PDA

View Full Version : Instrument makers at Maldon festival

Jackspira
29th September 2006, 11:41 PM
Hi all! I thought I'd mention for any who may not may not know, there is a pretty decent exhibition of instrument makers at the Maldon folk festival. Maldon is in central Victoria, near Castlemaine. The festival is on cup weekend, 3rd-6th November 2006. The exhibition runs on the Saturday and Sunday 9am- 5pm.
I think the exhibition is under new management this year, but as far as I'm aware its going ahead as usual. Its free to go in I think ( I don't think a festival ticket is needed) and held in Maldon community centre.
There are usually somewhere around 10 to 20 really cool makers there, guitar, harp, flute, lyre, violin, banjo, mandolin, hurdy gurdy, cello, accordians, never quite know who will turn up! Definitly worth the trip if you can.
jack

gratay
6th October 2006, 07:54 PM
i hear its a good one for those interested in handmade instruments.....I'm going to try and get there for sure...

i played at the canberra folk festival a few years ago and spent most of my free time in the instrument makers tent.....was very inspiring
I particularly liked David Churchills guitars and a nice guy as well..

Jackspira
18th October 2006, 09:28 AM
Mm yes the Canberra festival is great for instrument makers, as is Port Fairy.
Im pretty sure Dave Churchill will be at Maldon, he usually is!
Jack

jock2000
18th October 2006, 10:15 PM
What is the best day from instrument makers? I'm coming across from Bendigo.

Jackspira
18th October 2006, 10:24 PM
probably saturday afternoon, give everyone a chance to turn up. Or maybe sunday morning, not too early!

Jackspira
6th November 2006, 05:24 PM
Hi everyone, I'm just back from the Maldon festival and got a few pictures in case you're interested.
We had a great time! Many like me coming home with fresh inspiration! The next get together I'm aware of will be Port Fairy next march, then the National festival at Canberra next Easter.
Jack

Jackspira
6th November 2006, 05:26 PM
some more...

Jackspira
6th November 2006, 05:28 PM
few more..

Jackspira
6th November 2006, 05:30 PM
last two..cheers!

gratay
6th November 2006, 08:00 PM
Cheers Jack, Thanks for the photos . Its some consolation for me . I was looking forward to going then my 2 year old came down with the most vicious gastro virus .....I'm just glad we weren't in the car...would have been no fun for anyone...poor little guy , never been sick before. He didn't know what was happening to him.
exhibition looks great though ....some wonderful looking instruments.....I know what you mean by being inspired though.....It was the canberra folk festival makers tent that inspired me to get out of the mass production rat-race....nothing more inspiring than being around people doing what they love.
my inspiration will have to be to have some ready for next time...
thanks again

Jackspira
7th November 2006, 11:10 AM
my inspiration will have to be to have some ready for next time...
thanks again
That would be great Grant! If you don't have any other contacts, let me know a few months before and I'll get you on the mailing list for the applications for the exhibition
Jack

Malibu
7th November 2006, 05:08 PM
There's some nice stuff there. It gives me something to aim for in quality and workmanship.
I had plans on a Saturday visit (Maldon is only an hour from me), but people rolled up so I missed the chance over the rest of the weekend.
Thanks for the photo's, it looks like a great exhibit!

kiwigeo
8th November 2006, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the pics Jack...a lovely bit of luthiers there!!

myguitar
10th November 2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Jack,
Thanks for the pics. I am sure it was a great festival. What is the instrument that looks like a "handbag". How does it sound. Any web site or name for the maker?

Chat soon, Fiona

:p

Jackspira
11th November 2006, 10:29 AM
Hi Fiona, took me a minuit to figure out what you meant! You mean the Lyre I think. Made by Murray and Dorothy Wight, www.lyreworks.com (http://www.lyreworks.com)
They are amazing instruments. The one in the picture is kind of double strung so it can be played with two hands, one either side. They sound gorgeous.
Jack

Strine
19th November 2006, 12:42 AM
Did you forget to turn right as you went in the door:) What about the constant screamers:(. Some mighty fine work as seen in the pickies all the same

Jackspira
19th November 2006, 09:06 AM
Yes strine, there was Paul Davies with his violins. Sorry, I seem to have not got a photo! There were a few others I missed too, sorry about that!
Jack

jmifsud
5th December 2010, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Jeff.
I am new to this community and wanted to know if anyone has a contact who makes hurdy gurdies or vielles as they might other wise be known.
look forward to your replies

mandoman
5th December 2010, 01:55 PM
Tim Guster makes Hurdy Gurdies and harps in Adelaide. Try Tim Guster - Harp Maker & Luthier (http://www.timguster.com.au)

Peter

jmifsud
5th December 2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks very much Peter
I just had a look at Tim's website. Beautiful looking instruments. should sound beautiful if they sound as good as they look.
Jeff