PDA

View Full Version : Gidgee bowl

hughie
28th September 2006, 12:59 PM
Here we go a small Gidgee bowl about 5 dia by 3 high. Power sanded, EEE polished, then rubbed down with meths/DNA, one coat of Organoil and left to dry. It still needs a final buff to finish it off.

The Gidgee is courtesy of TTIT..thanks Vern, I find it great to turn and takes a polish like you would not believe.

I would appreciate your valuable input.

Auzzie turner
28th September 2006, 01:30 PM
Excellent profile and finish, nice timber is'nt it? Are those sanding marks I see inside?:D What did you use to sand/finish the inside? I like the shape you have on it,

Regards.......Joash

RufflyRustic
28th September 2006, 02:10 PM
Fine workmanship on the Gidgee, Hughie!

You should see some of TTIT's other work and timber!!! :eek: :D :D :D

cheers
Wendy

hughie
28th September 2006, 02:18 PM
Are those sanding marks I see inside?:D What did you use to sand/finish the inside? I like the shape you have on it,

I knew I would not get away with it..........:D .your right they are sanding marks inside. I will deal with them when I buff it..
Sanding inside, I use a foam backed 20mm dia disk in a pistol drill and my finger stuck in around the corner...ouch.:eek: :D

TEEJAY
28th September 2006, 02:26 PM
Great stuff Hughie.

I'll have to get one of those turning things one day :)

tashammer
28th September 2006, 02:59 PM
beautiful line,colour, selection. the eye just glides around it without impediment.

On the middle picture - have you finished the base yet?.

that's a keeper.

Tom

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2006, 03:11 PM
Love the overall form, not too sure about the base. Lovely piece just the same, nice workmanship. :)

ss_11000
28th September 2006, 04:25 PM
it does look very nice. like others said, nice form.

cedar n silky
28th September 2006, 06:10 PM
Lovely form, Hughie. It actually radiates "warmth" !!:) A bit "warm and fuzzy", I know, but that was my immediate impression!:D

WoodNerd
28th September 2006, 10:27 PM
your piece of gigee is quite red

this is out of gigee (pic) and it is very dark brown even black. Seems to have a big colour spectum (but now that i think about it a fair few do as well)

beautiful timber though, must have been well monitiored in the drying process,
it cracks a s:eek:load.

nice pice, great form, top job. :cool:

WoodNerd
28th September 2006, 10:33 PM
forgot the picture its on this thread http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=37520

BernieP
28th September 2006, 11:26 PM
G'Day Hughie
Thats what I like about this forum gives us learners something to strive towards..Great pics
Bernie

La truciolara
29th September 2006, 03:28 AM
I knew I would not get away with it..........:D .your right they are sanding marks inside. I will deal with them when I buff it..
Sanding inside, I use a foam backed 20mm dia disk in a pistol drill and my finger stuck in around the corner...ouch.:eek: :D

Hughie
Fortunately there are these youngsters who are pushing us toward perfection... :D
Your vase was so close to it ....

Gil Jones
29th September 2006, 04:47 AM
Hughie, this Gidgee bowl qualifies for a big WOW!! It sure is a fine looking piece, nice curves, very smooth finish, and beautiful wood.

hughie
29th September 2006, 11:37 AM
Fortunately there are these youngsters who are pushing us toward perfection... :D

Claude, I figured they would find all or any faults.....:D we are all to aware of the mistakes we make...:D............ not to worry.

Skew, Tashammer, your right the base is very ordinary, so much so I am considering rechucking and removing it altogether. I like to get another opinion or two........... get to close the forest sometimes to see the trees.:( :D :D

I appreciate all comments, thanks

OGYT
29th September 2006, 02:05 PM
Skew, Tashammer, your right the base is very ordinary, so much so I am considering rechucking and removing it altogether. I like to get another opinion or two........... get to close the forest sometimes to see the trees.:( :D :D

Hughie, Love that wood... love the turning... love the spectacular finish, love the rim treatment. (lot a love in this post, huh).
I hesitate to even try to critique your turning. This is such nice work, as is everything I've seen you post. I think every thing about this piece is spot on!:D
Except the base:eek: :D
I think it stops the eye as it moves around the form. I think it would look even handier without it.
Novice's opinion.:o

Bleedin Thumb
29th September 2006, 03:57 PM
Sorry guys I can't agree I think the base provides a good balance to the rim. I don't think that it would destroy the form to remove the base but I don't think it is necessary.
Great work Hughie!:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th September 2006, 04:08 PM
IMHO the base is the only element that's not "spot on."

