PDA

View Full Version : What should one look for when buying one's first Lathe?

Helix
11th March 2003, 08:53 AM
Hi all,

I have never turned a piece of wood in my life, and only ever seen the GMC lathe's at bunnings. Please excuse my ignorance, as I have no wood turning knowledge at all.

What should I be looking for in my first lathe, given that I will probably want to get something that is inexpensive, good quality, safe, and suitable for most wood turning projects. I would rather spend $500 now than $250 now and $500 in a year's time (or am I kidding myself?).

I will probably want to turn chair legs, pens, bowls, etc. What other things should be on the shopping list?

Thanks,

Josh

arose62
11th March 2003, 12:06 PM
I've just started woodturning. I thought it could be interesting and fun, but wasn't sure that it would be something that I'd keep doing, so I wanted to minimise my initial costs.

I bought a cheapo lathe from SuperCheap Auto ($135 with AMEX discount) and the $26 set of cheapy turning tools.

Things I've learned:

1) I *really* enjoy woodturning !

2) I can make useful things with what I have bought. I've even started tracking what I've saved and sold against what I spent, and once I break even, it doesn't matter if (when) the cheap lathe dies.

3) The operations that you do regularly. If (when) I buy a next lathe, I'll be able to try out the various locking mechanisms, and compare them to what I've got now.

4) A $135 lathe isn't the best piece of machinery in the world. I've already had the motor die on the first one. There was a no-hassle swap for another new one, but I did go back and retrieve the tailstock from my first lathe, as there was weld spatter on the locking thread, and the tailstock shaft was bent. Again - a trip to the shop, no hassles, and turning again 30 mins later.

5) The motor gets *really* hot. I stick to the 30 mins duty cycle, and have a fan blowing on it when in use.

6) I *really* enjoy woodturning.

7) The other 300 men on the Central Coast who go to woodturning meetings are all OLD!

8) I figure that if the 'weak point' of my set up is the lathe & tools, then *I'm* going to have to get good technique to compensate.

Cheers,
Andrew

Wayne Davy
11th March 2003, 02:39 PM
Hi,

I have a Carba-Tec MC-900 Lathe which I picked up at the Wood Show in Brisbane last year for under $400. (Info at http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-717public__0-0.html?cache=no)

It has all the features that Doorstop has talked about including swivel head and I feel it is a great lathe for the money. I have noticed that Hare & Forbes and Timbecon both have a very similar (probably identical) lathes in their catalog's so you can probably play one against the other.

Good luck

Dave Peebles
12th March 2003, 04:11 PM
Hello doorstop,

I really like your tag line at the end of your post.

Here is another that I like....

God only gives you so many hormones, if some guys want to use them to grow hair, that's fine with me. :)

Dave

JackoH
12th March 2003, 05:40 PM
Is this the joke forum?
If so : How do you make a hormone?
<
>
<
<
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
<
>
>
Don't pay her!

DarrylF
18th March 2003, 06:35 AM
Josh:
I started in November and I'm loving it. Things I learnt:

1. I bought the Total Tools version of the $400 odd lathe that's about. Decent machine, though I wish I'd spent extra. The Carbatec version seems to have the best motor for the money - the one I have gets way too hot, and makes some worrying noises at times. It'll replace it sometime this year.

2. I spent far more money on tools, accessories & chucks than on the lathe - probably $2,000 plus by now - and don't regret any of it. Good turning chisels are worth their weight in gold, and decent chucks make it possible to do things that just aren't possible any other way.

3. If you're any good you'll have far more things to make for friends, relatives, neighbors & colleagues than you can keep up with, and lots of excuses to spend more money on tools & wood :) Especially if Her Indoors likes your work. I must have made 70 or 80 bowls by now, the vast majority my wife's given away.

4. Build the stand yourself and make it as heavy as possible. Build in dust collection & clean up strategies - a lathe makes a hell of a lot of mess. Compressed air is the only way to clean yourself up at the end of the day.

5. Work out what the hell to do with all the shavings then tell me - I'm quickly building a small mountain of it in the backyard trying to compost the stuff :)

It's a great hobby. Whether you spend the bucks up front or start cheap and build up is fine either way - cheap chisels can be re-ground for other uses and a cheap lathe is not a lot of money to learn with.

Andrew:
I'm also on the Central Coast - there are a few of us here that are under 70 :) I work in Sydney so I don't get a chance to go to woodturning clubs etc. though.

Helix
18th March 2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks Darryl, that is good advice. Everyone has been very helpful!

