PDA

View Full Version : Gougeon Brothers

onthebeachalone
29th September 2006, 03:47 PM
Anyone have an opinion on the value of Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction as a source of advice/guidance?

jmk89
29th September 2006, 04:26 PM
I reckon it's good - I read it and enjoyed dong so. You just have to take account, while reading it, that they are talking up their own book becaue they only mention their own products (West). But it explains how to use 'poxy to build wooden boats of all kinds really well and why they recommend doing it a certain way.

The antidote is to get the short Botecote book ($8.00 from Duck Flat). It has the same flaws but from the other perspective. Read both and you have the long and the short of it and enough to thoroughly confuse you.... then ask Mik and all will be resolved.:D :D

Seriously - Gougeon Bros is a good book. So is the Botecote book. Those 2 and a standard small boat boatbuilding book will tell you enough to get you to the stage where you can make up your own mind. And if you can't decide at any stage - debate it with those who know on this forum and then make a decision and follow through. Even if you muck it up, you (and the rest of us) will have learned something!!

Cheers

Jeremy

bitingmidge
29th September 2006, 06:40 PM
Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction should be on every bookshelf. It is pretty much THE textbook, if you want to know how to do something using modern construction methods, it's pretty much there.

Don't worry about the "West" thing, they are the ones that have done the research and provide the benefit of it. Just think "epoxy".

The BoteCote book is indeed a great simple overview, but it won't tell you how to setout the correct camber for a deck, or the process in triple laminating a moulded hull.

I do believe the Gougeon Brothers new edition is out now too.

Cheers,

P

Boatmik
30th September 2006, 11:31 AM
Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction should be on every bookshelf. It is pretty much THE textbook, if you want to know how to do something using modern construction methods, it's pretty much there.
Cheers,

P

Yep - ditto - you won't regret it if you are into modern wooden boatbuilding.

MIK

scottyk
3rd October 2006, 06:37 PM
GBOBC is the Bible, it helped me no end.
Scotty

mcchaddy
3rd October 2006, 09:03 PM
The new version is out. I have just recieved it, I already had the previous version. Excellent and recommended to me by several leading small boat builders, both in Oz and the US. I think I read my old copy at least 3 or 4 times and still refer to it. Also I have just been given a couple of books by Howard I Chappelle. They are excellent reading also.:) :)