However, being small & discrete, it's only obvious in the side view... removing it would make the bowl look better (IMHO) when viewed side on, but how often do we actually look at something that way? Without actually being able to pick up and handle the piece I can't really give a yea or nay on it as to removing it.

I also think that the existing base gives it firmer footing than removing it would as it would narrow the footprint if existing lines are followed... so there are practical implications as well.

As I said, I'm still not sure about the base but that's a far cry from my saying the base is "wrong." I like the bowl very much just as it is. :)

Nuggett
29th September 2006, 04:33 PM
"Power sanded, EEE polished, then rubbed down with meths/DNA, one coat of Organoil and left to dry. It still needs a final buff to finish it off."

Could you enlarge on the meth? and the reason it's done?

tashammer
29th September 2006, 06:06 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31380&stc=1&d=1159513559
bowl.jpg

Bleedin Thumb
29th September 2006, 06:18 PM
Tashammer, what did you use to take off that base, looks like a beaver had a go at it!

Toymaker Len
29th September 2006, 10:51 PM
Top piece.

hughie
30th September 2006, 12:48 AM
Could you enlarge on the meth? and the reason it's done?

Meths/DNA I did so cos I thought I might want to apply some satin
rub-on-poly and it does not go to well on the left overs of EEE also the organoil does not penetrate that well either for that matter.

Base; I have turned a few of them similar to this one. The shape seems to draw people to pick it up. With no base it rolls around on the hands and has a great feel to it.

when viewed side on, but how often do we actually look at something that way
I agree Skew, seldom do we look at from the side view, so the base wont be missed.

I like the idea of bowls being handled, picked up, turned over etc. These small type seem to have an attraction to the admirer to do so.

I have left the bottom of the bowl fairly thick around 20mm [3/4"] and the sides around 8-12mm [ 5/16-1/2"] this gives it a measure of stability and a low centre of gravity. The new foot [no foot:D ] will probably be around 30-35mm [ 1-1/8-1-3/8" ] and slightly concave. The rim of which will provide a good stable base.

tashammer
30th September 2006, 04:43 AM
Tashammer, what did you use to take off that base, looks like a beaver had a go at it!

My hands shake which is great for making a milkshake but a bugger for using a mouse. A graphics pad may be the go but they are too damned expensive.

TTIT
30th September 2006, 11:10 PM
Love what you did with the rim Hughie - foot or not, it looks great :):):). Really nice piece :D. What happened to the color???:eek: It usually comes up almost as dark as ebony??? or is it just the pics????

Only been away for a week and can't believe how many threads I gotta catch up on.!:eek:

hughie
1st October 2006, 12:11 AM
What happened to the color???:eek: It usually comes up almost as dark as ebony??? or is it just the pics????

Dunno :confused: thats the way it turned out, colour is a fair representation of the timber.One coat of Organoil and thats it

rsser
1st October 2006, 09:08 AM
Guess I'm a foot fetishist so I like the foot on this one. To my eye it lifts the whole form, which it needs since it tends to the bulbous. It's a form that's hard to get the transitions of line right and you've come pretty close to perfection Hughie.

Again, it's a matter of preference and I'd go for somewhat more of an acorn shape.

tashammer
1st October 2006, 12:43 PM
foot or not, Hughie you have made a lovely, lovely piece there. (i am not a foot fetishist).

Sometimes i get this notion that form is dictated to by function (like millions of others). So i ask myself what function does a foot serve on a piece?

In looking at Hughie's piece i feel that the cylinderical form of the foot takes away from the spheroidal shape of the piece as a whole and, if it had to have a foot, then wouldn't a mirror of the upper portion enhance the work, so to follow the flow where the bottom of the bowl heads in to the centre then curves out to form almost a horizontal sine wave in profile.

rsser
1st October 2006, 05:39 PM
As discussed, the angle you see the piece from is of course critical and Hughie's been honest in giving us several views.

Looked down at say 45 degrees of course often you won't see the foot itself but the piece will seem to 'float' more and look lighter, and that's a plus for me.

hughie
1st October 2006, 06:17 PM
Guess I'm a foot fetishist so I like the foot on this one. To my eye it lifts the whole form, which it needs since it tends to the bulbous. It's a form that's hard to get the transitions of line right and you've come pretty close to perfection Hughie.

Ern You've got a good eye, I agree the shape is not quite right and its all to do with the darn transition. Good call! in the final shaping it can be hard to get it right and then keep it right...........:D

I never finished the foot as I could not make up my mind one way or the other. Thought I would throw it open to the collective wisdom of the group.
Thanks all for your input