PDA

View Full Version : Organ Pipes

rmm1
27th September 2006, 06:22 PM
Hi, I am interested in any info about wooden organ pipes. They were very early, possibly 15 or 16 century, and I believe they were used before the more modern materials. They were actually square in cross-section rather than round , but otherwise fulfilled the same function as the round ones. Thanks,rmm1.

Wood Butcher
27th September 2006, 06:36 PM
Hi, I am interested in any info about wooden organ pipes. They were very early, possibly 15 or 16 century, and I believe they were used before the more modern materials. They were actually square in cross-section rather than round , but otherwise fulfilled the same function as the round ones. Thanks,rmm1.

rmm1,

Wooden organ pipes are still in common use today but you can't really say "before modern materials". Lead/tin metal pipes were made centuries ago at the same time as wooden pipes. Wooden pipes have their own unique sound, rather more mellow than metal pipes and typically have plugs in the end so that effectively a pipe that is 8' long produces the sound of a pipe 16' long that has a open top.

If you could be a bit more specific as to what you want to know I could help (been around pipe organs for years and even helped build a couple), another option for you is to contact someone from the Organ Society of Queensland. They have monthly meetings and there are a few nutters that will talk to you for days if you want.

Is that any help?:D

Iain
28th September 2006, 08:58 AM
Just did a Google http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=wooden+organ+pipes&meta=
There is a heap of info there, maybe you could include history in the search and see what else is yielded.

rmm1
28th September 2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. Rowan, I had vague ideas of eventually building an organ using wooden pipes, and I suppose I was interested in plans etc., initially to gauge the complexity of the project. Design of pipes and timbers used would give me an idea if it was too ambitious or if it was within my skill level.It sounds as if you are the right person to talk to. Regards, Peter.

Wood Butcher
29th September 2006, 08:54 PM
Plans I can't help you with.

Building even a small scale house organ is a complex task, but by no means impossible. There are books around on the subject. I can't name any off the top of my head but I recommend you try get some.

Here is the link to the Organ Society of QLD's website
http://www.organsociety.com.au/
Seriously advise you get in touch and go to some meetings. There is a huge resource base of knowledge there and the members could direct you toward resources etc.

If you have any problems getting hold of the OSQ, let me know and I'll speak to one of the office bearers and organise something;)