PDA

View Full Version : tutorial/captive ring

Jude A
1st October 2006, 08:46 AM
Yall asked for it and here it is my tutorial on a captive ring pen.
http://blogtext.org/pensbyjude
Now if someone can do one on inlay I would be greatfull.
Let me know what yall think good/bad on the tutorial
Jude

chrisb691
1st October 2006, 09:02 AM
Yall asked for it and here it is my tutorial on a captive ring pen.
http://blogtext.org/pensbyjude
Now if someone can do one on inlay I would be greatfull.
Let me know what yall think good/bad on the tutorial
Jude

Thanks for that, greenie is on it's way. :cool:

Toasty
1st October 2006, 09:37 AM
That's great, Jude. Greenie for you!

Touchwood
1st October 2006, 12:29 PM
Well done Jude, :D guess I now need to track down a hardware store that sells do it yourself detal equipment ... :confused: must say I have never seen this type of thing at hardware stores I frequent.

Thanks for the prompt tutorial

Jenny:) :) :) :)

Jude A
1st October 2006, 12:34 PM
You can try an auto repair parts shop for the tools.
Chrisb691 and Toasty forgive my knowledge of slang but what does "GREENIE" mean?????????

Touchwood
1st October 2006, 12:45 PM
:p when I first got one I thought it was that my idea was a sound conservation idea ... wrong, error, idiot, .... it is a way of giving you credit, brownie points etc .... go to your profile and you'll see that nice things are being sent your way!!

Jenny

Toasty
1st October 2006, 12:56 PM
Chrisb691 and Toasty forgive my knowledge of slang but what does "GREENIE" mean?????????
If you look below the posters name you will see a series of green dots. This relates to your reputation on the board. If you look slightly lower you will see something that I guess looks like a set of scales. To add to someone's reputation because you think they have done a particularly good post or giving a gold bit of information, click on the scales and you can add to it with a little message.

lubbing5cherubs
1st October 2006, 01:43 PM
Jude what other tool could you use beside dental??
Toni

Touchwood
1st October 2006, 01:54 PM
Jude what other tool could you use beside dental??

I'm wondering if that is what the bent nails tools I have seen posted by someone could be used for .... wonders now where this was... will have to go looking. Bursting now for a trip into town to go shopping ... damm long weekend ...

Jenny:rolleyes:

Touchwood
1st October 2006, 02:06 PM
As I have been known to say - no point getting older if you don't get smarter ...

memory does serve me correct .... seems anything from concrete nails, old files, allen keys have all been used

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=32238&highlight=nail+tools ... found these

Thinks I will still go look for the dental ones -- path of least resistance

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st October 2006, 08:08 PM
I'm wondering if that is what the bent nails tools I have seen posted by someone could be used for .... wonders now where this was... will have to go looking. Bursting now for a trip into town to go shopping ... damm long weekend ...

That's all I use, I'm not sure whether I've posted pix of 'em before or not, though. :confused:

Easy to make: just drive a 4" steel bullet-head nail about 1" into the end of a bit of broom-handle, then put the last 1/2" in a vice and bend... finally, a quick whizz on the bench-grinder, grey-wheel to remove the head and white wheel to sharpen, et voila! Instant ring tool.

I make a pair, one bending to the left, one to the right, sharpened much like a scraper. They're nothing flash (how flash can a nail in a stick be? :D) and grinding wears 'em away pretty quickly... but they'll last long enough to turn several rings, are quickly and simply made and one thing I do have is plenty of nails... ;)

(PS. Concrete nails last longer, but are more awkward to bend. [shrug])

Jude A
1st October 2006, 11:58 PM
never would have thought of nails. Good thought. I did try a small bowl scraper but even that was too big. I guess ya can cut a file of something but it has to be thin and that is whear the danger comes in. A while back when I was doing one the pic got stuck and lifted the handle out of my hand spearing me with the other end, that is why I say to turn snd push in slowely. I am going to make some handels for these things.
i am going to look around and see what else could be used.
any takers on a inlay tutorial?
Thanks jude