RETIRED
18th March 2003, 06:31 PM
Daryl,

Re shavings: make it known around the area that you have wood shavings to get rid of and you won't keep up.

Round my area they use them for chooks, horses and mulch on the garden.

If composting add a liberal amount of blood and bone, shavings suck the nitrogen from the soil.

Shane Watson
19th March 2003, 12:37 PM
What should I be looking for in my first lathe

SYMTEC!! :eek:

Now lets see what reactions I get.... MWAHAHAHA!

Stuart
19th March 2003, 12:53 PM
Yeah Andrew- careful with that "Old" tag- it is a bit misleading. I think "Ancient" is closer to what you are looking for.

Eastie
19th March 2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by DarrylF
Compressed air is the only way to clean yourself up at the end of the day.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Never, ever use compressed air to clean yourself up!

http://www.ubeaut.biz/suicide.gif

Neil
19th March 2003, 06:06 PM
'twill clean you up all right...... possibly for good.

One of the first things apprentices are told is that compressed air is not a toy.

An air bubble in your blood stream is not a nice way to go and unlike using Shellawax it definitely is not a nice finish.http://www.ubeaut.biz/dizzy.gif

Helix
20th March 2003, 06:27 PM
This may sound idiotic, but what exactly could happen with using compressed air to blow off the wood chips? Are we concerned about the eyes?

Cheers,

Josh

Dean
20th March 2003, 10:24 PM
Interesting comments about keeping the compressor away from yourself. Do you folks have further information as to why and how and it is a problem?

Something that I havent come across yet.
Is the issue with breathing in compressed air which could be polluted with oil etc?

DarrylF
20th March 2003, 10:34 PM
I can imagine causing yourself some serious damage if you were to hit your eyes or ears with compressed air - but I can't see a problem with blowing the dust off your clothing, assuming of course you keep your eyes closed etc.

Given the number of machines that could cause me serious damage in my workshop, I can't say I'm too worried about compressed air :)

Eastie
21st March 2003, 09:34 AM
That bit about closing your eyes really cracks me up :D

Compressed air when used correctly is not a hazard to your health. However, when used improperly and unsafely, it can be dangerous and there are recorded incidents where it has caused death.

There are two major causes of compressed air injuries. The first is the force of the air itself. The second is associated with that of flying debris and materials which can cause serious injury especially to the eyes.

Compressed air is not "just air." It's a focused stream of air driven at a high velocity, which can cause serious injury or death - pressures as low as 10 to 15 PSI are capable of causing serious injury.

It is possible for the air to enter a scratch or puncture in the skin, even through a layer of clothing, causing the limb or affected area to swell (you will experience severe pain at this point). If air is forced into the blood stream (known as an air embolism), it can move through the blood vessels and potentially lodge in the brain, resulting in death (very, very painful).

Although somewhat less nasty than death, a misdirected blast of compressed air can dislodge an eyeball from its socket (a condition that is not a very nice experience I’ve been told – not nice to look at either:eek: ) or rupture an eardrum (can lead to brain haemorrhage, not always fatal but will no doubt slow you down - you may still be able to use a symtec though).

If misdirected at the mouth compressed air can rupture the lungs and cause damage to the stomach and intestinal tract. If any of you are aiming this stuff at your anus that is your business.
Needless to say none of the bodies systems are designed to deal with these sorts of pressures.

When being used to clean off equipment the main risks are associated with bits and pieces flying at a great rate of knots posing a risk of eye injury and of course the dust hazard – thus employ a tool designed for this whenever possible – the vacuum.

When using compressed air you should always use caution and wear eye protection :cool:

http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbup.gif

Dean
21st March 2003, 10:27 AM
Good info thanks...

But nothing beats cleaning the dust off tools like compressed air. Vacuums just cant get into all the little spots.
Eye protection is a must. You don't want to get any little chips or bits of dust in your eye. Believe me it is rather painful when you can't get it out!

Eastie
21st March 2003, 11:03 AM
Agree - compressed air is good at blowing the dust out of tools, but take care, wear eye protection and do it outdoors.

Little Festo
24th March 2003, 10:26 AM
I almost got caught out using my brad nailer a few months ago. I was wearing safty glasses but still got a stinging blast on the cheek from the exhaust vent on the top of the gun. I didn't realise how powerfull that balst of air is. I'll certainly be more carefull in the future.

Probly best to use good safty practices, especiall when fatigue sets in.

Peter