PDA

View Full Version : Simmons 20ft Sea Skiff in Perth

zootog
26th September 2006, 01:20 AM
Well at least a pile of lumber for now :)

Hello all

Just thought I'd introduce myself and my project...........

I'm about to start building a Simmons Sea Skiff and was wondering if there are any other Aussies building or have built or own a Simmons?

Kind regards

Zootog

Wild Dingo
26th October 2006, 02:03 AM
So you did decide on the 20 over the 18 then? Good one! :cool:

post pics and yarns of your adventure building it mate ;)

meerkat
26th October 2006, 08:04 AM
Got any piccies ?

Wild Dingo
26th October 2006, 07:26 PM
Well seems zootog's a bit busy ;)

So couretsy of another forum and a bloke from Melborne named Peter Page here is a shot of his Simmons 18

http://static.flickr.com/30/42164513_9ab46886fe.jpg

oooh and zootog? Jarrah for the frames would be fine :cool: infact most of the boat can be built using Jarrah for the frames floors stem and such been used in boatbuilding here for donkeys years ;)

As to the conversion thing from inches to metric... I think if you do a search on google you will find there are little programs available for free somwhere... I did have one but couldnt make heads of tails of metric even with the thing so gave up deleted and forgot where I got it from :rolleyes:

zootog
27th October 2006, 01:02 AM
Hi Dingo

I haven't been ignoring you - honest:)

Initially I signed up to this "aussie" forum and the other forum.

As I'm going to be full on, I'm really only going to post progress photo's (assuming I make any:p )here. I'm going to focus my postings of a technical nature onto the other one, mainly coz the American guys have built plenty of simmons skiff's, and they seem to bend over backwards to help (as do you - I must add:) )

Saves confusion like you answering my questions from the other forum on this one - nice:confused: must confuse the hell out of the regulars here:D

So for those who want to know where the other forum is click here

http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=55642

Thanks for the advice - jarrah it is then:D

Wild Dingo
27th October 2006, 01:53 AM
Nah I knew that mate ;)

And yeah that sites probably the single best source of woodenboat knowledge on the net... and a lot of them have built or restored the Simmons. the bloke I mentioned over there who answered Oyster or erster whos name is actually Mike was once in the business and all he restored were these boats along with some others but his man work was the Simmons... hes the full bottle on them... hes from Nth Carolina so his timber (and any other) knowledge is restricted to that area... he gets bees in his ass over the slightest thing he THINKS your saying but not but otherwise hes about the most knowledgable for this boat over there... other than Dave Carnell who drew up the plans and posts rarely.

One point I will make with regard that forum is post your questions on forum... dont let them get distracted and they will help as much as possible... keep it on a boat specific on forum level and you will be right... DO NOT GO TO THE BILGE.

As youve found out theres a few eastern staters on the board but as far as Im aware after 5 years as a member you and I are the only remaining West Aussies... be a few lurkers but Ive only ever seen one other West Aussie post and he hasnt posted in several years now posted a couple of short notes then vanished but hes still around and I get the occasional email from him.

Peter Page is a good one to tap if you can a nice bloke with a good bit of experience building the Simmons and Aussie so has knowledge of Aussie stuff related... also the member known here and there as MIK is another excellent resource to tap from time to time he may take a few days to respond but when he does its all business and right on the money... another forumite here biting midge has some issues with my penchant for Wharrams but otherwise pretty knowledgable with regard boats so could be another source of info for you... You also have daddles ala Richard who could be another source of info locally and through this forum... another from over there is a fella from Canberra goes by the name of Wild Wassa (ala Warren) not specifically Simmons but has a wealth of restoration and building experience and can help with alternative methods in some areas (ie: painting decks with sugar in the paint for anti-slip) along with Mike Feild of woodenboat fittings in Victoria (who doesnt post very often but does so occasionally a bloke named Skuthorp or Jeff is another good one to tap... if it was a luggar Id suggest Tony Hunt or TonyH whoe the bees knees with that one and very helpfull otherwise... and then theres a few others Jeff Robinson used to post a fair bit when he was building his boat in his shed but hasnt posted for awhile now... mmmm who else? Peter Sibley maybe able to help in some areas although hes building a larger traditional build... one who goes by the name of Christopha here doorstop there Chris bein his name is pretty cluey as well when it comes to these small ply and timber boats... otherwise its pretty much about it for the Aussies who can actually help you with their own experiences... yeah Ive probably missed a few but heck it is 11.15pm and Ive gotta buggar of to bed :rolleyes: so apologize to those I missed and sympathies to those I didnt :D

Other than that mate they will help as much as they can and the answers come bloody fast when they do! its the time thing you know? ;)

And yes from this you can note that Im dropping away from that forum just so far over it now its not funny... and dont intend spending very much time on the net period from here on in just the occasional foray here help if I can read if I cant add a word of encouragement where possible and thats it.

