PDA

View Full Version : Tipuana tree? How's it turn?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th October 2006, 11:45 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows what Tipuana Tree (Rosewood tree?) turns like?

A Brisbane bloke in the Home Renovations section (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=38583) apparently wants one downed... and it has piqued my curiosity.

TTIT
6th October 2006, 12:10 AM
Skew - just finished this one a couple of weeks ago, roughed out about 2 months ago. Cut it down for my daughter so they could extend their carpark. White when I cut/turned it but took on a green tinge as it dried. Thought the colour would disappear when I finish-turned it but it still has this lime green tinge though the photo doesn't show it well. It is apparently the timber of choice for polo mallets because it's light and doesn't split too easy.
These things are all over town out here because they're fast growing, good shade trees and get to quite a size. If I'm offered a big one, I'll probably grab some to play with but won't go out of my way for it.:)

Caveman
6th October 2006, 12:12 AM
Hi Skew - we have loads planted around here in urban areas.
Have cut one down recently and left it to dry. Looked a nice wood, but exuded a fair bit of gum from between the bark & sapwood. Was only a small tree - bigger ones should be real nice - felt like quite a hard timber.
Worth a try.
Don't know if you've seen this: http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive/weeds/weeds-alert/t-tipu.html

Tried a google on Tipuana tipu - overload of info - need time to trawl through it.

tashammer
6th October 2006, 12:14 AM
that's not a polo mallet. you are being tricky again aren't you TTIT. You tried to fool us. Thats a sauce bottle from the sauce bottle tree and it still has its bark on. i knew what it was straight away.

Tornatus
6th October 2006, 12:21 AM
G'day Skew

Can't say I've turned any, but give the Brisbane bloke a big pat on the back for chopping the nasty Bolivian pest down - Tipuana is classified as a weed which constitutes a serious threat to our native plants. Unfortunately, a lot of them have been planted in towns as ornamentals, and in the bush as shade/fodder trees, particularly in Queensland (funny, that - aren't they the people who also imported cane toads?). Problem is that they seed prolifically and have become a real menace (like mesquite). Chop 'em all down, I say - and if they happen to be good to turn, more's the better!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th October 2006, 12:55 AM
Thanks fellas. I don't think I'll be travelling to Brissie to take him up on his offer, though. I'll keep an eye out for it more locally to me though... there's bound to be one or two around and my chainsaw is patient. ;)

Don't know if you've seen this: http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive/weeds/weeds-alert/t-tipu.html

Tried a google on Tipuana tipu - overload of info - need time to trawl through it.

The URL's not familiar but the site is. Must be a couple of different URLs leading there. :)

I know what you mean by google's info overload... I wish there was a way to exclude certain results.

Recently I had reason to look up "Pittosperum" again and of the top 15 or so results, some 5 were links back here to the UBeaut forums! Worse, they were to my posts! :eek: "Ask the expert!" [snigger]

tashammer
6th October 2006, 01:33 AM
I know what you mean by google's info overload... I wish there was a way to exclude certain results.

Agreed. But methinks it would not be in Google's advertisers interests. Something that really pees me off is how so many of those crud search engines take top billing in the Google rankings.

Has anyone noticed that an inceasing number of Google's links lead to the "You are not allowed to view..."'s.

cedar n silky
6th October 2006, 09:18 AM
Round and round and round:D :D Pay back time!!:)

ss_11000
6th October 2006, 04:35 PM
Round and round and round:D :D Pay back time!!:)
wow. seven replies to get this response:eek: .

never turned the stuff btw.

BernieP
6th October 2006, 07:02 PM
G'Day Skew
Just my opinion but I think there is only one search engine to get relevant info (most of the time) and that is http://www.ixquick.com/ enjoy
Bernie

OGYT
7th October 2006, 11:50 AM
TTIT, really nice vase... probably try to copy that soon... with Mesquite. OK? Love that bark ring around the outside. :o
Skew... My favorite search engine is Copernic Basic. Free download. Works well. You can search for an exact wording without any hassle. http://www.copernic.com

Jackson
7th October 2006, 07:50 PM
TTIT

Are the rings at the top of the sauce bottle burned in? They seem quite fine - or possibly the piece is bigger than it looks!

Jacko

soundman
7th October 2006, 09:27 PM
I think that the woodworkers campaign on woody weeds should be formalised and enshrined in law.

A wood worker should be able to carry a chainsaw on any crown land including national parks as long as you can prove a history hacking down declared nasty spicies such as camphor laurel, tipuana and kadagi.

afterall the only known natural predator of the camphor laurel is the woodworker, the most prolific being " woodworker backyardi sub sp turneri"

cheers

TTIT
8th October 2006, 11:57 PM
I think that the woodworkers campaign on woody weeds should be formalised and enshrined in law.

A wood worker should be able to carry a chainsaw on any crown land including national parks as long as you can prove a history hacking down declared nasty spicies such as camphor laurel, tipuana and kadagi.

afterall the only known natural predator of the camphor laurel is the woodworker, the most prolific being " woodworker backyardi sub sp turneri"

cheers
I'll second that!:D

Are the rings at the top of the sauce bottle burned in? They seem quite fine - or possibly the piece is bigger than it looks!
Jacko
!!!#$%^$% "Sauce bottle" :eek::eek: &$#^%$#$ :mad::( splutter, splutter!

It's about 200mm high and the rings are burnt in which I rarely do but it looked bare. It was actually just to test a hollowing tool I'm working on and to see what the wood was like to work with. Wouldn't have posted a pic of it if the Tipuana question hadn't popped up. :o

tashammer
9th October 2006, 01:23 AM
i wonder if there would be any point of your local woodworkers/turners group approaching the local council and letting them know some folks might be interested in helping clear up. There again might have liability problems.

journeyman Mick
10th October 2006, 12:33 AM

cheers

Kadagi (cadagi, cadaghi, cadagai, cadaga), Eucalyptus (Corymbia) Torreliana, is a native.

Mick

Cliff Rogers
10th October 2006, 12:45 AM
You can name your weeds here...
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=ibra.tpl&ibra=all

& this pages has just the tree weeds...
http://www.weeds.org.au/cgi-bin/weedident.cgi?tpl=form.tpl&state=&s=&ibra=all&form=tree

There are some Australian Natives on the list but Cadaga Cadaghi Cadagi Eucalyptus torelliana is not listed.

soundman
11th October 2006, 01:04 AM
Torilana may be a native but its considered a pest down here.... filthy tree... drops huge limbs.... nothing lives in it or eats it except tiny little black beetles.

It was promoted as a street tree down here but the authorities have repented of their foolishness and is now considered "botanica non grata"

Also said to be usless as timber...... but as long as you dont mind discarding the sometimes very thick sapwood .... the true wood is quite a good timber.

The umbrella tree is also a native (AFAIK) but is considered an enviromental pest.

cheers

Rocker
11th October 2006, 04:19 AM

Skew,

You can do that with Google - just use their Advanced search option.

Rocker