PDA

View Full Version : spalted cedar haircut box

Ironwood
24th September 2006, 06:06 PM
I decided to make a box to hold all the haircuting gear as the drawstring bag that the clippers came in was a pain in the a***.
This is my first real attempt at handcut dovetails, I usually use the Leigh D4. the sides are White Cedar that have a bit of spalting, the lid is Red Cedar, the divider is a piece of Ironbark (I think), the bottom is a piece of 6mm ply (was going to use Red Cedar for bottom also, but spotted the ply offcut under the bench, so I used it instead :o )
I used polyurethane glue, which seemed to fill any gaps pretty well, did leave visible gluelines on bigger gaps though

I gave the botom and the insides a couple of coats of white shellac (wasnt sure how much spray coverage would get inside) then gave the whole thing 3 coats of Ameron full gloss lacquer.
It now lives in the new verandah cupboard, as thats where the haircuts happen :)

Gumby
24th September 2006, 06:14 PM
Nice work. :)

Wardy
24th September 2006, 07:10 PM
great work ironwood, good contrast with the choise of timbers.the memories came flooding back looking at the clippers. short back and sides in the early 60's(thats all my father new):eek::D.

ozwinner
24th September 2006, 07:14 PM
This is my first real attempt at handcut dovetails,

Come on fess up, you used the Leigh didnt you.....:p :D

Nice box too...

Al :)

Ironwood
24th September 2006, 08:17 PM
Come on fess up, you used the Leigh didnt you.....:p :D

Al :)

I must admit, I was intending to use the router and D4 when I was thinking about making a box, then thought it might be a bit less dusty and noisy doing 'em by hand, so I thought "bugger it, I'll give it a go, and see what all the fuss is about" :rolleyes: :)

Sculptured Box
24th September 2006, 08:40 PM
Ironwood

Nice work.

Good to see you've used Ply and saved a piece of Red Cedar for another box?

gazaly
24th September 2006, 11:58 PM
Nice stuff IW. Like the white cedar. Something I haven't used before.

Don't know about the DS method of DT though...:D

Does the box improve the head post haircut? :p

woodsprite
25th September 2006, 12:57 AM
Lovely box - like the timbers used - and I am VERY impressed that you do your haircuts in a cupboard!:)

Ironwood
25th September 2006, 09:39 AM
Lovely box - like the timbers used - and I am VERY impressed that you do your haircuts in a cupboard!:)
If you saw my head you would understand :eek:

Does the box improve the head post haircut? :p
used to use a bowl, now I can use the box :)

Good to see you've used Ply and saved a piece of Red Cedar for another box?
your putting the pressure on now :D

newbyold
30th September 2006, 04:47 PM
Very nice!!!

I have a soft spot (excuse the pun) for spalted timber - always gives original character per piece.:D

DPB
1st October 2006, 05:24 PM
Don't you just love wooden boxes! Nicely done.:)