PDA

View Full Version : Bed posts reconverted

stef1611
3rd October 2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

While driving on Pennant Hills Road a few months ago I saw a boarding school which had gotten rid of many beds. Stopped the car and filled it up... quite amazing all you can fit in a small BMW318..LOL.. Anyway, I used the posts to train myself with making tenons before I undertake some project with some nice wood. These were my first hand made tenons so please don't laugh at me too hard. I made teh work bench you can see on the pictures. I didn't want to spend more than a weekend doing it so it is a bit rough, but as long as it does the job, who cares?.... I need to drill some holes in order to conceal the screws of the clamp (is it called clamp in English, forgot now...). I put some decking oil on the top to make it look a bit more finished...
Cheers everyone,
STeph

Harry72
3rd October 2006, 06:41 PM
She come up alright mate, might want to countersink them blots holding the vice.

AlexS
3rd October 2006, 06:44 PM
Nice job...were they KING size beds?

Auld Bassoon
3rd October 2006, 08:00 PM
might want to countersink them blots holding the vice.

I take it that they might be "Blots on the Landscape" then? :D :D

Good weekend's work Stef!

oges
3rd October 2006, 09:06 PM
good work, looks more solid n sturdy than the bought one I have

stef1611
4th October 2006, 12:23 AM
Hi, thanx for the comments.... the bolts will be countersunk, I just got lazy at the end...lol... About the sturdiness, it is definitely heavy... I got the thickest boards I could find at bunnings..... Hopefully the feet won't collapse.. By the way, the bed posts were single beds for kids made of pine... Those people are crazy, throwing away all this nice wood... well not lost for everyone !!! lol...
Cheers everyone,
Steph

ian
4th October 2006, 12:52 AM
you may want to put a spacer under your vise so that the top of the jaws are below the top of the bench

ian