PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Sacraficial top on work bench??

Strungout
7th October 2006, 12:51 PM
I want to fix a sheet of masonite to the workbench top (MDF) I am making and just wanted to get some suggestions on what to use so I could remove it in future if needed/damaged.

Thanks

Greg

tashammer
7th October 2006, 01:14 PM
how about making some lipping so that it overlaps the edge of the masonite and protects the edges of the mdf top. That will hold the masonite in place and you don't have to worry about brad heads on the bench top.

NewLou
7th October 2006, 01:24 PM
Gidday:D

I hold mine down with some Sachy square drive screws (Top quality) If you strategically place them you'll have no worries dinging blades etc etc. If you wanna be supercareful you can countersink the screws then fill them with builders bog, plastic wood or the like (then no chance of dinging a blade) When it comes time to replace the top you just chisel this out with a scratchawl/centerpunch etc etc

N theres ya apples

REgards Lou:D:D:D

Ashore
7th October 2006, 02:01 PM
I want to fix a sheet of masonite to the workbench top (MDF) I am making and just wanted to get some suggestions on what to use so I could remove it in future if needed/damaged.

Thanks

Greg
I glued mine down figured I could glue another sheet over it , that yas over 12 years ago and the first top is still fine . I gave the masonite 3 coats of white gloss enamel and since then I have twice cleaned the top up and re-coated , I find the gloss paint makes cleanup easier and gives you a smooth surface to work on .

Lignum
7th October 2006, 02:13 PM
Greg, all the workbenches i make, i just use sellys kwik grip. It holds it down perfectly and its easly ripped up when replacing the top. Dont use industrial stuff like Anchor weld as its to strong. The sellys is an ordinary quality handyman glue perfect for the workbench D

Auld Bassoon
7th October 2006, 06:19 PM
When I put a Masonite top on my shop-build crapiata bench, I also made up some edging strips from Tas Oak that stood proud of the pine top by half a gnat's more than the thickness of the Masonite.

I also drilled a couple of finger holes in the pine top, so when I want to replace the Masonite, I can just push it up. It isn't glued down at all, but the framing holds it nicely in place.

I did apply a couple of coats of wax to the surface so as to make any spillages, squeeze-out, etc easy to clean.

mikev
7th October 2006, 11:36 PM
For many many years I've just nailed the masionite to bench top. This way it's easy to take up when you need to.
This is in a state high school where they take a flogging and are replaced every two years.

zvon
1st April 2009, 02:03 AM
Hi Lignum,
This is an old thread, but I would appreciate if you advise if the full contact surface between bench top and masonite sheet is glued or you do only spot glueing at say 8in grid.
Regards,
Zvon

Old farmer
1st April 2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, zvon, because only the other day I was wondering whch way up I should sit the Masonite, smooth or rough, please?

It's a silly question but I do not know the answer.

jmk89
1st April 2009, 04:15 PM
When I put tempered masonite on my benchtop, I screwed it down with csk screws every 400mm or so (in a squared pattern) with no adhesive. That has kept it adequately firm for me. I expect it will be easy to lift off when the time comes. If you want to use glue then this suggests blobs on that kind of centring should work.

PS I put it rough side down to get the smooth surface to work on.