PDA

View Full Version : Domino Height Adjuster confusion

Flowboy
27th September 2006, 07:39 PM
Hi all,

Yesterday, I had occasion to check the height adjuster action and readings on the Domino. I'm now confused. Can anyone help?
Unlock the height adjuster with the foot up (0 degrees) On mine the reading is 0mm. While still leaving the height adjuster unlocked, move the foot to 45 degrees. Mine now reads approx -6mm as zero.
Now move the foot completely down to 90 degrees and mine reads +2mm. If I set the height to zero when the foot is at o degrees, then lock the height adjuster and move the foot to 90 degrees, it will force the height to 2mm!!!.
None of this happens when you use a preset height.
So, what is zero? Since the value must relate to the distance between the cutter center and the height of the foot, what do I use?

Regards,

Rob

Powertoolman
28th September 2006, 04:31 AM
Rob,
First off, be very careful about moving your fence back to 0-degrees when the height is at its lowest, as this can break your plastic sight gauge. (Actually, I think this also answers your first question.)

There are two points where the fence contacts the body of the baseplate. The sight gauge contacts the top of the baseplate at 0 degrees, and the pivot-pin cutout contacts the baseplate body at around 45 degrees through 90 degrees. These two points of cantact will limit how low the fence can be set with respect to the centerline of the mortising bit.

At 0 degrees it doesn't matter because you are not using the fence for your height setting in this position (you just need to be careful not to break the sight gauge). At 90 degrees, this limits your minimum height to about 7 mm above the centerline of the mortising bit.

If you need to go lower than this (to about 5 mm) you could use a small die grinder to enlarge the cutout in the fence face. Just understand that doing so would void your warantee.

P.S. I am confused when you say you can get down to 0-mm height adjustment (or especially -6 mm). This value is to the center of the mortising bit, so going down to zero would cut a hole in your fence. My fence height gauge only goes down to 5 mm minimum.

Honorary Bloke
28th September 2006, 06:00 AM
My "Fence Height Gauge" (as shown in the pdf below) only goes down to 5 mm minimum.

That's all very well, Rick (oops, Powertoolman), but WHERE did you get that Domino in the first place???:confused: Did you import it or did Herr Doktor Professor Festool let you try it out?? I'm surprised the sharp eyes of the DAC didn't pick up on your location.:rolleyes: Where's mine?:mad:

Flowboy
28th September 2006, 06:26 AM
Hi all,

Rick, you still haven't answered my question and have told me I don't understand what I'm doing.
also, the use of MDF around the cutter and "locked' on the pins then held firmly against the plate with strong double sided tape works well. I see no issue with the MDF as it is only cardboard on steroids and as it is pushed against the workpiece, offers less threat than the workpiece itself. Could you show some pics of the tubing on the pistons for us?
Please also note that my TS75 jig works beautifully and that it is also possible to cut 5mm mortices into 10mm depth mitred timber with the domino then cut a traditional tenon to the width I require.
Bob, I had noticed the address for Rick and can only suspect in light of the Fesspeak that he is part of the advance force from Europe.
I'll take some photos and reask my question when the sun comes up.

Regards,

Rob

patr
28th September 2006, 07:38 AM
Rob

I too have made spacers for Domi and used Irish sellotape to keep them on and hold the pins in. I will attempt to machine some different gauge spacers and a simple clip system in due course but frankly for the number of times I need to reduce the depth of cut, the Mk1 version is fine. I think that Ricks idea of plastic tubing is a clever idea but I would not do anything that might score the pistons and possibly affect the precision of the plunge action and allow Herr Festool an excuse to drum me out of the "Ein Plus Zwei" Club.

Back to your original points.

Unlock the height adjuster with the foot up (0 degrees) On mine the reading is 0mm. My scale reads just under the 5mm mark, 0mm is not a graduated marking and is just a reference point.

While still leaving the height adjuster unlocked, move the foot to 45 degrees. Mine now reads approx -6mm as zero. Using a ruler against the printed scale, my pointer is now at 3mm.

Now move the foot completely down to 90 degrees and mine reads +2mm. Mine reads 7mm.

I think you have taken the bottom bar on the scale to read 0mm. It is in fact 5mm.

The height scale is purely for measuring the height from the foot (top face) at 90 degrees to the centre of the cutting bit and the annomolies you have found in the gauge height readings reflect the arc of the foot relative to the cutter face and the engineering design limitations of the hinge.

On reflection this is probably a load of bolleaux so do excuse me but its the best I can do after having 'A Single Malt Too Far' as Cornelius Ryan would have said.:D

Rick, (or is it Herr Rikhardt Von Festool?). As the first owner of a Domino in the Land of the Free, welcome to the DOC. Come clean, did you and your Domino arrive by U Boat? You can tell us, we won't blow your cover.

I am sure that Bob would gladly comb your hair with a housebrick though. He has already had a "Proud to be the No 1 Domino Owner " lapel badge made.:(

Regards
Pat

These brown Dominos are very brown.

Powertoolman
28th September 2006, 08:42 AM
Whoa!!! Rob,
I know it is very early in the morning in your neck of the woods, but I am very confused with your reply. Unless I misread your posting, it sounds like you are angry with me for something, and I don't know what it is. I don't know what I have done or said wrong?!?!

