PDA

View Full Version : Candlesticks

BernieP
23rd September 2006, 05:15 PM
G'Day all,

well had my first go at candlesticks yesterday, quite happy with first one, then went to make twin today, let me say we have a set of identical twins in amongst our six kids, and a couple of not identical ones amongst grand kids. They certainly turned out like the grand kids not the original identical ones. Guess I will have to buy some verniers or something, eye not as straight as used to be. Anyway as I intend to plot my progress on this forum and include failures for usual helpful comments...herewith...

lubbing5cherubs
23rd September 2006, 07:07 PM
Still look very nice
toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd September 2006, 07:27 PM
Interesting fittings, I'm not too sure about dripping hot wax on dolphins though. :D

Yeah, copy turning's not the easiest of jobs, even the slightest mismatch tends to jump out to the eye when put side by side like that. Vernier gauges are nice to have for precise measurements of one piece, but I think a set of calipers is more practical for copying.

Can be used with the lathe still running and generally cheaper than verniers. ;)

BernieP
23rd September 2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks for advice skew will look into calipers.
Bernie

Hickory
24th September 2006, 05:30 AM
Bernie, did you start with a full scale drawing, or perhaps a mock-up cutout? I guess not, It is hard to turn a matching pair of candle holders or 4 identical table legs or 8 end table legs or 24 Chair legs, etc. without a prior plan with measurements and calipers and such. As you have figured out "Eyeball matching" often is not too easy, especially when the numbers increase.

You have a good start going but for duplicate turnings you need to make a story board where the shape is identified, and all the dimensions are located and identified. from this piece you can set your depth of cuts woth a parting tool and caliper. Make duplicates that match exactly. some fellows use a duplicator attachment....:mad: I prefer to work from a detailed plan and allow my abilities to come through, This is where skill not speed comes to play.

Some argue and say "we don't need no freekin plans" That is fooey and smells like dooey. Learn to make a simple plan draw the shape you want the final outcome (you don't have to draw it all . just 1/2 with a center line. Locate the major depth chances, (bottom of cove, edge of ridge, top of bead, etc.) mark them and indicate the place for the parting tool to establish the depth of cut. And then remove all unnecessary material to achieve identical products.

There is more to it than that, but you need to learn to do such. (there are a ton of books in the libruary on the subject) If you don't have calipers you can make Go/No-go devices by cutting card stock or plywood to the diameter width of the measurement. or even with smaller turners use open-end wrenches to determine the diameter.

Like I said, you have a good beginning and need to embelish your talents by learning proper planned procedures.

OGYT
24th September 2006, 08:28 AM
You may not have an identical set, but you certainly got a matched pair.:D Grandkids are mostly better than kids, anyway...:eek: at least to me 'n' grandma. ;)
I'd say you did a mighty fine (spot on?) job, Bernie. If you'd made 'em exact, you couldn't tell 'em apart.:p
Thanks for posting. Good stuff.
BTW, a good flame thrower will take that candle wax right off the dolphins.:D

BernieP
24th September 2006, 06:56 PM
Skew
Went and bought a set of calipers today, thanks for advice

Hickory
Thanks for your reply and part about story board, I will have a look on the internet tonight and see what I can find, if not then off to library.

Toni and Al thanks for encouragement.

And just as a by the way this has got to be the best and most helpful forum on the web

Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th September 2006, 07:06 PM
Went and bought a set of calipers today, thanks for advice

You're welcome. Eventually you'll end up buying all the other little utilities and gadgets as well, but I'm quietly confident that your calipers will be one of the most used gauges.

You have a good start going but for duplicate turnings you need to make a story board where the shape is identified, and all the dimensions are located and identified. from this piece you can set your depth of cuts woth a parting tool and caliper. Make duplicates that match exactly. some fellows use a duplicator attachment....:mad: I prefer to work from a detailed plan and allow my abilities to come through, This is where skill not speed comes to play.

My design skills seem to suffer in the translation from paper to timber. :rolleyes: Once I turn a piece I'm happy with, then I'll take direct measurements and jot them down on paper. I'll forgive you if you mistake my reference sheet for a set of plans, though. ;)

IMHO duplicators only shift the type of work one has to do... it'll rough the shape but I've yet to see one that gives a good surface, ready for a finish! I suppose they do take the need for skill out of the equation, good for turning out large quantities of the same object. But that's not why I'm in the game.

Personally I much prefer to spend my time with steel in hand rather than grit.