PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters won't tweet!!

Bleedin Thumb
22nd September 2006, 12:11 PM
A question for the Audio Dudes.

Both my tweeters have stopped working on my cars stereo. I recently replaced the original audiovox with an Alpine. The tweeters are wired to the 6" speakers in the doors which work OK. I rulled out the connection by using the 6" speaker feed direct - nothing. Can the capacitor blow? how to check? could it be something else?
I'm a bit electronically challenged so I wouldn't have a clue about ohms etc just know if it makes a noise it works.:o
any clues would be good.
Cheers

Dan
22nd September 2006, 05:13 PM
Tried adjusting the treble up on the head unit?

bennylaird
22nd September 2006, 05:20 PM
put a meter across the speaker with it disconnected, should get a low reading, about 4-8 ohms. If it's open then they have burnt out.

soundman
22nd September 2006, 05:25 PM
Common problem with a variety of causes.
most common.
Tweeters shagged out after a long squark, would be pushing up the daisies if they werent screwed to the doors.:o

capacitors in crossover shagged out after long squark..... as above.... a lot less common.

tweeters wiring has gone astray somewhere...... I 'd put my money there.

Tweeters connected other ways than you thaught such as thru a front rear fader or something similar.

without techo dude test gear you are left with eyeballing the connections.

Simplest test gear a piece of fig 8 connected to the earphone jack of a little tranny radio. won't blow anything up and will give a signal.
cheers
''

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd September 2006, 05:37 PM
The home mechanic remedy...

Fix a length of fig 8 wire to the tweeter terminals and one wire of the other end to a car battery. Brush the other end across the opposite terminal. Two possible results:Nothing. No noise whatsoever. The tweeters are beyond it. A crackle then nothing. You've just blown the tweeters, they're now beyond it.

The solution? Run down to JB HiFi and treat yourself to a new set of speakers. May as well look at a new CD-stacker and matching head unit while you're at it. ;)

Bleedin Thumb
22nd September 2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys, Ive spent the last 2 months trying to find my multi meter, Even tidied the shed ( took two days ), bit the bullet and bought a new one (sure way for the old one to show up) but its digital and I am trying to get used to the rotten thing anyway tommorow I'll give Bennys suggestion a go..sounds a little safer than the battery terminal Skew:eek: .
Soundman the wiring is pretty straight forward so it looks like its either the capacitor or more likely shagged out.
Damn more money...
Thanks Guys.:)

Harry72
23rd September 2006, 01:29 PM
Sounds like an excuse to upgrade to some decent speakers... MB Quart maybe(quality brand), line the doors with some dyna mat while your there it worth the extra expense!

Bleedin Thumb
24th September 2006, 01:07 PM
Well youre right Harry, yesterday after testing said tweeters realising they had gone to the great speaker box in the sky I went and bought some newbies also realised that the main speakers I had purchased were wrong size and changed them Now...DOUF DOUf big time:cool: . Harry I didn't read your post re speakers/dyna mat untill after the deed was done so I saved myself some money by not follwing your thoughtful advice. Clarion speakers on special!;)

soundman
24th September 2006, 11:37 PM
(Puts on silly face & john cleese voice.)
I told you these tweeter have pased on, they are demised, they are connected to the sound system invisibule, any reference to these tweeters being a going concern are null and void, if they weren't screwed to the doors they'd be pushing up the daisies,...... they've snuffed it!

cheers

Bleedin Thumb
25th September 2006, 12:20 AM
Piiiining for tha fiooords.

soundman
25th September 2006, 12:52 AM
Pinein for the fejords..... thats because they were stolen from a volvo

VOOM VOOM these tweeters wouldnt voom if they had 4 milion volts thru them.

I supose I'll have to exchange them then.
how about an 8 track cartrige player..
does it go...
No

:D :D

cheers

Harry72
25th September 2006, 02:53 AM
"Clarion speakers" yep just a tad cheaper than MB Quarts!(not)