PDA

View Full Version : First attempt with Gifkin jig

Zephyrone
24th September 2006, 06:29 PM
SWMBO said that if I bought the Gifkin jig at the Sydney T&WWW show I had to make boxes for the family for Christmas presents. This is my first attempt, a tea bag box for my daughter. Timber from Trend, jarrah lid and bottom, rose tulip oak sides and western red ceder dividers. I'm a bit disappointed with the contrast between the jarrah and the RTO but otherwise quietly pleased. I'm still tossing up whether to hinge it. Oh yes .. organoil & wax finish. For an idea of scale, each of the compartments is just big enough to get a small stack of Tetley tea bags into.

Gumby
24th September 2006, 06:59 PM
I like greater contrasts when using dovetails too, but as a first up effort it's a top job. Gotta keep the boss happy you know. :D

Stuart
24th September 2006, 07:26 PM
I'm sure SWMBO will approve - well done.

I like the high contrast as well, but there is also a place for subtle, strong, quality joints too.

I found with Jarrah particularly that you can get a significant range of contrasts depending on how much you oil it. I gave one piece of work about 10-15 coats burnished in for a real rich colour, and left the borders with only a couple of coats for a nice contrast, despite the entire item being made from Jarrah.

Ashore
24th September 2006, 11:44 PM
Mate the first of many , great job , have made a few "T" boxes myself for pressies , have found that old wooden venician blidns make the best internals

Don't you just love the gifkin jig , have you built a dedicated table yet with two routers , when you do you will make twice as many boxes etc

Check out his other router bits for box making they add another deminision

Rgds

Russell

gazaly
24th September 2006, 11:50 PM
BEAUTiful work mate. Why not try some sheoak with the jarrah? Comes up a treat.

Keep it up, and photo's :)

Zephyrone
25th September 2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. You make me a very proud old box builder.

Sculptured Box
25th September 2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. You make me a very proud old box builder.

...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enough of the "old" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!..................

Was it George Bernard Shaw who said "Youth is wasted on the young." ?

Doughboy
25th September 2006, 09:19 PM
I think he falls into this category

Old enough to know better BUT young enough to do it again!!!

IMHO of course

Pete

thetassiebfg
25th September 2006, 09:23 PM
For my 2c worth..

Great Job

1 down 574 to go - All the rellies and friends will be after one if you aren't careful..

keith53
25th September 2006, 09:27 PM
Well done. I only said to swmbo yesterday, "a tea box would make a nice giftf". :D

sea dragon
25th September 2006, 11:04 PM
Good stuff.....but I did not see you willing to offer your box-making skills for charity.
You are depriving the non-family/relatives the chance to have such a fine pressie.
I would give you a link, but am still too much of a Luddite, but hopefully others will take up the exhrtaton.