PDA

View Full Version : Multi purpose - What to Build

mcchaddy
3rd October 2006, 09:11 PM
Hi All,

I want to build a small sailing boat with the idea of overnight trips. Being able to camp on a beach, river bank etc. The boat needs to be quick to build, Easy to build, easy to sail(not much experience yet) and rig, able to be rowed if needed and possibly powered by a small 4 stroke if necessary. Must be capable of carrying 2 people with gear for an overnight stay. Maximum length of 15ft.

Open to all suggestions and opinions.

bitingmidge
3rd October 2006, 09:40 PM
Go on! Stretch the maximum length to 15'9"!!!

I'm perfectly biased, but I rather like my Goat Island Skiff (http://homepage.mac.com/peterhyndman/GISintro.htm) and it's perfect for all you describe, particularly the easy to build, quick to build etc etc.

Pop up to Mooloolaba and I'll take you for a spin. (send me a PM if you want to follow through.

Or you could build TWO PDRacers! (http://www.PDRacer.info)

Check out Boatmik's website at Storer Boat Plans (http://www.storerboatplans.com)

cheers,

P

mcchaddy
3rd October 2006, 10:42 PM
I suppose I could stretch it a little bit further.

I have read about the Goat island skif and the PD Racers on the site you mentioned...... this is what started all this madness. Now I cant sleep. I just read an interesting article from a local and respect boat builder and about all the boats he almost built. His philosphy for beginners is "Choose a design which is too small and too simple, then build it". Sounds like a great way to start. :)

Daddles
3rd October 2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, the Goat Island Skiff will do what you want, as will some other designs, but with those others, you won't be able to bug the designer on this forum :D

I didn't build the GIS because I wanted the complexity and nonsense of lapstrake ... so I got Mik to redesign the rig instead :D

Richard

bitingmidge
4th October 2006, 08:04 AM
"Choose a design which is too small and too simple, then build it". Sounds like a great way to start. :)

Ahhh... then you need the PDRacer! :D :D :D

P

mcchaddy
4th October 2006, 02:00 PM
Hi All,

I think I have found a boat that fits the bill.:)

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/designs/phoenix/index.htm

What are peoples thoughts. It may not be as easy to build as the GIS.

Wild Dingo
4th October 2006, 02:53 PM
Mate have you considered the Stevensons Weekender or Pilot boat designs? Just go here (http://www.stevproj.com) and spend some time... then look at their build video

You'll end up with a salty enough to burn yer eyesockets wee boat :cool:

No affiliation with the company just think theyre saltier than a ducks knuts slathered in rock salt is all ;)

onthebeachalone
4th October 2006, 07:13 PM
There are some Stevenson Weekenders and Pocket Cruisers around Brisbane. There were a couple at the last Bribie Island Classic Boat Regatta. I think I know where one of them is located if you want to talk to an owner. He probably knows about the others.

I have a set of Pocket Cruiser plans if you want to have a look.

Wild Dingo
5th October 2006, 01:35 PM
I have a set of Pocket Cruiser plans if you want to have a look.

Sweet little thing isnt it? Ive often thought it would make a nice wee fishing boat take of that cabin and she would take a fair net haul with a nice wee bit of room for a few bodies to move around a little bit... mmm on second thoughts maybe the cabin could stay? its not to bad as it is

Plans are cheep as chips too... what about $45AUD? takes a few days to get here from the US and theres a forum devoted to the stevensons designs :cool:

mcchaddy
9th October 2006, 09:15 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your ideas. I have never seen a Steveson Cruiser before. They look very good. I might have to investigate a bit further. But I do like the phoenix by ross lillistone. It going to be a tough decision.

I have been bitten by the PD Racer bug:eek: and think i might knock one in the next couple of weeks. I have plenty of bits and pieces lying around that will get the job done. Its amazing what is left over from a 2 year house renovation. Nice bits of hoop, silky oak and cedar. Also a few sheets of exterior and structural ply. Plus some tarps that were used to keep things dry. Should be able to put something together with all of it.:D

Daddles
10th October 2006, 12:18 AM
One thing to remember with the Stevenson boats is that the cabin is miniscule. They are loved by their owners though.

Richard

onthebeachalone
10th October 2006, 01:46 AM
Then again, you could always build a Mirror 16. They were designed for racing/cruising/camping (under a boom-tent) and are big enough to take a few friends out. ;)

Wild Dingo
12th October 2006, 08:53 PM
One thing to remember with the Stevenson boats is that the cabin is miniscule. They are loved by their owners though.

