PDA

View Full Version : Another goblet. [shrug]

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th September 2006, 06:41 PM
Knocked up another goblet today and, remembering another thread on problems with parting off goblets, decided to take a few pix to show my method of seperating. Of course, now I can't find the thread to post these pix in... :o Anyways, while turning it I decided to throw in a couple of captive rings to show the easy way to finish the inside of the rings as well. :)

Pic 1: You can see I've finished one ring and taped it out of the way. The thicker part of the stem is the section I've just seperated the loose ring from... I cut a strip of sandpaper (240 grit, I think) about 2cm" wide and long enough to wrap around the stem 1 1/2 times. A bit of tape sticks one end to the goblet stem and I simply wrap the rest around; the flap unwinds and "sticks out" when the lathe is turned on again, but as soon as the ring is fed over it, it wraps itself around the stem again. Very, very simple.

Pic 2: Using the above setup. You need to constantly keep the ring moving to avoid flat spots. Errrm... looking at that photo I think I was actually doing the next step: polishing the inside of the ring. Instead of using s/paper, I wrap a piece of cloth in the same way and put a dob of shellawax on it. Exactly the same way of doing things though. :)

Pic 3: Sparting off... these are the pix I was going to post in the other thread. I lost one pic, which showed the setup when I rounded the blank but before I turned the goblet. :o But this pic shows how much room I leave for seperation... and as you can see, I use a 5mm parting tool, not a "thin blade." ;) The first pic should've shown that trench at the width it is now (2 cuts wide = 1cm) but only a few mm deep, just so I know where the bottom of the foot can start. This pic was taken to show how I start seperating: I cut a few mm deep on one side of the trench, then swap to the other side and cut it a few mm deep, etc., etc. The shallow trenches stop the parting tool from jamming.

Pic 4: And here's the main reason I do a "double-cut" instead of just "one and a bit." You can see I've enough room to angle the parting tool, so I can put a slight hollow on the inside bottom face of the foot. This not only looks better, when finished, but the goblet will stand better on "not quite flat" surfaces than if I'd just parted it off squarely. :)

Pic 5: Finished. Terrible pic, innit? [sigh] Have I said lately that I hate my camera?

keith53
27th September 2006, 06:46 PM
Absolutely fantastic mate. Yer a bloody show off!:D

BernieP
27th September 2006, 07:31 PM
G'Day Skew the 1st

I think I am one of the people who had queried you and thanks for info will print off and file it

Bernie

ss_11000
27th September 2006, 07:57 PM
that looks kinda scary ( the ring flying around ). your idea with the sandpaper is awesome.

cheers

ps you can have the first greenie i have given out in about a month :eek:

chrisb691
27th September 2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks Skew, I'm hoping to be in a position to have a go at goblets soon, so I really appreciated the information given.

I was looking at pic 1, and got a bit confused as to what I was seeing where the blank is fiited into the chuck. Is that part of the blank coming out between the jaws, or a spacer, or....

Is it me being easily confused, or the camera angle? What am I seeing? :confused:

baxter
27th September 2006, 08:44 PM
Skew
Great work. Good goblet is hard enough, but two captive rings. Top notch.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th September 2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks, people. Actually it's a bit slap-dash as I rushed through it so I could get to the "taking photos" part, but it did come out a bit better than I'd expected. :) I do wish I'd spent some time shaping the stem a bit more aesthetically as its' form is all over the place, but... [shrug]

I was looking at pic 1, and got a bit confused as to what I was seeing where the blank is fiited into the chuck. Is that part of the blank coming out between the jaws, or a spacer, or....

You mean the ring right at the front of the jaws? That's the remnant of the tenon's shoulder... I always turn a tenon & shoulder to ensure the blank sits squarely in the chuck. You'll notice I use heavy-duty jaws with a loooong tenon; that's because I don't use a tailstock except for the initial rounding of the blank and without tailstock support I want all the grip at the chuck I can get! :eek:

The "ring" is left behind when I part off, 'cos I don't want to get my parting tool so close to the chuck that I get a metal on metal thing happening. ;)

Is it me being easily confused, or the camera angle? What am I seeing? :confused:

I hope that clears it up?

Hmmm... I suppose I can knock together a "proper" photo tutorial, showing how I turn goblets step-by-step from start to finish. I tend to skip some steps that a beginner should be using (me too, come to that! :o) but it'd intersting to see what others think of my methods. :D

ss_11000
27th September 2006, 09:35 PM
i would appreciate a tutorial skew. this week during sport i'm gonna have a go at a sugar scoop and there pretty much similar.

cheers:)

cedar n silky
27th September 2006, 10:25 PM
Skew, thanks for sharing that.;) I'd love a tute, as I'm starting to get the hang of "egg cups"and would like to move onto something more challenging! And THAT looks challenging!!:eek: Brilliant work!:D

hughie
28th September 2006, 12:29 PM
Skew,

Good tutorial, simple effective easy to follow............no rocket science :D

Goblet came out just fine, you seem to have a predilection for goblets..is that a result of some social habit...;) :D

Gil Jones
28th September 2006, 12:54 PM
Excellent goblet!!
I like the rings.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2006, 03:02 PM
Goblet came out just fine, you seem to have a predilection for goblets..is that a result of some social habit...;) :D

Social habit? [hic] No, but teshting 'em ish fun jusht the shame. :)

Rookie
28th September 2006, 04:39 PM
Hmmm... I suppose I can knock together a "proper" photo tutorial, showing how I turn goblets step-by-step from start to finish. I tend to skip some steps that a beginner should be using (me too, come to that! :o) but it'd intersting to see what others think of my methods. :D

Would love a step by step Skew. I've just started turning and I have no idea which bit's to do first without it busting all over the place

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th October 2006, 09:27 PM
But a good-sized big 'un this time. :rolleyes:

Made for just one purpose, it holds just short of a full tinny, at 320mL. Mebbe I'll get the next one right. :D

Terry B
6th October 2006, 10:25 PM
Skew
Are these goblets actually useable for vino or just decorative?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th October 2006, 11:10 PM
The last one's usable, as that's what it's for. :) ie. I've sealed the inside of the bowl with Rustin's Plastic Finish. It'll still take a week or two to cure properly and a good wash before I use it though. I believe that just a couple of coats of Shellawax, properly cured, would do but I prefer to be on the safe side. [shrug]

The others are usable in theory, albeit a tad small. Well.. the ones' without spalting and "decorative" knot-holes, anyway. I haven't sealed those ones for use, but should I change my mind it's a simple matter.

tashammer
7th October 2006, 12:50 AM
Plus i suspect that one would need to take into account the type of wood used.

For example i refuse to drink anything made from the wood of the nux vomica tree! (they get strychnine from the bark and seeds). Now i am wondering how to identify nux vomica, preferably before use).

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th October 2006, 01:17 AM
I won't turn a goblet from a known noxious wood. Mainly 'cos I can't say what they'll be used for after they leave my shed.

Well... that's not quite true. I've turned a few decorative goblets from some "iffy" woods, eg. Laburnum, but have used a keyhole saw to add cut-outs in the side so they're really only useful for holding tealight candles. I wanted to mod my scrollsaw to make this quicker'n'easier, but it just wasn't feasible. (He says now, after almost destroying the SS in the process of finding out. :rolleyes: )

I generally do the same with spalted woods, but some are just too nice to cut up. :o

rowie
10th October 2006, 10:34 PM
depends on the finish used and also type of wood.