PDA

View Full Version : Lookin' for Critiques -- two pieces.

OGYT
1st October 2006, 10:39 AM
Black Walnut Bowl with rolled (I guess that's what it's called) rim. 9 5/8" dia X 4 3/4 deep X 3/8 thick. Danish Oil, Carnauba buff.
First time I've been particular about making this type of rim on a bowl this size. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> :p You blokes that make these undercut rims... my admiration... they're hard to cut with my tools. :eek: </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The little Hollowform is from the backyard of a friend, sent to me from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:City>Chula Vista</st1:City>, <st1:State>CA</st1:State></st1:place>. It's from a Brazilian Peppertree. (Never heard of it before). :confused:
It's 4" dia X 2 3/4 tall, with 3/4" opening... about 3/16" thick, except at opening. I have trouble making it as thin throughout as it is at the opening.
Lacquer washed, Woll-Wax rubdown, Carnauba buff.
Lookin for real critiques on both of these. Help me "see" better... For those who are tempted...I already wear glasses and eat carrots. :D :eek:
Thanks. <o:p></o:p>

OGYT
1st October 2006, 10:43 AM
Here's the other two pics of the hollow form.:D
It wouldn't take but four on that previous post. Skew? How do you post more than four?:confused: :confused:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st October 2006, 11:36 AM
I like the hollow form. Brazilian Peppertree you say? I've never heard of it before either. :D

You may admire people who regularly turn the rolled lips, but I'm envious of those who can do decent hollow form work. Whenever I try to work through a <1" hole I always seem to end up initiating a destruct sequence. :( Usually from catching the tool on the lip as I extract it for cleaning... it's always the little moments' of inattention that bring me grief. [sigh]

Skew? How do you post more than four?:confused: :confused:

Four? I'm pretty sure the maximum is five attachments per post, but they might've tweaked the forum software and changed this. I guess 'tis also possible that the embedded Office codes have been counted as one attachment. :rolleyes:

You could probably add more by using the http://URL.to.the/picture.location method but I don't recommend that 'cos the images aren't stored on the server and if the source site goes off-line no-one can see the pix.

tashammer
1st October 2006, 12:30 PM
LEARNING_MODE=ON

don't you stop the lathe so you can extract the tool safely?

The way my hand dodder there is other way i could get the tool out. (that's why i was impressed by that full length knee stop switch on that lathe i can never afford).

Touchwood
1st October 2006, 01:47 PM
I really like the fact that the Black walnut bowl has been left with some 'chunk' to it - you were not tempted to go fine - IMHO the wood needs the hefty feel.

The hollow form in Pepper tree is just gorgeous:) I'm allowed to say that:) I particularly like the knots and bits on the outer edge - they must have been a challenge at the tools so like to jump on these hard bits.

:D WELL DONE:D
JD

BernieP
1st October 2006, 07:08 PM
G'Day Al
as usual both look great to me, however your black pepper tree is not the most popular tree statesside read http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/schinus.html
Thanks for pics Bernie

Speanwoody
1st October 2006, 07:44 PM
think both pieces of work are excellent, I have t agree some times certain wood lend themselves to being left thick it makes them fell more tactile, like the pepperwood to its unusal, good to see other brands

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st October 2006, 08:37 PM
don't you stop the lathe so you can extract the tool safely?

I know I should, but I rarely do. :o Too impatient, I guess, but if I want to get through one without hitches I guess I'll have to start the habit, eh? :)

DJ’s Timber
1st October 2006, 09:01 PM
G'day Al

Nice forms, beautiful finish

TTIT
2nd October 2006, 01:29 AM
As usual - nice work Al.:):) You catchin' my bug Al ??? Gotta try every type of wood I can get my hands on lately - the more unlikely the better!!!:D

hughie
3rd October 2006, 09:23 AM
Here's the other two pics of the hollow form.:D

Al, Key hole turning. Like Skew I start out with a small hole.....and well the rest is history :mad: ;) :D

Nice effort, great looking finish. Hmm pepper trees, dunno that one :D

The Black Walnut is a great looking timber, well here goes my dimes worth.
Maybe it would look better if the top curve or radius was more gradual. Something a long the lines of the pic. Either way its good to see your work, nice one again!