Richard

aahh yes and your point is? I mean ANY boat being 15ft or less is going to have a miniscule cabin Richard anyone that tells yer otherwise has hold of themselves!... even 17ft will have a small cabin... just the nature of the numbers mate... and!!!... it will all depend on how afflicted with the dreaded ducks desease he is eh wot? I mean if like me hes a short wheel base then the cabins gonna be sorta okay you know bareable? but if hes a long wheel base then his heads gonna be hittin the stem and his feet out the cabin hatchway :eek:

You know of late Ive been purusin the old magazine copies Ive been sent over the years... and Ive had some weird thoughts about the Bolger Birdwatcher :eek: you seen that one Richard? long skinny sucker with lexan windows the length either side bunks under and apparently many people have spent many weekends campcruisin in them sail, pole or small outboard either works

Also I reckon it would be a good fishin platform I mean I would make a couple of windows in her bum too that way I could rig up a row of those fishin pole holders all along either side and then sit back an watch the buggars bite! :D hoist the sail and head to shore to cook the feast :cool: In typical Bolger style its DIFFERENT but not necessarily weird or ugly different just different in a Bolger different sorta way ;)

Actually Im starting to think Im getting rather weird in my old age mate... I mean not only do I sorta have a weird hankering for the Birdwatcher but Im also having delusions of getting that Escargot thing... ever seen that one? bloody square box if I ever saw one!! initially designed for pedal power on the rivers its been converted to outboard and sorta kinda in a square weird Bolgerish sorta way like a canal boat... sorta? was designed by a fella up in Seattle USA plans cost about $80US

Im sorta starting to LIKE these off the wall type boats :eek: SOMEONE STOP ME!!! :eek: :D :p

Daddles
12th October 2006, 10:50 PM
I used to fear for your sanity Shane. Now, having read your wonderment at the ruddy Birdwatcher, I realise my fear was misplaced, you went nuts years ago :eek:

Bolger has done some good stuff, and with some of it, his wife should have stopped him :rolleyes:

Richard

ian
12th October 2006, 11:02 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for your ideas. I have never seen a Steveson Cruiser before. They look very good. I might have to investigate a bit further. But I do like the phoenix by ross lillistone. It going to be a tough decision.

I have been bitten by the PD Racer bug:eek: and think i might knock one in the next couple of weeks. I have plenty of bits and pieces lying around that will get the job done. Its amazing what is left over from a 2 year house renovation. Nice bits of hoop, silky oak and cedar. Also a few sheets of exterior and structural ply. Plus some tarps that were used to keep things dry. Should be able to put something together with all of it.:Dthere's always something like this
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/books/41k9105s3.jpg
plans at http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=51235&cat=1,46158,46166&ap=1

or this
also available from Lee Valleyhttp://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/books/49l8707s2.jpg see http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&p=48450&cat=1,46096,46097&ap=1

but I think my fovourite is this one
http://www.pygmyboats.com/images/WGW2_067.jpg
The WineGlass Wherry
14' LOA * 48" BEAM * 16" DEPTH * 90 LBS
comes in a kit

see http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/WGWSPECS.asp

ian

Wild Dingo
13th October 2006, 01:34 AM
Yes Richard ol mate its a well known fact that I was born sane but turned totally troppo when I saw and experienced some of the world and its inhabitants... having a different reality seemed so much bedda ;)

Ahem... serious is it Ian?

Okay then... what of the William Atkin Valgerda? Swedish or rather Norse type fishing boat small sail 18ft LOA three strakes to the sides nice and the type is apparently still raced and used as fishing boats over there...

What of... ooooooooooh gawd theres just so bloody many!! :eek: If you havent alread have a gander at Iain Oughtreds Wee Seal or Caladonian Yawl I beleive flatducks over east have the plans :cool: personally of all Iains designs I reckon his Grey Seal is jus the ducks knuts real sweet boat that one :cool:

oh my brain just pharted so I cant think anymore! :o

ian
13th October 2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah
the missus is starting to talk about getting something small and light for running about the upper harbour

ian

Wild Dingo
13th October 2006, 11:27 PM
Talking about that... I was just this arvo cogitating in the shed thinkin about this an that and a thought came to me... what about one of those sweet little cruiser things with the putput engine... like a patio on a boat type thingy old timey style... you know open sided top slatted seats just cruisin steadily along the tributaries of the upper reaches just me an me girl a fish or two and the put put put of the wee motor as we chug along the sun up high an we in the shelter but able to enjoy the gentle breezes... aaaahhhhhh damn but I do have some great cogitation times in me shed I dos! ;)

Daddles
14th October 2006, 01:27 AM
aaaahhhhhh damn but I do have some great cogitation times in me shed I dos! ;)

Well stop growing that funny baccy out there :D

Richard

Wild Dingo
14th October 2006, 01:28 PM
Now Richard I gave away that whacky hippy yippie weed many moons ago... but!! I do have a wicked cool home brew setup... well its not as good as I intend to have whenever I get my new shed... but by gar it does the trick!! :D

Boatmik
22nd October 2006, 09:01 PM
Bolger has done some good stuff, and with some of it, his wife should have stopped him :rolleyes:
Richard

Howdy Richard,

That be aesthetics? That causes you grief?

