PDA

View Full Version : Leveling sandstone path

MikeK
26th September 2006, 12:19 PM
Hi,

Just after some advice on leveling a sandstone path. Basically, part of a pathway to my house is made from uneven sandstone rocks and put together with cement in a cobblestone kind of manner. This means that the surface is not level - which is causing some issues with some of our older relatives. So, I want to flatten it by grinding down the surface. I have a few questions on this and all advice is welcomed:

Facts:
- area is about 10 square meters
- there are 8 steps involved as well a a landing area.
- probably need to take 1 cm off the peaks of the stone (on average).

Questions:
- I am potentially going to do this with a hired grinder. Does anyone know if this would be a special purpose grinder or something like an angle grinder?
- will this approach take forever?
- will I get anywhere near a level surface?
- the usage rates on the grinding disk seem quite high. Will this type of grinding use a lot of the disk?
- is this a stupid idea? (i.e. is doing this so hard that I should just call in some professionals?)

Thanks,
Mike.

Bleedin Thumb
26th September 2006, 12:53 PM
Mike you need a concrete floor grinder (I think thats what they're called)
Rotary grinder with carbirundum sp? blocks under. Most hire shops have them. Won' take long 2-3 hrs.

MikeK
9th December 2006, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I like to update my threads when I've done whatever it is that the thread was about. Anyway, I spoke to the guys at Kennards (Concrete) Hire. I got a grider with a specific disc (can't remember which type) but it worked an absolute treat. Steps are reasonably flat (to the level that SWIMBO approves) and only took about 3 hours. Great stuff.

Regards,
Mike.