PDA

View Full Version : Really small carving chisels.

Dennis Hill
11th March 2003, 06:43 AM
Hello folks,
I need some advice on carvind chisels. I want to do some decoration on some dollshouse furniture and I need some really small chisels. There is an American brand called "Dockyard" that have sets starting at 1.5mm wide and a German mob called "Two cherries" make chisels down to 1/2 mm wide at a price that makes a BMW sound quite cheap.
Are there any other options available to me? Considering the sizes involved I do not think that I can make mt own chisels from tool steel, I do not have the right size grinders etc.
Thanks.:confused:

p3aul
13th March 2003, 06:56 AM
Hi Dennis,
I'm from the US and the although I haven't a set. a friend of mine carves some beautiful spiritfaces(green men) with them . Dockyard tools list in the catalogs for around $40 US.
Paul

Dennis Hill
13th March 2003, 07:17 AM
Thanks Paul,
I like to see what I am buying, or at least talk to someonr that has knowledge of the item. I wasn't certain about the quality because Dockyard tools seem to be way cheaper than the European competition.
I will have to do more research on this.
Thanks.:confused:

Neil
13th March 2003, 09:28 AM
G-day Dennis - Try Mik International, their Pfeil (Arrow) Tools #11 starts at 1/2mm in the standard size tools http://www.mik.com.au also check out the second hand tool shops and markets etc there are often small tools available if you know what you are looking for.

You should be aware that a small tool is not necessarily the answer and that they are buggers of things to sharpen. I have a couple of veiners (small deep U shape profile) 1/2mm and 1mm, sharpening is a real pain and in my almost 40 years of carving have used them only a couple of times. You will most likely find that standard size tools and a couple of good knives will do all you need for the miniatures but will also be more useful for regular size work as well where the small ones will be useless.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Neil:)

Dennis Hill
13th March 2003, 03:01 PM
Thank you Neil.
Now I am really confused, but the confusion is becoming clearer. I shal think on this for a while and then see David Hayes at Wauchope Wood and Turning. He carries some carving tools in stock so i can see what things look like. :confused: :confused: :confused:

nadcarves
24th April 2003, 01:36 PM
Dennis,neil gave you a very good answer.Peter Benson mentioned making small gouges out of umbrella ribs,sorta like Adam and Eve? In any event,I have two small items you can have, a small vee tool long bent and what was an old English # 1,needs a bit of reshaping.Drop an e-mail and I'll send them out.They are both(width) about the thickness of a credit card.

hedgehog
10th May 2003, 09:54 PM
Dennis, I have for a few years now been using a set of small gouges from and American company called Ramelson. They do two sets of six tools the standard size which I have and the really small ones which I intend to get as sson as I can. Point is, they are brilliant, better edge holding than the flexcut and really well made. The set I bought currently retails in the UK at about £26 the small set is the same price.

Dennis Hill
11th May 2003, 08:43 AM
Thanks Hedgehog, I have not come across the brand name but I shal take a look around via Yahoo etc,

nadcarves
11th May 2003, 11:14 AM
Ramelson tools>26 pounds in the U.K.?I just got a new catalogue in today from a Florida company,and the prices and quality are very much out of line.Lamp brand has some small Chinese style "mico" tools at about six bucks each.There are sets of wire shaft "micro" tools,4 sets,buy at 144.95 for 20 micro tools.If you are fanatic about sharpening,for the few cuts you are going to use them to do,AMT has sets for about 6 bucks US.The problem with wire shaft tools is that ,in time, they will loosen ,and turn in the handle,ie worthless.I bought a set of fish tail carving chisels from them a number of years ago.2 inch wide,three in set,for twenty five dollars,.They were cast stainless steel,handle too small,too soft.Proceeded to beat the hell out of a basswood log and turn it into a large Santa figure.I couldn't carve for six months after that,all the shock that wasen't transmitted into the wood went back into upper arm and shoulder.Have one left, gave the other two to a guy I didn't like.When I find that one again,it's gone!Let's see,we went from micro to two inch,next thing you know,I'll have you getting out your angle grinder and putting a 6 tooth Vortex cutter in it.Do a Great White,full size and be done by supper time,,,,cordially nad