PDA

View Full Version : new verandah benches

Ironwood
20th September 2006, 11:51 PM
Here's some pics of the bench tops and cupboards I built for our verandah. The origanals were very outdated porcelyn tile benchtop and plywood shelves underneath, (these just had to go).

I used recycled Bluegum for the framework, Cooktown Ironwood for the benchtops, these were finished with Adeze 2-pack. the cupboard doors and drawer front were made out of some Khaya Mahogany, these were finished with Ameron pre-cat lacquer.

I have 2 doors made up for underneath the BBQ, these will be fitted, when i'm able

Ironwood
20th September 2006, 11:59 PM
Heres afew more pics. I used kitchen cupboard hinges on the doors, because they seemed the easiest way at the time. The drawer carcass is made of Camphour Laurel, the drawer is fitted with mechanical slides

This has improved our outdoor living so much that when the weather is good, most meals are cooked and eaten out here :) :)

Ticky
21st September 2006, 12:08 AM
Very nice mate, I think I would cook & eat out there as much as possible as well.

Steve

Jill
21st September 2006, 12:17 AM
Hi Ironwood - you call that veranda benches??? I call that 'El posho outdoor culinary food preparation centre'! Fantastic timber - those doors look like a fire!

Oh, and 'when the weather is good' - c'mon - Mackay - so you eat outside every night apart from about 14 days/yr?!!! BUT - we noticed the mossie arsenal is the main thing in the cupboard...that's one thing we don't miss over here!!

Now my hubby wants to see the inside kitchen, if that's the outside one!!

Cheers,

Jill

Ironwood
21st September 2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks Steve, It certainly beats the indoor life.

Thanks also Jill, the Khaya Mahogany can certainly be a spectacular timber.
We lived way up north for the last fifteen years, still havent acclimatised to these southern winters yet, 12 deg/C on verandah at the moment.

Wild Dingo
21st September 2006, 03:30 AM
ABSOFLAMINLUTELY BRILLIANT!! :cool: I mean that... thats stunning mate well done! :cool:

That timber is excellent isnt it? like truely specky as the kids say :cool:

Man I just gotta do somethin about my barbie area!!! :eek: damnitall why did I look?? This has just added yet ANOTHER flamin to do to the "to do" list :rolleyes:

Beautiful... and just in time for the festive season to eh? :cool:

I also noticed that you also have fast movin resident spiders up there eh! seems one has taken up your offer of residence in the new fangled fancy outdoor kitchen food preperation areas drawers! :D

gjrudqhr
21st September 2006, 03:34 AM
Wow Ironwood! the doors really are blazing, they look beautiful. Yeah~ gotta agree with Jill here~ just take the 12 deg light up the BBQ and enjoy~! very very nice.

Francis(since gjrudqhr IS a bit hard to type)

oges
21st September 2006, 09:05 AM
Very impressive, sure has added some flash to your BBQ area

Doughboy
21st September 2006, 09:13 AM
Excellent work there Ironwood. My old man used the same style when he made his kitchen out of red gum, Jarrah and blue gum, your is an awesome set up for an outdoor entertainment area. I look forward to an invite to christen it, but I am not sure SWMBO would be too impressed with a drive that big for a lil ol' bbq christening!!!!

Pete

Exador
21st September 2006, 09:13 AM
That khaya is gorgeous, isn't it? I've got a couple of cubes that is nearly dry, and I'm looking forward to having a bit of a play with it. Have you found it stable? It seems to have dried pretty well so far, with only heart shakes in both slabs and boards.

Ironwood
21st September 2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the feed back Guys. :D
Well Spotted there W Dingo, I thought I removed all the wildlife before I took the pics. Our spiders are pretty quick in these parts, and some of them are big enough to carry off a small dog, HUGE :eek: .

mongrell
21st September 2006, 09:17 AM
geat job mate looks too good for outside and that mahogany is a real stunner

Andy Mac
21st September 2006, 09:20 AM
Very flash there, Ironwood, looks like something out of a magazine!

Enjoy the fruits of your labour!!:)

Ironwood
21st September 2006, 09:20 AM
That khaya is gorgeous, isn't it? I've got a couple of cubes that is nearly dry, and I'm looking forward to having a bit of a play with it. Have you found it stable? It seems to have dried pretty well so far, with only heart shakes in both slabs and boards.

If the Khaya is stacked well it is very stable. I have a few warped and twisted Slabs, that were'nt stacked as well as they should have been. once dried I find it hardly moves at all

mongrell
21st September 2006, 09:23 AM
is it aussie wood and where does it grow and where can i get some hehe

Exador
21st September 2006, 09:32 AM

It's African timber, but there are plantations of it around Darwin. I got mine from a tree that was felled at Mt Coot-tha Botanic gardens here in Brissy. If you're genuinely after some, I'll sell at $3500/cube.

