PDA

View Full Version : Help - hair for rocking horse

channa
4th October 2006, 11:53 AM
Making a small rocking horse. At the risk of offending purists, horses hair is a bit coarse for this little thing - does anyone know where you can buy dolls hair? I can order straight synthetic viscose hair from USA, but would be keen for something a little closer to home. :confused: Thanks.

Wongo
4th October 2006, 12:11 PM
Just the hair? What about the leatherwork and metalwork?

Not sure if you can get it locally. I will go straight to Anthony Dew http://www.rockinghorse.co.uk/cgi/shop/shop.cgi?cart_id=53127-10494&page=manes because the bloke from the US gets them from Dew anyway.

AlexS
4th October 2006, 01:32 PM
It's usual to use cow hair, as horse hair is too coarse. Over here there are a couple of people who get the raw materials from an abattoir and process it, but there may be quarantine problems sending it to NZ.

graemecarson
4th October 2006, 02:34 PM
This link might suit - I don't think these are horse hair but I'm not sure. A quick email could set you right. http://www.woodcarver.com.au/index1.htm

savage
4th October 2006, 04:19 PM
Have a look in the $2.00 shops for a cheap doll and use the hair from that!....:)

channa
4th October 2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone - I believe that there are quarantine issues with importing hair - especially if it is not on the hide.

Thanks for the Dew link Wongo - that'll go in my favourites - I'm working from a couple of his books, but making my own mods for this one.

Thanks graemecarson - I'll follow that one up as well.

As for you, Savage... wish I'd thought of that at lunch time! I might have to have Sushi for lunch again tomorrow! :D (Sushi shop right next door to $2Shop)

RufflyRustic
4th October 2006, 04:32 PM
Other ideas - likely or not?

Find/buy a doll with appropriate hair and reuse the hair (Warning - I wouldn't advise doing this with any female watching :eek: , oh, and get rid of any evidence aka bald doll later ;) )

Wigs - play or real or whatever you can find that's appropriate for the rocking horse - those 'fake' jewellry places seem to have wigs or hair pieces in my local shopping centres.

cheers
Wendy

HandyAndrea
4th October 2006, 08:35 PM
Why didn't you say so two days ago..... I had 10 inches or so (sorry Metric people!) cut off my own grey hair yesterday.....!! :)

Seriously, tho.... try "Spotlight" for doll's hair, or any other of the crafters supplies shops..... some do mail order!

Rosethorn
4th October 2006, 08:43 PM
Even thought you are not using horse hair this time, the best place to get tails and manes from are Saddleries. Horse people use false tails and manes to improve the look of their horses and a mob called champion tails supply them. Rocking horse tails and manes are also supplied by champion tails. Just a matter of contacting your local saddlery and chosing your coloured tail!
cheers Rosethorn

Lignum
4th October 2006, 08:43 PM
Theirs a couple of horses in the paddock behing me with nice hair. If your interested;)

channa
5th October 2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks again everyone - my local spotlight sell eyes, but say they don't sell dolls hair. I'll find a sadlery today Rosethorn, and I'll keep your generous offer in mind Lignum.