PDA

View Full Version : Gyprock sanding tip !

arose62
12th March 2003, 05:06 PM
This isn't my invention, but after seeing it posted somewhere ages ago, I've just spent the last two evenings using it, much to my relief, and my wife's delight, so I thought I'd post it here - as much to cement it in my mind for future use, as to share it.

When sanding down gyprock cement/filler, instead of using sandpaper, use a damp kitchen sponge.

Does pretty much as good a job, but doesn't cover everything and everyone in your house with white dust.

(I hope I'm not the last person in the world to have found this out .... )

Cheers,
Andrew

Gino
7th April 2003, 08:43 PM
I don't understand Andrew, how does a damp sponge sand down plaster?

thanks in advance

Gino

arose62
8th April 2003, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure about actual "Plaster", but a damp sponge works wonderfully for sanding the gyprock fillers (jointing compound) and cornice cement - the stuff you use to smooth the joints between sheets of gyprock.

I think the one I used was CSR "Total Coat - Lite". It might be different for other compounds...

The moisture in the sponge dampens and softens the filler, and sort of spreads it about, rather than scratching it off as sandpaper does.

Cheers,
Andrew

Gino
8th April 2003, 10:10 PM
thanks for that Andrew.

Gino

rod@plasterbrok
5th July 2006, 10:04 PM
Sponging the edges of the join is a great way to reduce sanding but should not replace sanding.

It will reduce the amount of sanding required. But sanding is more than just feathering the edge of the join. You will still need to sand out trowelling off marks and any over fill of the joins etc.

Sponging can also give an apperance of a feathered edge but actually create an edge visible after painting if not blended into the rest of the join with sand paper.

My tip is use a sponge to reduce sanding only.

Cheers

Rod Dyson

Plaster Brokers