Ironwood
21st September 2006, 09:41 AM

Mong, its not a native, it comes from Africa, (one of its cmmon names is African Mahogany). I used to work in a mining town where it had been planted extensively in town and surrounds, lots of it blows over in storms and cyclones, which is how i got most of mine.
I have seen logs for sale at a Forestry Dept auction at Atherton N/QLD about 5 years ago, apparently they had some in a plantation. It also is growing well in Darwin, I have heard it can be gotten quite easily up there

Harry72
21st September 2006, 04:25 PM
Nice BBQ mate... cabinets are nice too!
The sink is a handy idea saves dragging the dishes inside, does it have its own set of plates and stuff?

Al B
21st September 2006, 09:10 PM
Wow :eek: very nice job mate, I bet you hardly cook and eat inside now. Well done

Ironwood
21st September 2006, 09:23 PM
Nice BBQ mate... cabinets are nice too!
The sink is a handy idea saves dragging the dishes inside, does it have its own set of plates and stuff?

Harry , we will eventually put all the plates and tools out there, once we work out what we'll need. The sink is the best thing since sliced bread, its only plumbed up to cold water, but thats ok. sure beats going inside all the time.
Will be buying a bar fridge to go under the right hand side of the benchtop soon, at the moment theres a full size fridge up the other end of verandah, it will be able to go down the shed :) .

Al , no doubt we'll spend plenty of time out there now that the winter has gone, SWMBO wants a TV out there but i'm not too keen on that, nice and peaceful at the moment, and the NRL is almost finished for the year, not much else worth watching

TTIT
22nd September 2006, 02:02 PM
is it aussie wood and where does it grow and where can i get some heheRemember the tree in the backyard Tom - that's why I call it the 'furniture tree'!;):D

Wardy
22nd September 2006, 04:10 PM
stunning, beautiful,exotic,that is one awesome outdoor entertaining area ironwood.excellent craftsmanship:)

zenwood
24th September 2006, 05:15 AM
Man, oh man! I nominate that for the best BBQ in Australia! Fantastic work, Ironwood.

Ironwood
26th October 2006, 01:59 PM
Well I managed to get a bit of enthusiasm going and decided to finish the BBQ cupboards.

Been looking at them for the last couple of months, while I've been sick. Have changed my mind on what to use on the side panels about a dozen times, almost went with Khaya Mahogany floating panels, ended up going for Red Cedar weatherboards.

I made these out of the old door frame that I replaced on the back of our house last year, thats why they have nail and screw holes in them.
I'm glad I went in this direction now, as I like the way they look. I think the floating panels would have been too much of the same thing.

What do you think?

Tex79
26th October 2006, 05:33 PM
Beautiful work Ironwood, it's better than most of our kitchens.
I think your choice of wood for the panels was well thought out, the colour and grain really give it some character

AlexS
26th October 2006, 06:41 PM
Now that's a barbeque! Great work & choice of timbers.

masoth
26th October 2006, 06:44 PM
Ironwood, you have me wishing I was 50 years younger so I could continue in wood work, insterad of coming back to it so late - beautiful work.

soth

Ironwood
26th October 2006, 06:50 PM
Beautiful work Ironwood, it's better than most of our kitchens.
I think your choice of wood for the panels was well thought out, the colour and grain really give it some character

Thanks Tex. I am pleased with the result.
One thing I might change though, is the gas supply hose on the right hand side of BBQ. I'm thinking I might make up a copper pipe and run it internally, so its out of sight.
If I do that, I have a couple of spare bits of weatherboard left over, to replace the top one with the hole for the gas hose.

Ironwood
26th October 2006, 06:54 PM
Now that's a barbeque! Great work & choice of timbers.

Ironwood, you have me wishing I was 50 years younger so I could continue in wood work, insterad of coming back to it so late - beautiful work.

soth

Thanks Alex and Soth

Groggy
26th October 2006, 07:05 PM
BBQ at your place?

Lovely work.

Ironwood
26th October 2006, 07:07 PM
BBQ at your place?

Lovely work.

If you want to make the trip I'll supply the steak and snags :)

Smiley Guy
28th October 2006, 02:58 PM
Only problem is now that you'll have to buy a gold plated BBQ to go with it! Excellent stuff.

Scally
28th October 2006, 03:14 PM
Great job and beautiful timbers.
I assume the heavy duty finishes are to protect the timbers against the weather.
Have you had success with them before?
It would be a shame to lose those great colours.

Ironwood
28th October 2006, 11:01 PM
Only problem is now that you'll have to buy a gold plated BBQ to go with it! Excellent stuff.

The lowly old SS one will have to for a while longer I'm afraid, unless I win Lotto tonight

Great job and beautiful timbers.
I assume the heavy duty finishes are to protect the timbers against the weather.
Have you had success with them before?
It would be a shame to lose those great colours.

The benchtops cop a fair hiding out there. Our resident Rock Wallabies think they are an obstacle course. They get very little sun, due to the amount of trees we have. But when it rains they spend a bit of time covered in moisture. The Adeze is a very tough finish, I have managed to scratch it though. Might try some U-beaut EEE on it soon to see how it comes up.