PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Pine

cedar n silky
20th September 2006, 10:03 PM
Someone down the road dropped a nice sized Hoop Pine (an Australian Pine), so me being me, hooked a chain around a fat 3 meter length, and towed it home behind the Hi-lux. Didn't do the road much good!!:eek:
Any experience or comments out there about it's suitability??:D (for bowl or spindle work?) Or is it best relagated to the firewood heap?
Noticed I now chose my words VERY carefully!;) I didn't ask "how does ---- turn", because as a newcomber, I copped a lot of interesting replies, when I made that mistake!!:o

Cliff Rogers
20th September 2006, 10:36 PM
Slab it & stack it.
Not good for fire wood, 98.97% resin (I made that up but it is close).
By the time it dries, you may as well be chucking tissues in the fire.

It is better than radiata for furniture work.
I've heard that rocking horse makers use it.
I don't know the reason why.

Try the new party trick I told you about.
Look it up, find the techo name & then do a search on the techo name.

Terry B
20th September 2006, 10:55 PM
I have an old sewing machine stand that has been made into a small table with a Hoop pine top. Looks pretty enough but I don't know how it would work.

soundman
20th September 2006, 11:03 PM
hoop is a lot more respectable than pinus crapiata.
stronger smother grain.....

exador dragged a cuple of big bits back to the yard & milled it up happily.

cheers

powderpost
20th September 2006, 11:15 PM
Hoop pine (Araucaria cunninghamii), widely used in days gone by for VJ sheeting, jamb linings, mouldings etc. Used plenty of it in the trade. Maybe Cliff is thinking of Caribea pine, which is quite resinous, gums up saws, and all sorts of machines. Hoop pine is a nice timber, very plain grain, and is ideal for making functional turnery, eg salad bowls, table legs, tables and chairs. Good for spindle turning too. In fact it was used for sink bench tops, when the sink was an enameled steel bowl fitted under the top, before the advent of stainless steel sinks and laminex.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
20th September 2006, 11:27 PM
Hoop pine (Araucaria cunninghamii),.... Maybe Cliff is thinking of Caribea pine, ....
Look like Hoop to me, we have (had) 44 of them til Larry came through. :D
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=21015&d=1143159299

rsser
21st September 2006, 07:08 AM
Did a bowl out of a piece years ago; from memory, even grain, little figure (except for a bit of bluestain), easy turning.

If it's susceptible to bluestain then block some down and seal asap.

TTIT
21st September 2006, 09:47 AM
I've turned a bit of it and it's pretty good as far as pines go. Quite like it actually :) BUT!!!! make sure you get the bark off quick smart or it will blue for sure (DAMHIKT). ..... Here's one I prepared earlier (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=25364)...:)

cedar n silky
21st September 2006, 04:59 PM
I've turned a bit of it and it's pretty good as far as pines go. Quite like it actually :) BUT!!!! make sure you get the bark off quick smart or it will blue for sure (DAMHIKT). ..... Here's one I prepared earlier (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=25364)...:)
Thanks for that TTIT- Didn't realise you were a master turner!!:o Beautiful jewelry box:) . Don't we spoil our daughters!!:D My daughter always got something I made, and now at 27 she really appreciates what I made, and i am continuing the tradition with the grandson!!