PDA

View Full Version : Cedar & Swamp Mahogany Trinkets

dai sensei
24th September 2006, 07:52 PM
I’ve been scoring a fair bit of timber from the road job I am working on. Most of it going to the chipper as it was not economically viable for the millers to come in:mad: . I only have a small chainsaw, but have managed to score quite a bit and my carport is rapidly filling up:D :D :D . One was a large swamp mahogany that had fallen over many years ago – around 6 foot dia and too big for me to touch:( . When the dozers pushed over the stump, there were up to 2 foot dia roots – perfect for my little chainsaw and I scored 2 ute loads:p . Unfortunately there wasn’t enough time to call a slabber in, I only had that night, the next day it was all chips.:mad:

When I was showing some people at work the depth of colour and grain at the cut, the boss said, I’ve got an old cedar on my farm that fell over years ago – are you interested? Is the pope catholic I thought to myself quietly:rolleyes: . Without appearing to enthusiastic, I suggested he cut off a branch to see if it was rotten. He returned a few weeks later with a 300mm dia branch that had beautiful colour and grain:eek: :D . He reckons there is a few ton of it, so I am off with the trailer ASAP:cool: .

The photos show some trinket boxes made from the stuff. The back and right the cedar, the front and left swamp mahogany. The 3D effect is huge and have come out a lot lighter in the photograph (the swamp mahogany at the left looks weird in the photo, but it is just the photo). With the cedar, I turned one with the grain, the other side on. The one with the grain also had some beautiful fiddleback to it as well:cool: .

cedar n silky
24th September 2006, 08:03 PM
;) ;)
Lovely work by the way!! I scored a bit of cedar, and because it grew out in a paddock, and probably got the top chewed out of it, it branched down low, and grew with lots of colour and fidle back. I'd be chasing your boss up for the rest, qiuck smart, otherwise, Nerang isn't for from here!!

Cliff Rogers
24th September 2006, 08:59 PM
Hey Neil, they are classed as boxes, you should join in here.... ;)
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=37925

soundman
24th September 2006, 11:59 PM
remember neil that there are always freinds close by with larger chainsaws an trailer willing to help for a CUT (:D ) of the spoils.
cheers

Exador
25th September 2006, 08:10 AM
I’ve been scoring a fair bit of timber from the road job I am working on. Most of it going to the chipper as it was not economically viable for the millers to come in:mad: .

Yeah, that was a bugger, Neil. Unfortunately, unless the stuff is a decent size, it just isn't a worthwhile proposition, especially with the work that is available for the mill. I still would have been interested in some of it, but got overruled. Don't let it stop you telling us about similar stuff in future, though. You might be able to get site-milling into the tenders as well...

Beautiful work, too, which only makes me more regretful.

RufflyRustic
25th September 2006, 09:23 AM
Gorgeous Turnings Neil! Love the grain and fiddleback - absolute little humdingers!!

cheers
Wendy

Gil Jones
25th September 2006, 02:18 PM
Neil, you have turned some fine lidded boxes, and have done the lovely wood proud.
It is grand that you can give a new life to a good-looking piece of nature.

dai sensei
25th September 2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, that was a bugger...

Unfortunately most of it was scrubby stuff and not the larger sized specimens. I wasn't until they cleared it did the rare moster appear, like this swamp mahogany that was actually on the ground.

I'll keep you in mind next time Soundman (& others). Unfortunately there was little time this time, it was there today gone tomorrow type timing. The project is in full swing and nothing stops progress.

I'll being going out to the boss's farm in 2 weeks, I'm in Melbourne next week, so I will check out how much is actually there. He is already talking about keeping some of it, and I can't use/store too much anyway. I will post if there is more to be had for others.

Thanks to the others for compliments - had fun turning them.

Cheers

OGYT
25th September 2006, 04:07 PM
Sure do like those boxes, Neil. Gives me a boot to maybe do some boxes, too.
Thanks.

ss_11000
25th September 2006, 10:53 PM
awesome boxes. love the grain in the one on the right. brilliant. :cool: