PDA

View Full Version : Box finishing options

Sir Stinkalot
30th September 2006, 10:09 AM
I am almost at a stage to start thinking about the best way to finish a number of bandsaw boxes .......

What are the best finishes to use for the boxes .....

The ideas that I have kicking around are .....
Danish oil (possibly + wax)
Shellac
Tung oil
Scandinavian (Teak) Oil

On my first box I tried Shellawax ..... and whilst it worked well on the areas that I could use the sandown mop on the hard to reach areas didn't come up as well.

I would prefer to retain the timber feel so that is why I am staying away from polyurathane. I know that some of the finished that I have mentioned above most likely contain some poly but they don't have that plastic feel.

Thanks

Stinky

Sculptured Box
30th September 2006, 06:50 PM
Sir Stinkalot

My preference now, following the Newcastle Wood Expo and having had a chance to speak with Neil Ellis - our UBeaut host, is to use Tung Oil after fine sanding the work.

Once the Tung Oil is dry, then use UBeaut's EEE - you'll only have to finish it once . I find the Tung drys evenly across all surfaces of the timber. The other advantage is the oiling/finishing hours are reduced.

As I say this is my preference, I know there are a number of experts out there who will have a different answer.

Auld Bassoon
30th September 2006, 07:13 PM
I use Danish Oil as my finish of preference.

Tony: Where do you source pure Tung oil? I don't think I've ever seen any...

Cheers!
Steve B

Sculptured Box
30th September 2006, 08:57 PM
Auld Bassoon,

Fortunately I purchased a large quantity of Tung Oil, a month or so later the business closed after two generations of trading.

So sometime in the future I will be looking for a new source of pure Tung Oil!

Barrie Restall
30th September 2006, 11:57 PM
Organoil products contain cold pressed tung oil which they claim is superior to acid-extracted tung oil. They told me they do not add polyurethrane but do add small amounts some other oils and additives.

They have a pleasant bloke on their technical line who seems to be pretty knowledgeable and doesnt mind answering stupid questions.

Barrie

ptc
1st October 2006, 10:57 AM
I use EEE and Traditional wax, from ubeaut.
and some times Shellawax cream.

AlexS
1st October 2006, 02:01 PM
I use Kunos oil cut 50/50 with bio thinners from The Natural Paint Place. See the attached link.

Finish it off with Trad Wax.
http://www.energyandwatersolutions.com.au/index.html

Dangermouse
1st October 2006, 07:43 PM
Where do you source pure Tung oil? I don't think I've ever seen any...I got my last tin from the Wood Works. They're now selling 5 litre containers as well as 1lt and 500ml - see the top 3 entries on this page:
http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/list.html?command=search&db=books.db&eqgroupdatarq=CONSUMABLE&eqcategorydatarq=OILS-RUBBING&groupsort=1&categorysort=2&skusort=3&heading=CONSUMABLE&max=30&cart=32336678611580844

Sir Stinkalot
1st October 2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the replies ..... I did fear that one oil isn't the same as another oil even if they are called the same thing. If you are recommending a finish would it be possible to include the brand name also given the varieties of additives.

I might try the danish oil followed by traditional wax.
I have used Rustin's danish oil on other projects and have been quite happy with it.

I have just looked up Tung Oil on Timbecon's web site ...... how about this for a sales pitch:
"Pure tung oil is the oil from the nuts of the tung tree, native to China. It is the basis of many commercial oil finishes for wood. Used on its own it tends to be drab, particularly when used on darker timbers so other oils are usually added to lift it and give the finish a richer sheen. "

Sculptured Box
1st October 2006, 10:49 PM
I have just looked up Tung Oil on Timbecon's web site ...... how about this for a sales pitch:
"Pure tung oil is the oil from the nuts of the tung tree, native to China. It is the basis of many commercial oil finishes for wood. Used on its own it tends to be drab, particularly when used on darker timbers so other oils are usually added to lift it and give the finish a richer sheen. "

I agree with the first part of this quote. However for sometime I relied upon a Tung Oil applied by applying layer upon layer and was able to get a lustre (referred to as a richer sheen). Now with the use of the EEE (UBeaut's) whilst I will continue to use the Tung Oil and let the treated (oiled) timber stand for 4-6 weeks, I find getting that desired lustre/richer sheen is there much sooner with the EEE - thanks to Neil for his worthwhile advice.