Please, I beg you! If I said something to anger you, please tell me what it is so I don't make the same mistake twice. I take your viewpoint very seriously.
=========================
Even though am an expert on powertools, I consider myself a guest on this forum and I came here to learn about what real users of Festool products encounter on a daily basis. In exchange for gathering this information from the forum, I felt obligated to share some of my knowledge of tools with others. If my knowledge of powertools causes someone to feel uncomfortable, then I will refrain from discussing power tools. The last thing I want is for someone to think that they shouldn't present their ideas. I learn from everything I read.

Flowboy
28th September 2006, 08:50 AM
Hi Pat,

What you say makes logical sense (perhaps in Whiskey veritas, note the Irish spelling,) Its what I have observed and I did not realise that 0=5:confused: . Must be a fiendish German plot.
I've put som pics here to demonstrate my concern. It's particularly appropriate to the situation of cutting into narrow timeber mitres as you really don't have much room to play with. Iguess the best way is just to look at the cutter in regard to the timber depth and set it that way.
Incidentally, did you see the results of the table top I made using the TS75 and the silver and lime rail?

Thanks for the info,

Regards,

Rob

patr
28th September 2006, 09:10 AM
Rob
Could have been my photos you posted! Same measurements/position.:D Glad to be of help.

Your table top is lovely. An excellent example of what Domi can do and a further nail in the coffin of the biscuit joiner. I did a similar, but much smaller, top in brown oak and couldn't get the boards apart after a dry fit. So I have left them as they are and they look beautiful.

I use the guide rails with a TS55 on an MFT table and prefer it to the table saw and RAS. I have bought the dust cover accessory and the difference in dust collection has to be seen to be believed.

Pat

"So Herr Major you have made the wings of your glider out of old guide rails? Hmmm a week in the cooler I think."

Lignum
28th September 2006, 09:31 AM
PTM:D Lighten up, no one is upset with you. Your advice and observations are very welcome:D But where did you get your Domi from:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Your got poor `ol Bob in a terrible state now;)

The tribesmen sense some terrible power in the house, on the mantlepiece they observe a Domino, and begin doing savage dances of worship to it.

Powertoolman
28th September 2006, 09:49 AM
OK, I feel better. I was very much concerned that I said something wrong, and I was concerned that Rob thought I was being critical of his ideas.

The last thing I wanted to do was upset someone on this forum. As I said, I am a guest here, so I am trying to be careful to not overstep my welcome.

patr
28th September 2006, 10:26 AM
Rick

I think you have probably upset Bob. He was really looking forward to his Domino but I do believe he will now cancel and use one of Stormin' Norm's brad guns in a fit of pique.:D

Keep posting! We Northerners must unite and keep the Southern Hemisphere lot in check. They are Trade you know.

Pat

Who has just had a small glass of Penderyn Single Malt WELSH Whisky. And very nice too me Boyo's.:)

The Domino on the Mantlepiece fell and startled the Tribe. Captain Snetterton thought it strange as it was a 10 x 50 and they do not usually fall. Was it an Idol Domino, or was it just plain idle Eric?

Flowboy
28th September 2006, 10:27 AM
Hi Pat,

Forgot to tell you, I've an Irish neighbour now. The other day he walked into the W/S, past the Redgum Ruins which have now been claimed as as traditional sacred site, and said with a straight face, "Would ye have a piece of wood?"

Precious.

Regards,

Rob

I walked into the bar. It was a seedy joint. I said they should have used dominos. They all fell down, one after the other. Beats me!

TassieKiwi
29th September 2006, 05:17 PM
Rob

You might want to make a jig for thin stock. Look here:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=35166

Den

Flowboy
29th September 2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks Den, mucho apprecionado:confused:

Regards

Rob

BTW, Welcome back. Thought you might have heard the Waitakeres calling.

Honorary Bloke
29th September 2006, 11:52 PM
But where did you get your Domi from:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Your got poor `ol Bob in a terrible state now;)

I think you have probably upset Bob. He was really looking forward to his Domino but I do believe he will now cancel and use one of Stormin' Norm's brad guns in a fit of pique.:D

I have been investigating this mystery and discovered that my (my very own, but perhaps soon to be ex-) Festool dealer also has one (wanker)! :mad:

It seems they are bringing them by U-boat, anchoring out 3 miles or so and putting them ashore using a stealthy dinghy or two. Then they load them (the Domi, not the dinghy) in unmarked black vans and distribute them clandestinely to a small number of moles they placed years ago in the States against just this sort of event. Their feindish goal is to disrupt the U.S. WW system from within and take it over without a shot being fired. :eek:

As Patr suggests, I am now repairing to my underground bunker and firing up my trusty Kompressor and fingering my auto-fire finish nailer. :cool:

Rob, you were right. PTM is an insidious person who should be shunned like a leper (unless, of course, he supplies me with a Domi, in which case he is the bee's knees). :D :D

Flowboy
30th September 2006, 08:07 AM
Hi Bob,
These moles, are they from Brazil? No one named G. Peck is there?

I have it on reasonable authority that there are some problems with getting approval for the Jointing Queen due primarily as you allude to, the fear of conquest of the US market. It would be interesting to know if your local Festool weasel has a "U.S.ified" domi or European version. Maybe you could get a CB radio and crack the coded conversations between Das Kaiser und der underlackeygetestergoobens, then send results to us by Morse code. (No one will suspect since Morse code has reached its use by date.)

Regards

Rob