(heard you could do this)

BernieP
29th September 2006, 11:08 PM
G'Day weisyboy
Have a look here http://www.oldwoodies.com/shoptalk_bleach.htm
Bernie

tashammer
30th September 2006, 04:38 AM
wasn't 880 ammonia used to fume timber and, in the process lighten it? Specifically english oak, from memory. The item was placed in a cupboard or similar airtight box along with a saucer of 880 ammonia and left overnight. The item was checked the following morning. Then the fumes were neutralised using hydrogen peroxide. (try not to get it on your hair or folks might end up thinking you are a surfie).

DANGER HAZARDOUS MATERIAL
Never breathe the 880 ammonia fumes, they will strip the skin out of your nostrils, literally.

Always have protective breathing gear, wear gloves and work in a well ventilated place.

Make google your friend - at the least you may find basic information that will allow you to ask questions in ways that will help you get the best help.

ozwinner
30th September 2006, 08:23 AM
Fuming of Oak gave the Oak that horrid dark finnish that most antique furniture is made of.

Al http://www.ubeaut.biz/halitosis.gif

tashammer
30th September 2006, 02:33 PM
did it? Hmm, then it must be peroxide that bleaches/lightens then and i do not know what neutralises that. Anyone?

Left field thought (i have lots of them);

If oxalic acid can be used and silver beet has lots of oxalic acid...take it from there.

Salty
30th September 2006, 05:18 PM
Glenn Roberts has written a good series in Australian woodworker over the past few issues. He has covered bleaching and burning in those articles as well as some more aggressive texturing techniques. It may be worth perusing those articles. Most public libraries will hold copies if you are not able to find the back copies.:D

Auld Bassoon
30th September 2006, 05:56 PM
I believe that a lot of the old techniques for darkeing or lightening timber used some fairly (sometimes very) nasty substances, so anyone wanting to attempt to use them should bone up on safety issues first.

GlennD
30th September 2006, 10:31 PM
I believe Oxalic acid can be used to bleach or blonde timber.
Available from paint or hardware shops.

Glenn