PDA

View Full Version : Stupid...stupid...stupid

KRH
26th September 2006, 08:00 PM
Changed over the bandsaw blade a few days ago. This was a well used blade but I was surprised at just how blunt it was. Managed to get through a few pieces of 42x19 pine but blew smoke all the time.

Noticed I said "get through", not cut - the blade was in backwards. Nice learning experience though. I now know just how stupid some people can be - I are one.

Ken

ozwinner
26th September 2006, 08:02 PM
Nice job on getting it to through though.
Ya got to get points for that at least.

Al :D

keith53
26th September 2006, 08:08 PM
Note to self. Blade points point down. Blade points point down.

Don't feel too bad. I bought two new blades at the Brisbane WWW show this year. One was fine but it took a little while to realise that the other one the supplier sold me wasn't a dud blade, simply one turned inside out.

See, if you were changing blades 3 or 4 times a day, you'd know instinctively but when you only do this once in a while, its not hard to see how this can happen. That's the trouble when you've got too much gear.

Hang on, what am I saying? You can never have too much gear. I'm off to wash my mouth out. :D

ss_11000
26th September 2006, 10:21 PM
lol. :cool:
i changed my blade the other day and now its not cutting strait so i got to re tension it and all that. not real good for laminating pen blanks:(

would the blade cut into the wheels if it was on backwards?

Stuart
26th September 2006, 11:01 PM
lol. :cool:
i changed my blade the other day and now its not cutting strait so i got to re tension it and all that. not real good for laminating pen blanks:(

would the blade cut into the wheels if it was on backwards?

Nah - not at all - just needs the wheels spinning in the opposite direction, otherwise it is exactly the same!

Obviously there are a lot who do the same job with the bandsaw day in, day out. I change my blade pretty much every job, because it is rare or me that the same blade will be suitable from one job to the next.

sawdustmike
27th September 2006, 12:56 AM
Did the same early on in my teacher life. Gave the kids the big lecture etc about using machines and then wondered why it smoked so much - the kids still cut crapiata for the whole period before I realised whats up!! And on another subject but related, a few years later I had a prac teacher who gave a demo to a group of 14yo's on how to use the BS safely and neatly cut the end of his finger off. Needless to say, this was the best demo ever on what not to do!

Iain
27th September 2006, 02:17 PM
Note to self. Blade points point down. Blade points point down.

Will check mine out, which side as one side is up and the other down:rolleyes:

Wongo
27th September 2006, 02:30 PM
Ooops of the week.:D

meerkat
27th September 2006, 03:53 PM
Another human is born :)

DavidG
27th September 2006, 06:13 PM
Also drills drill much better when the drill is rotating fwd and not in reverse.:rolleyes:

keith53
27th September 2006, 06:55 PM
Also drills drill much better when the drill is rotating fwd and not in reverse.:rolleyes:

You can do it mate, but it just takes a bit longer. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th September 2006, 06:58 PM
Backward drilling is very definitely not a good idea on acrylics though. DAMHIKT. :o

ss_11000
27th September 2006, 07:36 PM
Nah - not at all - just needs the wheels spinning in the opposite direction, otherwise it is exactly the same!

thanx.:)

Stuart
27th September 2006, 08:18 PM
I've got a bit in my video about inside-out blades, and getting them back to normal.

JackoH
28th September 2006, 09:38 AM
Back when I was learning I fitted a new blade upside down. In my ignorancer I took it back to the point of purchase and complained,....and they replaced it!
(No longer in business, I wonder why! Used to be in Richmond)

Stuart
28th September 2006, 11:20 AM
But the name remains...... ;)

Funny story though - I like it!!!!!