EVERYTHING Bolger designs is worth close study - specially the ones that you don't like the look of. He is one of the few that actually gets into some sort of really basic thinking about what really makes boats work.

Have you any inkling of the stability figures for Birdwatcher - those big lexan sides are brilliant - gives the boat a HUGE range of stability. Also be aware that it was designed as a cold weather cruiser - keeps the crew well out of the wind. Doing a trip on the Canadian lakes and rivers would be a hoot. The important thing to note is THAT NOTHING ELSE IN THE UNIVERSE IS EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO FULFILLING THE SAME FUNCTION.

AND BOLGER DOES IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Dozens of real breakthrough boats.

Almost everyone else sticks to a narrow range of design possibilities - and I think boat design is the poorer for it.

Bolger's books are worth close study. I reckon I've learned more about real boat performance and structure there than all other sources combined and multiplied by 5.

His method of lacing a mainsail luff to a mast so it doesn't jam when dropped makes his boats worth getting hold of for that one bit of info. Or his experiments with bow steering presaged the current crop of fast (and foolish) monohull ocean racers by almost two decades. He does the experiments and draws the correct conclusions.

One of the great features of the books is (or his writing in Small Boat Journal a decade or more ago) is that he is quite unbiased about his own stuff - his comments about his own boat's shortcomings and strengths are usually quite accurate.

The only defect with Bolger's plans is that some of his framing timber is much larger than need be for structural reasons - largely because solid timber has been really cheap in the USA over most of his career. Also usually there are no meaningful materials lists or assembly information - which is why he can be up to plan 8 hundred and something and I'm still mucking around in the twenties. But apart from that - not a defect.

Someone once said that all boat design is a compromise - I suspect the coiner of the phrase was a highly mediocre designer - Bolger works out what is essential to the particular boat - then from that point he uses his huge knowledge and intelligence to whittle away at every compromise until most are non existent.

St Phil I reckon (as you can clearly see by my writing here!

MIK

mcchaddy
8th November 2006, 01:43 PM
Hi All,

Well I have just purchase a set of plans for the Phoenix III, designed by Ross Lillistone of Bayside boats. It pretty much fits all of my requirements. 15ft, easy to build and sail, rowable and can take a small outboard. It is featured in the latest AABB #55. Work should start soon.

bitingmidge
8th November 2006, 04:04 PM
Cool,

Better start a new thread so we can all share your adventures then!

P
:D

onthebeachalone
8th November 2006, 06:41 PM
Well I have just purchase a set of plans for the Phoenix III, designed by Ross Lillistone of Bayside boats. I hope you will bring the plans along for show & tell at the WBAQ meeting next Tuesday? Actually, if you work really fast you could bring the boat along to the messabout at Lake Cootharaba this weekend.;)

Daddles
8th November 2006, 06:44 PM
Hmm, how long would a few sheets of ply and a roll of plans last floating on the lake :confused:

New thread please - Phoenix III and the adventures therof :D

Richard

mcchaddy
8th November 2006, 08:25 PM
The Phoenix plans are very thorough and very easy to follow. There are 23 A3 sheets in the plan set and also a construction booklet which is about 50 odd pages.

I have started to price sheets of ply and epoxy. Anyone know where the cheapest place to buy ply in brisbane is. I think I will use hoop pine ply. I am using recycled Hoop Pine for all the framing, keelson etc. The transom will be ply with a silky oak veneer (1/4") that will be clear coated.

p.s. I have a couple of things for show and tell.

Wood Butcher
8th November 2006, 08:42 PM
McChaddy,

Do you have any pictures of a completed Pheonix?

I've had a look at Bayside's website and it is a bit limited in details

onthebeachalone
9th November 2006, 06:52 AM
I did likewise and found that, while Ross has included pics of Phoenix in his "Gallery", for some obscure reason he has set up the gallery to randomly select and re-arrange the pics so you never know what you are going to see. (Keep's 'em guessing). :rolleyes:

Anyway, I hope Ross won't mind that I copied his pictures here.

I wonder what ashes of Phoenix I and II this one rose from. Must be a story there somewhere...

Daddles
9th November 2006, 09:20 AM
Sweet looking thing isn't she.:D

Richard