PDA

View Full Version : Addict waiting to happen...

Krank
23rd September 2006, 02:22 PM
I have a few (lots of) questions as my addiction presents itself in full colour (21 years in the waiting!). I have just bought a Record Power DML24X (3 Speed Belt) for $250AUS (it was 2nd hand, but has never been used), is this a reasonable price???

I have bought a 6 piece set of Robert Sorby Chisels while in Canada for $219CAN (approx $240AUS). Is this a good price??? These chisels (look and feel fantastic) were recommended while I was there.

I am now in need of several other items, a base for the Lathe especially. Can anyone recommend a stand for my lathe, an approximate price, and where I can get one (Sydney or surrounding areas)? Any other equiptment and wood turning supply recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I also need safety mask... gloves... wood... and so on....

(So basically... I am sitting here with a good machine, great chisels... and I CAN'T DO ANYTHING YET!!! This is worse than not having a lathe at all!!!) I just want to start turning!!!

Thanks for any assistance you may have!

Cheers, Krank

jchappo
23rd September 2006, 08:53 PM
Not familiar with that particular lathe, but I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

Trend Timbers at Mulgrave (Windsor) is a good source of turning blanks, plus finishing materials and tools. Trend Timbers (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/)

Carbatec at Auburn are the main woodworking suppliers in Sydney CARBA-TEC - Australia's Largest Range of Tools for Wood (http://www.carbatec.com.au/)

also Hare & Forbes at Northwood ...Welcome to Hare & Forbes Machinery House... (http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/)

John

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2006, 09:16 PM
Don't know the lathe, so can't recommend a stand. Sorry. But what's stopping you from sitting it on a bench for the meantime? ;)

$240- for Sorby chisels... that's a good price. You're looking at $40-50 per each basic Sorby tool, unhandled.

And one thing you don't want to overlook: a grinder. A 6" bench grinder with Aluminium Oxide wheel is the basic sharpening kit.

Happy turning! Once you get it all happening, that is. :D

BernieP
23rd September 2006, 09:31 PM
G'Day Krank,
Sounds like a good buy perhaps you might to look at this link http://www.promaxtool.com/wood/productpage.asp?product=252

Bernie

Speanwoody
23rd September 2006, 10:36 PM
Hi I Know this is a uk site but it will give you an idea what is available etc, also maybe if you send them an email they may tell you where they have outlets in Au
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?s=products

JohnM
23rd September 2006, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the addiction. I have the 36 inch version of your lathe. I made a bench the height required and bolted the lathe to that. It has worked fine for several years. 50mm rhs frame, timber top. Have fun

John

lubbing5cherubs
24th September 2006, 12:16 AM
Welcome to the board. You are being a good boy if that was me. I be sitting on the floor with a bit of wood I found around the yard. I actually done that. My lathe arrived at 3pm and my hubby did not arrive home from work til 4.30 so here I was sitting on the ground in 40 degree heat out in the open having a play on piece of pine that was from rebuilding the house. I was so excited to have it. And I am still playing but it now up on a desk.
bye Toni
Toni

OGYT
24th September 2006, 08:48 AM
Welcome, Krank. Best addiction to have.
If'n it was me, I'd get a four-jaw chuck or two. The best chucks are made in Oz... Teknatool. They make one that's called a SuperNova2. Well... others may not think it's the best... but I do. I bought one, then bought another body, and some power jaws. Hold anything I've ever put on them, including a 90 pound chunk of red oak.
Just a suggestion. :o)

Krank
24th September 2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all your pointers and suggestions. Its greatly appreciated!

I have to get a bench of somesort and the rest will follow I reckon.

Cheers, Krank

OGYT
24th September 2006, 01:05 PM
Checked out the site that Colin put up, and your lathe sells for (If I can remember) about 175 English Pounds... don't have a conversion table for that.

Krank
24th September 2006, 03:52 PM
Welcome to the addiction. I have the 36 inch version of your lathe. I made a bench the height required and bolted the lathe to that. It has worked fine for several years. 50mm rhs frame, timber top. Have fun

John

Hey John, I would like to extend the bed of my lathe to 36" also. Do you know where I can get the iron rods that are longer than the ones I have? I think I have about 26-28" at the moment.

Thanks, Krank

Grizz
24th September 2006, 04:04 PM
Hi Krank,

You've started on the slippery slope that will see you spending all you time either in your shed or on the forum. I know, cause I'm there already :D. My advice, in addition to others, would be to get the triton powered respirator to protect your lungs. It's a very good investment. In terms of getting wood, try demolition yards etc. Second hand, well seasoned wood can be a challenge to turn, but can give some remarkable results. Old pallets can be a good source too.

Grizz.

Krank
24th September 2006, 04:44 PM
Hey Grizz.

The powered respirator would probably be my best investment, seeing as I have suffered a collapsed lung :eek: in the past ! No, it was not from smoking...

Thanks very, very much for the tip! My shout!

Cheers, Krank

hughie
25th September 2006, 02:23 PM
The powered respirator would probably be my best investment, seeing as I have suffered a collapsed lung :eek: in the past ! No, it was not from smoking...

Old pallets can be a good source too.

krank

definitley get some sort of lung protection, especially in your case. Also some if not all of the hardwood pallets used to be treated with a chemical to prevent rot. white ants and the like.....so treat em carefully.
Other wise welcome aboard

Gil Jones
25th September 2006, 02:28 PM
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?p=DML24X-MK2&a=i

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.pl?s=links&type=A&p=DML24X-MK2

JohnM
25th September 2006, 08:54 PM
Hi again Krank

The rods on my lathe are 57 inchs long. I don't know a supplier, but I would try a steel supplier for suitable steel bar, preferably stainless.

Also, a cheat tip - mount the brackets in from the end of the rods, and the headstock and tailstock outboard of them; cribs a few more inchs. Also allows the headstock to be mounted back-to-front, instant large bowl turner!!

Have fun

John

keith53
25th September 2006, 09:36 PM
I have a few (lots of) questions as my addiction presents itself in full colour (21 years in the waiting!). I have just bought a Record Power DML24X (3 Speed Belt) for $250AUS (it was 2nd hand, but has never been used), is this a reasonable price???

I have bought a 6 piece set of Robert Sorby Chisels while in Canada for $219CAN (approx $240AUS). Is this a good price??? These chisels (look and feel fantastic) were recommended while I was there.

I am now in need of several other items, a base for the Lathe especially. Can anyone recommend a stand for my lathe, an approximate price, and where I can get one (Sydney or surrounding areas)? Any other equiptment and wood turning supply recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I also need safety mask... gloves... wood... and so on....

(So basically... I am sitting here with a good machine, great chisels... and I CAN'T DO ANYTHING YET!!! This is worse than not having a lathe at all!!!) I just want to start turning!!!

Thanks for any assistance you may have!

Cheers, Krank

I have one, bought it 10 years ago for $550 so your price was quite good. I have a chuck set for this model that I'd like to sell, having upgraded to a Vicmarc chuck last year. Also, you can convert the lathe to swiveling head, cam lock adjustments etc. by buying a kit from Record.

Re: the lathe bench, make one! I used 3 X 2 pine (doubled for the posts) and extended tenons with hardwood pins. Looks OK, works well & cost bugger all. :D

Cheers,
Keith