PDA

View Full Version : Safety ear muffs

pacemaker
27th September 2006, 11:44 PM
Would like to know what ear muff you would recommend. I need to get some new ones and was told about those Ozito battery ones but read the thread about them and am now unsure. Need help.

Bluegum
28th September 2006, 07:54 AM
G'day pacemaker and welcome to the forum. I don't know what the ozito earmuffs are like, but I have a set from a company called Peltor. Model H10A, fluro green in colour. Good enough to be warn around jet aircraft as well as a bobcat. I use those orange plastic banded ones with the ear pieces that can be replaced for round the yard and in the shedat home. I find them to be pretty good as well. I will get a set out of the shed and post the brand and model here a bit later today.

kiwigeo
28th September 2006, 02:17 PM
Go for the Peltons....I use them when I fly out to the oil rigs. Noise levels in the back of an S-76 run at about 97 decibels and the Peltons kill the racket beautifully.

Battery powered Ozito earmuffs?? Look at their powertools and then decide. Not worth jeapordising your hearing for the sake of a few dollars.

BobL
28th September 2006, 02:46 PM
Would like to know what ear muff you would recommend. I need to get some new ones and was told about those Ozito battery ones but read the thread about them and am now unsure. Need help.

There is quite a bit already posted about ear muffs.
See the search button above? Click on it and type "ear muffs" - this should give you a wide range of opinions etc

eg Check out this thread.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=32987

soundman
28th September 2006, 03:55 PM
peltor, peltor a thousand times peltor.
comfortable, effective, durable, supported with spares.

I'd recomend two pairs, one light for wearing a lot of the time and a heavy pair for doing realy noisy things.

I have a light pair that I often wear for hours they are comfortable and you can hear whats going on around... talk to people & so forth.
I wear one of my heavier pairs when I do realy noisy things like metal grinding and masonry drilling & they are great... nice & quiet but I wouldn't want to walk arround in them all day without good reason. They are a bit heavy, more head preasure and too much isolation it gets too quiet in there.

cheers

tameriska
28th September 2006, 06:02 PM
Peltor must be alright, I used to be a shooter, and a fair few people up in the national rankings were using them, and a fair few of the older blokes who had finally decided to start looking after their hearing properly.

soundman
28th September 2006, 08:34 PM
At one time not too long ago peltor was sold exclusivly into the shooters market and their product was designed specificaly for that and the product names reflected that,.... bulleye, shotgunner.. and so forth.

to my knoweledge they are one of the few who make muffs specificaly shaped to clear the gun stock

as their product was designed specificaly for firearms use they have excelent transient surperesion and low frequency performance which many others lack.

cheers

Bluegum
28th September 2006, 09:55 PM
Work used to issue us with Bilson Black earmuffs, I still have a couple of pairs hear at home. I got the peltors this year and I find them superior to anything I have owned and used in the past.

pacemaker
28th September 2006, 10:28 PM
Thank you everyone for you welcome and your advise. You have been very helpful

pacemaker
28th September 2006, 11:09 PM
Just thought id let everyone know that i found those Peltor ear muffs on ebay for $49 heres the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Peltor-H10A-Ear-Muffs-Optime-III-Earmuffs-Defenders-89_W0QQitemZ270011050371QQihZ017QQcategoryZ20798QQcmdZViewItem

powderpost
2nd October 2006, 10:30 PM
I will give you a simple equation.
Hearing protection $49, hearing aids $0
Hearing protection $0, hearing aids $2800........... per ear.
Just been down the last track after many, many years in a joinery shop when hearing protection was not even considered.. My advise is go for the best it is cheaper in the long run.
Jim

rowie
3rd October 2006, 02:15 AM
I will give you a simple equation.
Hearing protection $49, hearing aids $0
Hearing protection $0, hearing aids $2800........... per ear.
Just been down the last track after many, many years in a joinery shop when hearing protection was not even considered.. My advise is go for the best it is cheaper in the long run.
Jim
WHAT?:confused:

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Bob38S
3rd October 2006, 12:08 PM
Peltor - the only way to go.
The pair I use are actually banded at the back which also allows you to wear a broad brimmed hat.

:D:):D