PDA

View Full Version : Talking about buying a new oven...

Jedo_03
20th September 2006, 11:12 PM
Hi All
Missus wants a new oven...
But we've been looking for one for ages. . .
See - she wants a GAS oven. . .
That's a gas WALL oven... Fan Forced
But they're as rare as hens teeth up here in the Silver City. . .
Oh - you can buy a floor standing white one
"They look cheap"
"Well, they are cheap. . "
"I don't fancy an electric one"
"Why not. . ?"

Anyone know where I can source a GAS WALL oven, usual size, that doesn't cost $1.5k in any other colour than white?
Ta
Cheers
Jedo

pharmaboy2
21st September 2006, 03:47 PM
haha goodluck, try and convince her on the fully sealed ovens - they are supposed to keep in the moisture for cakes and stuff - I assume thats the reason she want gas....good for pastries and stuff becasue they are humid, try glem at the local gas supply shop.

Jedo_03
21st September 2006, 09:59 PM
haha goodluck, try and convince her on the fully sealed ovens - they are supposed to keep in the moisture for cakes and stuff - I assume thats the reason she want gas....good for pastries and stuff becasue they are humid, try glem at the local gas supply shop.

Thanks for replying Pharmaboy.

glem ???

Cheers
Jedo

dazzler
21st September 2006, 10:03 PM
There arent many around cause they are a high service item. We had ours replaced three times and finally went to an electric oven/gas hotplates and never had a problem.

renomart
21st September 2006, 11:15 PM
Pssst! Wanna get a gas oven?

Go here (http://www.westinghouse.com.au/product/display/model/GOL472SLP) and tell them Renomart sent you! ;)

Jedo_03
22nd September 2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Renomart
Thanks very much for that.
We looked on Westinghouse's site last week - but didn't see this.
Cheers
Jedo

renomart
22nd September 2006, 09:19 PM
Glad I could help. :D They do have a few gas ovens in their range.

Doughboy
22nd September 2006, 09:24 PM
From a chefs point of view
900 mm
Gas cooktop
Electric fan forced oven
Free standing
Wok burner
Fish burner

Brands to think about

IAG
Miele
Eurolux
Westinghouse
Smeg

Dont pay more than 3k as unless you are doing some serious entertaining

I have a 900 mm IAG and I catered for 23 adults all in one oven wer had Lamb, Turkey and Duck on the day no worries at all.All my opinion of course take it or leave it...

Pete

seriph1
23rd September 2006, 07:58 PM
if the quality of result is a factor get electric - I was converted away from gas a few years ago and have never looked back. good luck convincing the boss

silkwood
27th September 2006, 09:04 AM
The gas oven will give a more moist cooking environment and as such will cook some things really well and others not so well. An electric oven can be "multifunction", that is it can be fan forced (rear element) AND fan assisted (top/bottom element) as well as a number of other combinations of those elements. This can make it much more flexible than a gas oven, but many still prefer the way gas can cook. Usuallythis is because they are used to gas.

A Smeg will give you both (it's the only true fully sealed oven, maintaining moisture but allowing flexibility of electric), but they are expensive for the same features as others, though no more so than something like Meile (good units but just overpriced in my opinion). For most peoeple a generally good electric multifunction oven will be excellent. Sorry Doughboy, but personally I wouldn't recommend the budget Europeans like IAG. They will do a reasonable job but the build quality is questionable. In the long term I would spend a little more on a mid to upper range European or go with the excellent (nowadays) Westinghouse. I think the new "E" Series Electrolux might have a gas unit and if so they will be worth checking out.

Cheers,

Mark