Life my friend is way too short to spend your hours on the bloody net

Enjoy and remember to document the build with pics of EVERYTHING!! :cool: THEN POST THEM!!! here cause mate theres a mob of Aussies who are interested and would appreciate the documentation without having to go to another forum to check constantly eh? just a thought or two

Cheers!

oooh meant to add... if you need any help (or assistance!) give me a yell and I will see what I can do... remember I work 2 weeks on 1 week of FIFO so if I dont answer for a bit doesnt mean Im ignoring you just that I cant get the net up there so when I get back I'll check and respond if youve contacted... oh and Ive got the tools to help if need be okay no need to struggle if you dont have to eh?... ahem this will of course depend on where you are from me Perth being a reasonably large area and Brunswick being somewhere over 150 klicks south of Perth but we can always work something out if need be... cheers

Daddles
27th October 2006, 08:50 AM
I gave up on the Wooden Boat forum when I realised that the yanks were so obsessed with complexity that they aren't even interested in doing things an easy or practical way. Sorry, that's not the way I was taught to build boats and I don't mind people making life hard for themselves, but most don't want to accept that there's any other way. [/seppo rant]

It's got to be a plus talking to the designer and someone who built the things for years. Oyster's a crusty old sod at times but I've come across him on a number of forums and he's good.

Richard

zootog
27th October 2006, 10:27 AM
Hi Dingo, thanks for all your input.........very interesting, ok you've convinced me - I'll keep this forum updated and only use the other one to ask tech Q?'s

Hi Daddles - thanks for the input mate..........

Apart from anything else, I'd like to think other Aussies might catch the Simmons bug, gonna be a bit lonely launching my wooden baby amongt the usual tuppaware creations at Hillary's harbour:D

I'll start now, story so far..........

Just over a month ago I decided to build a replica of a 20ft Simmons Sea Skiff, the only thing I've ever built from wood before is a kitchen chopping board at school in 1975. As far as assembling anything, airfix models was as hard as it got. I remember thowing HMS Victory in the bin as it was too hard, my modelling talents wer limited to 72th scale plastic spitfires and the like. In a former life I've restored antique furniture, and rebuilt a Dolomite Sprint engine and competed a full restoration on Morris Minor, spent 17 years in a RAF as an engineer, no I haven't missed an "A" I'm a new Aussie, been here 4 years. Don't ask about my loyalties in The Ashes - as the answer may offend:p "go Freddie"

My full time job is a Sales Rep, My rational for building boat is complex.

1. Want a boat - hard to justify buying one, building one is like putting one on lay by with work involved :D with a balloon payment at the end - buying the motor:)

2. Reached that age (47) where the strong desire for the garden shed/workshop is becoming irresistable.

3. I also have a genetic condition commonly known as Viking Disease (condsidered a long boat - before you ask:p ) a bit big for my first boat methinks!! Working with my hands slows down the progress, details here
http://www.baylorhealth.edu/proceedings/14_4/14_4_flatt.html

The plans have just arrived in the post, while I've been waiting for them to arrive, I've bought a few tools (had ZERO) and knocked up a workbench, I'm still trying to understand the plans - not being a boatie, the terms gunwales and chines, together with imperial measurements is making it hard to understand.

I'm also moving house in the next 2 months - so my initial bits will be working on the little bits I can throw in a box.........

I'll keep you informed on progress..........

Zootog

Wild Dingo
27th October 2006, 12:17 PM
I gave up on the Wooden Boat forum when I realised that the yanks were so obsessed with complexity that they aren't even interested in doing things an easy or practical way. Sorry, that's not the way I was taught to build boats and I don't mind people making life hard for themselves, but most don't want to accept that there's any other way. [/seppo rant]

It's got to be a plus talking to the designer and someone who built the things for years. Oyster's a crusty old sod at times but I've come across him on a number of forums and he's good.

Richard

Richard
TN Simmons is dead has been for a fair few years 68 or so if memory serves after his son died he finished the orders he had and closed shop died not long after. (If my memory serves) Dave Carnel is the closest you will come since he spent time with him and works for Cape Fear Museum and took the lines of and drew the plans... he RARELY attends that forum.

Mike is **as described** ... BUT he does know his stuff

Often your right about theire complexity issues, HOWEVER!! take a gander around this forum at times.. I mean some of these fellas are bloody anul to the nth degree! check some of the workbenches that should be in a show not a shed but we still come still enjoy the comeraderie etc. for me Im just over the whole yank thing and am enjoying this Aussie site

Now aboutt hose fingers yer rabid viking... mmmm so thats why me knuckles have taken on that weird look? mmm an she reckoned it way the ape in me tryin to escape! :eek: :D bedda get to buildin a boat eh? :o

Cheers all see you in a few of to catch the big silver bird :cool:

Pagie
15th December 2006, 11:30 AM
G'day fellers, How is work on the boat going Zootog? Just one thing I didn't put any ribs in my 18 as I had a sealed floor and bought the seats up the sides about 3 inch wide. So the support for the sides is 6 pieces of 3/8 (9mm) ply. Rear seat is full of flotation. Centre seat is now gone and I have a center consul, the front seat is a storage locker with a hinged lid. I think I am still going to build a 20fter or Rufus 20. Maybe. Have you anymore photos?

bitingmidge
15th December 2006, 11:50 AM
Come on Pagie and Zootog, pictures boys.... PICTURES!!!

cheers,

P

Pagie
16th December 2006, 10:06 AM
http://static.flickr.com/55/132722431_bc3a6db080_o.jpg

This is the 18 with a Center consul. It is a narrow boat but very seaworthy, I can stand on the side and can't push it under.