PDA

View Full Version : very new

Rod-uk
28th September 2006, 08:54 AM
Hi,I suppose like most newcomers my first post is a question, sorry. I've just bought a lathe, an almost new record CLO 24 x 12 for £51 (pounds sterling). Trouble is, I have NEVER :eek: used a wood lathe at all. I've turned bits of wood on a large metal turning lathe but that's nothing like wood turning on the proper lathe. How do I start, how do I fasten the wood in or on, how do I use the tools. What speed do I set it at? Or, where can I find out. I think any help will be useful so many thanks in advance. Oh, and by the way, what's the weather like in Oz now, it's just turning cool over here and the nights are drawing in, darkish at 6.30 ish (typical brit, talking about the weather ) :)
Rod.

ozwinner
28th September 2006, 08:56 AM
Hi Rod.
Start (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=woodturning&btnG=Google+Search&meta=) here and do some reading.

Al :)

Speanwoody
28th September 2006, 07:44 PM
Have look at this link, its on line videos, it may help you or give you food for thought
http://www.turnwood.net/videos.html

baxter
28th September 2006, 07:58 PM
Wlcome Rod
You don't mention where in the UK you are. But I am sure if you accessed - bought or go to library - a copy of one of the Woodturning Magazines printed in the UK (Woodturning etc.) you would find some information about a local Woodturning Club or Tutor.

As for the weather, we change daylight savings at the same time as you. But ours gets warmer and yours gets colder as you are already cold.

scooter
28th September 2006, 08:05 PM
Gday Rod, here's (http://www.aroundthewoods.com/index.shtml) a link to a very comprehensive site.

Cheers.................Sean

La truciolara
29th September 2006, 03:20 AM
Welcome Rod
As you are in the Uk and that in your lovely country there are lots of good turners I would be surprise there is not one close to where you live.
Go and pop in to one of them he'll be delighted to show you the first steps which are very important even for your safety..;)

OGYT
30th September 2006, 02:50 PM
Lots of good advice in the previous posts. There are too many ways to screw up and get hurt in woodturning, to not get some help first. DAMHIKT.
BTW, welcome to becoming an addict. No better addiction than turnin'.
This is an awesome forum with awesome information, too!

Rod-uk
4th October 2006, 07:13 AM
Hi, thanks everyone for the info. I've checked out the links and found some really good sites. I have fired it up and done a little spindle turning on some soft pallet wood I had kicking about. I only have ordinary wood chisels at the moment but it's enough to get interested. I found it very absorbing and the time just flew by, 2 hours gone in a flash and I had some wonderfull saw dust and shavings at the end of it, the turning wasn't so good but the pile of debris was huge.:)
Rod.

Rod-uk
4th October 2006, 07:35 AM
Baxter, sorry to miss out your question. I'm in the Black Country, an area in the middle of England and so called because it's where the industrial revolution started. Apparently the area was so grimy and sooty due to coal mining, smelting and forging etc that it became know as the Black Country. The name stuck and now residents of this small area ( probably not more than 8 or 10 miles across) are immensly proud of our heritage. Look it up on the web or try, The Black Country Living Museum.
Rod.

Terry B
4th October 2006, 11:39 AM
Baxter, sorry to miss out your question. I'm in the Black Country, an area in the middle of England and so called because it's where the industrial revolution started. Apparently the area was so grimy and sooty due to coal mining, smelting and forging etc that it became know as the Black Country. The name stuck and now residents of this small area ( probably not more than 8 or 10 miles across) are immensly proud of our heritage. Look it up on the web or try, The Black Country Living Museum.
Rod.
I remember visiting Ironbridge when I was living in the UK. Lovely and clean now and a great heritage.

Ashore
4th October 2006, 12:17 PM
Hi Rod and welcome
In 2001 We went Barging for a few weeks through the black country Birmingham etc , looked great from the canal and very frendly people

Rgds
Russell