PDA

View Full Version : Lathe wanted

Jigger
25th September 2006, 09:40 PM
G'day
I am new to this forum and seeking advice. :confused:
I am looking to buy a new lathe, I returned the GMC (I was given as a birthday gift) to Bunnings after the tailstock retainig plate spaped and the head stock drive pully fell off. I have also sold a Ryobi (Carbatec MC1000) where the tail stock and head stock misaligned by 10mm, after replacing the cracked tailstock and motor. Enough is enough I want something that won't breakdown and can be relied on to be accurate.

Min Specs : 900 bed, 300 over bed, outboard turning, electronic variable speed, indexing

Jet, Delta, Crabatec, tek., ect., I have $900-$1500 to spend, Suggestions please. ( I'm prepared to hold out till the Melb ww show.)

Cheers;)

ss_11000
25th September 2006, 10:32 PM
i dont know much bout the bigger expensive lathes but this one looks good.

http://gpwoodturning.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107136770&product_id=1107219998

some one in melb would have one or gpw might be at the wwww show

cheers

Stuart
25th September 2006, 10:37 PM
I've been fighting that headstock pulley for years - damned thing :(

If I had an oxy-acetylene kit, my problems would be over (one way or the other!!!!!!!!)

Jim Carroll
25th September 2006, 10:39 PM
Skew it is close enough to the Melbourne wood show that it would be wise to wait till then and have a closer look at them all in the one place.

As a heads up Teknatool are re introducing the Nova 3000 at this show which will fit into your budget. See it on stand 180.

Sorry for the blatant advertising.

chrisb691
25th September 2006, 10:50 PM
Skew it is close enough to the Melbourne wood show that it would be wise to wait till then and have a closer look at them all in the one place.

As a heads up Teknatool are re introducing the Nova 3000 at this show which will fit into your budget. See it on stand 180.

Sorry for the blatant advertising.

While you're on the subject of stand 180 Jim, will it have any Leda Minis on it? :)

Jigger
25th September 2006, 11:17 PM
Can you PM me with lathe specs and price. The lathe on your link is 3k+ out of my budjet.:o

Jim Carroll
26th September 2006, 09:45 AM
Skew I have added the lathe to our web site for everyone to see.http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884;product_id=1107423581

Must find out how to make the links shorter.:rolleyes:

Chris at the moment I have not had any confirmation in regard to the Leda mini lathe but we will chase this up.

lubbing5cherubs
26th September 2006, 09:55 AM
Well Jim while you are on talking about lathes (leda) one do you or can you get the larger one? and how much are they? and are they as good as there minis? or just not worth the money you spend on them? I know lots of question but I am curious and thinking that all at this stage
bye
Toni

Rookie
26th September 2006, 12:56 PM
Skew I have added the lathe to our web site for everyone to see.http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884;product_id=1107423581

Checked out the link Jim and I must say, very nice for the price. ZERO dollars. Is that price just for the WWW show, or will it still be that cheap afterwards. :D :D :D :D :D

Aaahhhhh. Can't help meself. Cracked meself up all over again. :D :D :D

tashammer
26th September 2006, 01:22 PM
i like the price as well. i think i will order several at that price, hmmm, maybe one for each day of the week? Trouble with stands is that they are all for little people. i am 6'3" and need something a little higher otherwise i look like a hunched millipede. :-)

lubbing5cherubs
26th September 2006, 01:30 PM
i am 6'3" and need something a little higher otherwise i look like a hunched millipede. :-)

Wow you must of been a naughty boy. I am all 5foot I was a good girl and my dad kept patting my head.:p :D
Just could not resist sorry
Toni

Jigger
26th September 2006, 01:33 PM
:) :) Jim
Thankyou for the info I to am impressed by the price, wonder what it will be by the time of the WWS.

Jim Carroll
26th September 2006, 06:32 PM
We are looking at an introductory price and offer for the show but we are still haggling with Teknatool.

Toni with the lathe you have the next progression would be the Nova 1624-44. All the other lathes in between can do the same as you have now. This is the starting point for the more serious quality lathes.

Tas if you want one for each day of the week just leave me with your credit card and we will fix it up for you.:D
The new stand is adjustable as to your height I am not sure but we will all find out in Melbourne, the other option is to build your own purpose built stand.

Rookie the zeros are there for the decimal point, the real numbers are hidden so as not to frighten you of.;)

Auld Bassoon
26th September 2006, 08:12 PM

Chris at the moment I have not had any confirmation in regard to the Leda mini lathe but we will chase this up.

Jim, take a word (any word) and convert it to the link (http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144884;produc t_id=1107423581) by highlighting that work and copy/pasting your lengthy URL using the little planet/chain-link icon...

Jigger
26th September 2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks Jim for the info, I will look forward to playing with it at the show.
I am still intrested to hear about other brands from the workshop floor. PM me if you prefere.:rolleyes:

tashammer
26th September 2006, 10:42 PM
Wow you must of been a naughty boy. I am all 5foot I was a good girl and my dad kept patting my head.:p :D
Just could not resist sorry
Toni

THat's ok Toni

there is nothing wrong with short people...they make terrific steps if the have a flat head or skittles if they don't.

He giggled in a manful way (is that possible?). Wild Dingo would know.