PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Form

Gil Jones
20th September 2006, 01:55 PM
Here is my latest hollow form. It is 3.5" hi X 4.25 " wide. Turned from Spalted Beech, with a Black Cherry collar. Finished with two coats of boiled linseed oil, and is waiting to be buffed.

floobyduster
20th September 2006, 02:15 PM
Wow - now that's really nice :)

OGYT
20th September 2006, 02:56 PM
Gil, that's absolutely gorgeous! What a pattern on that wood, too!!
Good Listening. :o)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2006, 03:49 PM
:eek:

So, Gil, when are you opening your gallery? :D

Mikko
20th September 2006, 04:08 PM
VERY nice!!!
Did you stabilize it somehow?
That seems pretty rotten through.

My kind of piece!!! AAA+++

Cheers,
Mikko

ss_11000
20th September 2006, 04:33 PM
nice work gil. nice shine to it already.

TTIT
20th September 2006, 04:50 PM
Great when a piece of wood shouts out for itself isn't it :D Well done Gil :)

hughie
20th September 2006, 08:35 PM
Here is my latest hollow form. It is 3.5" hi X 4.25 " wide. Turned from Spalted Beech, with a Black Cherry collar. Finished with two coats of boiled linseed oil, and is waiting to be buffed

Gil,

Well what can I say, the accolades pour in, and rightly so. A very impressive piece. These collared items are fast becoming your signature :D

cedar n silky
20th September 2006, 09:55 PM
Very nice Gil:D

powderpost
20th September 2006, 10:08 PM
Very nice Gil, Spalting can produce some interesting patterns. Try mixing a bit of 'terebene' with the linseed oil. It will dry more quickly.
Jim

Caveman
21st September 2006, 12:48 AM
Hey Gil - that there is magic. Real nice work.
Thanks for sharing.

Gil Jones
21st September 2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all of the kind remarks.
Hughie, I do not know about a personal signature, but I do enjoy turning these hollow forms, and collars.
TTIT, a polished block of this wood does speak-out, but it is not so easy to get. This stuff was regular Beech, and I just sealed the log, and let it sit for 6-8 months and it spalted (which I was not expecting).
Skew, no gallery, there are three that have asked me to display and sell in them, but they want 40% commission, so the pieces are all over our home.
Mikko, The light tan areas are a bit softer than the darker areas, but there are only a few very soft streaks here and there. Wood stabilization was not needed.
Jim, I presume that "terebene" means turpentine.

hughie
21st September 2006, 11:26 AM
Skew, no gallery, there are three that have asked me to display and sell in them, but they want 40% commission, so the pieces are all over our home.

Gil, At 40% I would be looking at doing a web site,or tell them to add the 40 on top and leave your pocket out of it.....:D
The lady I have an arrangement with adds hers on top 17-30%. As it is a furniture type shop they are used for decor items as well as sale items

Gil Jones
21st September 2006, 11:42 AM
I am able to set my price, and the 40% is added to it. The problem I have with it all is that it seems to excessively inflate the selling price of the piece unless I am willing to lower my part of the price. I am not a production turner, and am not selling at wholesale. If the gallery was willing to purchase each piece for resale, then maybe I would be willing to go closer to a wholesale price, but this is essentially a consignment type of deal. So far they make nice gifts.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st September 2006, 02:23 PM
So far they make nice gifts.

You strike me as a rare bloke, Gil. I don't know many turner's capable of turning pieces of that quality who would look at it that way.

IMHO, it's an admirable attitude; please don't change. ;)

BernieP
21st September 2006, 04:07 PM
Incredible art!
Bernie