PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw table question

old_picker
1st October 2006, 10:54 AM
Set up the new jet deluxe b/saw yesterday [easy enough on my own] including the riser block. I notice that the table has a hollow at the center radiating out in all directions pretty uniformly. At the centre it would be 5 thou or more. I will be using it for guitar building and resawing.

Apart from this issue it is a very solid well made saw.

Should I try for a flat table under warranty?
Am I just being a pedant?

Stuart
1st October 2006, 11:51 AM
Not sure if you would have much luck - you coudl always check the floor stock to see if any are better.

Given how accurate you want to be, you'd be better off adding your own table on top of the current one (sacrificing 15-20mm resaw height), complete with any particular jigs, fences etc that you need.

durwood
1st October 2006, 08:01 PM
I presume as its a Jet that the top is a good cast iron one, If you don't want to loose the 15-20 mm height as Stuart suggested why don't you take it off and get it surface ground.

An easy job for a company who surfaces heads for motor vehicles or someone with a milling machine. A good place will do it while you wait.

Chris Parks
1st October 2006, 08:46 PM
I just checked the table on my 18'' Jet and while the main part of the table is flat, the part outside the mitre gauge track falls away towards the edge by about 5 thou. I don't think that this will be a great concern.

craigb
1st October 2006, 10:50 PM
5 thousandths of an inch?

I don't come within cooee of that accuracy. :cool:

bitingmidge
1st October 2006, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure that 5 thou will make any difference to even the finest veneers off the saw... or do you guys know something about accuracy of bandsaws that I don't?

I suspect with a riser block in place, and the whole thing tensioned to a high "C", there'd still be more than 5 thou deflection in the blade!

cheers,

P

old_picker
2nd October 2006, 09:59 AM
I presume as its a Jet that the top is a good cast iron one, If you don't want to loose the 15-20 mm height as Stuart suggested why don't you take it off and get it surface ground.

Yes it does have a nice chunky iron top. Of the two solutions presented, the idea of a secondary top is easy and cheap. I have a riser block installed that gives me DOC of 300mm so losing 10% of that wont bother me at all. That is If I ever need that kind of accuracy. If I do, I am more likely to go for the table saw which is dead accurate. When all is said and done the BS will mainly be used for roughing out guitar bodies and necks and accuracy won't be paramount.

Thanks for helping me get this through my head.................