PDA

View Full Version : Little Mesquite HF

OGYT
26th September 2006, 05:51 AM
I started this on Old Griz,back in May... after returning from the Georgia Gathering. The crack across the top was CA'd when I first shaped the outside. :(
When I was boring the depth hole in center, I had a "stupidity" catch, and it broke in half along grain lines. :eek: Glued it with Gorilla glue, put it up and forgot all about it. :o
I found it yesterday so I finished the depth hole, and hollowed it out. 3-1/4" X 2-3/4", 1/8" thin. Finished with lacquer and carnauba buff. I'm too tired to set up my photo booth. :D
Critiques, please.

Gil Jones
26th September 2006, 07:29 AM
Hey Allen,
You have created an attractive hollow form from that piece of Mesquite!!
I received three small chunks of Mesquite in the latest WoodCentral turning blank, wood exchange. It is nice to see what it looks like turned 'cause it sure is pretty in raw form.
Gil

BernieP
26th September 2006, 10:37 PM
G'Day Al
Well worth waiting for I'd say a beauty thanks for showing us
Bernie

OGYT
27th September 2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks, Gil. Turn 'em green... finished thickness... they shouldn't move much, if any. I love Mesquite. Just need to go out and cut some more.

Thank you, Bernie. Trying to learn how to get my forms right. Sometimes I do... Sometimes I don't. Appreciate the comments.

Gil Jones
27th September 2006, 10:00 AM
These little chunks of Mesquite are said to be dry, and they do feel fairly hard. Guess I will find out how they turn.

hughie
28th September 2006, 12:16 PM
I started this on Old Griz,back in May... after returning from the Georgia Gathering. The crack across the top was CA'd when I first shaped the outside. :(
When I was boring the depth hole in center, I had a "stupidity" catch, and it broke in half along grain lines. :eek: Glued it with Gorilla glue, put it up and forgot all about it. :o
I found it yesterday so I finished the depth hole, and hollowed it out. 3-1/4" X 2-3/4", 1/8" thin. Finished with lacquer and carnauba buff. I'm too tired to set up my photo booth. :D
Critiques, please.
[/QUOTE]

Al,

Hmmmm mesquite, looks good. How does it turn? By the look of it, its fairly hard as it takes a good finish. A job well done. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2006, 02:36 PM
Tha Mesquite looks very similar to our Boree and Brigalow. Given that I believe it grows in similar conditions, I guess that ain't too surprising. (Gil, if you've turned Boree, etc. before, let us know how the Mesquite compares eh? )

3 1/4" wide? So the hole's only an inch? That doesn't sound like a "stupidity" catch to me... we all gotta blink at some time or another. :D I like the form, it might be a bit plain for a larger bowl but looks mighty good at that scale. I'm envious. ;)

OGYT
30th September 2006, 02:39 PM
Al,

Hmmmm mesquite, looks good. How does it turn? By the look of it, its fairly hard as it takes a good finish. A job well done. :D[/quote]

Thanks, Hughie. Turns like cool butter with a warm knife, when it's green. :D Turns like concrete when dry.:eek: It's sorta brittle when dry. Sharp tools, light cuts.

Skew Quote: 3 1/4" wide? So the hole's only an inch? That doesn't sound like a "stupidity" catch to me... we all gotta blink at some time or another. :D

Thanks, Skew. The stupidity came from tryin' to bore a whole with a 1/2" spade bit, and spinning too fast. :eek: The hole is 7/8" t'be exact.:D It should have been about 1/2", but I haven't learned how to get a curved tool out of a small opening, yet.:(

TTIT
30th September 2006, 11:28 PM
Turns like cool butter with a warm knife, when it's green. :D Turns like concrete when dry.:eek: It's sorta brittle when dry. Sharp tools, light cuts.

Making notes here - just recently discovered what the tree looks like and found one about 4" diameter - if I can't find any bigger it will get the chop very soon!

Very nice little form Al :):):). Must make myself a smaller 'bent' hollower and have a go at something similar.

OGYT
1st October 2006, 10:17 AM
Making notes here - just recently discovered what the tree looks like and found one about 4" diameter - if I can't find any bigger it will get the chop very soon!

Very nice little form Al :):):). Must make myself a smaller 'bent' hollower and have a go at something similar.

Thanks, TTIT. Finding Mesquite in Australia surprises me... but then again... no it doesn't. You blokes have the best trees down under. :D
I made a bent hollower out of a 12" round of 3/8" hot rolled steel... use a 1/8" key stock. It's perfect for small stuff, and you can hollow through a 1/2 inch opening... if you're more careful than me.:D :mad: I just have to sharpen it a lot, 'cause of the chinchy metal of the key stock. :(
I also made one out of 1/2" round, and it works well with the Don Pencil arm-brace handle.

tashammer
1st October 2006, 12:33 PM
I made a bent hollower out of a 12" round of 3/8" hot rolled steel... use a 1/8" key stock. It's perfect for small stuff, and you can hollow through a 1/2 inch opening... if you're more careful than me.:D :mad: I just have to sharpen it a lot, 'cause of the chinchy metal of the key stock. :(
I also made one out of 1/2" round, and it works well with the Don Pencil arm-brace handle.

Pictures please.

hughie
1st October 2006, 06:09 PM
Pictures please

Tashammer,
heres the one I use fairly often, see message 8.

A simple idea just a piece of 3/4 [19mm]round bar with a hole at 45' or so in the end with a piece of HSS steel. You can use a broken HSS tap or buy a piece from Mcjings, dia is 1/4 [6mm].
The whole lot is secured with a grub screw [m6]

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=24591

What I like about it is the small amount of HSS required and you can make any shape you want, changing it takes a few seconds. I even ground a small 6mm gouge for it.... a bit vicious as I cant get the angle right..:eek::o :eek: :D

TTIT
2nd October 2006, 01:45 AM
Thanks, TTIT. Finding Mesquite in Australia surprises me... but then again... no it doesn't. You blokes have the best trees down under. :D

Mesquite was introduced accidentally and is spreading fast through the North of Oz at least Al. The good side of it is, like Camphor laurel, nobody is going to complain about me cutting it down :D:D:D.

tashammer
2nd October 2006, 02:18 AM
Thanks for that Hughie. That is a serious looking instrument.

OGYT
3rd October 2006, 07:08 AM
This is the bent tool I mentioned.:D Needs some more work... or maybe some more changes. The brace gets in the way.:eek:

The red pipe screws onto the handle of the tool, when I need a little more stability. Handle on the tool, and the extension are both filled with b-bs.