PDA

View Full Version : A Box (may I live long enough to learn)

Flowboy
7th October 2006, 03:38 PM
Hi all,

I made a box. At least its a learning exercise with the view to making real ones. This is Burmese Padauk, with Sydney Blue Gum for the inlay and the tray. The tray isn't higher one one side than the other, but I suspect a quick visit to Dr Bandsaw will fix that or maybe I should level the W/S floor!. I was going to use hand made Jarrah dowels for the tray joints, but ended up with rebated corners glued together with Hot Stff yellow. (as were the corners of the box itself, which were to have dominoed splines in them.)
The mitres were cut on a Makita LS1214 SLMS, using 45 degree bevel. The timber at that stage had been resawn on a BS to 12mm depth. The box itself is about 300mmx150mm. All routing was done using a CMT 3/8 straight bit on a Triton Router table The trough for the inlay was cut using the domino set to cut at 6mm depth and using a 6mm cutter.
I finished the whole fracas by using 80-600g dry, then 600-2000 wet. Scandinavian oil was used. EE Ultrabright after sanding then Trad wax and buffed with Lambswool. If you ever decide to try making a box and think Padauk might be good to start with, call me first!!!

Regards

Rob

Wongo
7th October 2006, 03:59 PM
Hey Rob, I like it. It's simple and very well made.

Wild Dingo
7th October 2006, 05:16 PM
Echos of Scots response from over here to mate :cool:

That "Burmese Padauk" sure seems to look very similar to the stuff Ive got thats branded "Malaysian Sepiature" same wavy grain same seeming gold look... mmm interesting :cool:

gazaly
7th October 2006, 09:01 PM
Nice work FB, I like it.:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th October 2006, 09:31 PM
It looks damned good from what I can see, just the same. :)

If you ever decide to try making a box and think Padauk might be good to start with, call me first!!!

:confused: I'd have thought you'd have more trouble with the Sydney Blue Gum?

Mind you, I'm unfamiliar with Burmese Padauk. African Padauk (Pterocarpus Soyauxii) is a truly lovely wood to work, although it has some interlocking grain. However, Andaman Padauk (P. Dalbergioides) is coloured much like Amboyna (P. Indicus) and about the same to work.... interlocking grain and murder on tools. :(

Flowboy
8th October 2006, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone,
Skewy, I really thoght the Bluegum would be the nightmare, but not so in comparison
The timber I used was sold to me by Australian Furniture timbers as "Burmese Rosewood" which on questioning was proven to be Padauk(Pterocarpus macrocarpus) It planes, but just and pits readily. Sawing was OK, but resawing on the band saw was hard work and left a gum residue in the blade. The grain is somewhat convoluted and the timber is prone to tearout when routing at low speed across the grain. Howewver, it sands well, glues reasonably well and holds finish well. Its also fairly dense and I think it would be perfectly happy outside, with the correct finish and thickness used. All in all I think I'd use it again.

Wild Dingo, the same company sells Sepetir (Malaysian) as two subspecies, Copaiflora ?palicetri and sindora. Dont have a pic, but the pics below show what I used in a rough cut state.

Regards

Rob

Doughboy
8th October 2006, 02:28 PM
Nice box Flowboy. Very nice finish I like how it looks as though you can sink your hand into the finish.. It has a kind of soft look I s'pose is what I am trying to say.

Well done

Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th October 2006, 05:49 PM
Skewy, I really thoght the Bluegum would be the nightmare, but not so in comparison
The timber I used was sold to me by Australian Furniture timbers as "Burmese Rosewood" which on questioning was proven to be Padauk(Pterocarpus macrocarpus)

I've heard of the stuff, but never worked it. I think that I'll stick with the African Padauk if I can, although I can't help but wonder how the Burmese would turn.

It looks lovely, regardless of your professed mistakes. :)

Gumby
8th October 2006, 06:31 PM
Well done on the mitred corners. Nice looking finish on the timber too.
They are about the hardest of joins to get right and yours look very good.
I don't even attempt them. That's one reason I got my Gifkins. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th October 2006, 07:13 PM
Changed your mind about selling it, Gumby? :D

Gumby
8th October 2006, 07:42 PM
I'm still in 2 minds. I've been playing with the incra and the joints are nice but there's something about a Gifkins. ;)