PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Shed

haemish762
7th October 2006, 09:56 PM
Hello all, i know this is not strictly a wood turning post but it does relate to it.

I am in the process of building a shed and am running low on money, thanks to a hefty mortgage! Seeing that christmas is on the way and that i know it is always hard to buy for Wifes and girlfriends, i was hopeing some of you could have a look at my wife's web site
www.squigglycreations.com.au
she makes jewellery and said she would help me with the concreting of the floor.
It's not a dodgey pyramid thing, she makes all the jewellery herself here in the Shire. I just need a place to put my lathe, other than under a tarp in the backyard. It's a bit hard to use there.

Cheers Haemish

Auzzie turner
7th October 2006, 10:13 PM
and your point about "the perfect shed" is??

Andy Mac
7th October 2006, 10:18 PM
Hi haemish,
If you're trying to promote sales through your wife's website, perhaps it should have gone to the Announcements thread.

Good luck with your shed.:)

haemish762
7th October 2006, 10:42 PM
I will repost there instead.

Re. the perfect shed... any shed at the moment would be a perfect shed... that is the point!

lubbing5cherubs
8th October 2006, 08:26 AM
Hey Mate, I have used my lathe for the last 6 months in a shed similar like yours, I had no roof. Well last weekend I became a proud owner of a roof. So hang in there. Well it did for me. Hubby got in and built for me, a lean too of the house.
Toni

TTIT
9th October 2006, 12:47 AM
Hey Mate, I have used my lathe for the last 6 months in a shed similar like yours, I had no roof. Well last weekend I became a proud owner of a roof. So hang in there. Well it did for me. Hubby got in and built for me, a lean too of the house.
ToniJust in time eh Toni! - the storms will be rolling in pretty soon (hope) :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2006, 12:58 AM
I gather that setting up your Leda at the foot of the bed had nothing to do with it, Toni? :rolleyes:

tashammer
9th October 2006, 01:11 AM
No Skewy, he was just following

La truciolara
10th October 2006, 01:03 AM
and your point about "the perfect shed" is??
My interpretation of it is that if you are generous enough through buying nice jewelry for your laidies... he might get his perfect shed for the lathe. ;) :)

tashammer
10th October 2006, 04:17 AM
La truciolara ermm, well yer average Australian culture aint like yer average European culture. Youse 'ave 'ad time to develop manners and stuff like that. We haven't, well other than "Please pass a tinnie over ya mug" <------ high class cultural exchange.

Another example:

European - "My darling, you look ravishing tonight. Ah, and what is that delightful perfume you are wearing?

Australian - "Yer home then, pass a tinnie would ya. What's that pong?"

European - "With my own hands and heart i have created for you the perfect bowl. See the rare beauty of its lines, gasp with pleasure at the silky smooth feel, just like your skin my darling" he said.

Australian - " Yer know that dish yer wanted, well i dunnit Shirl."
"Ave yer dear, good oh. Put the dog food innit then and here's a tinnie".
"Aw gee Shirl, yer gave me a tinnie without me arksing. Does that mean yer likes me new bowl?"
"Course it does ya drongo. Now go and make me that laminex dining suet yer promised cos i broke me larst orange box".
"Aw gee Shirl, aw gee. Hey?"
"Give us a kiss then Shirl".
Wild cackle and chase around the kitchen ensues.

Shirl goes back to jointing the saveloys (tricky operation this).

Merv saunters off to the shed, a gleam in his eye and he plans the dining suite like no other, orange laminex and all.

Merv & Shirls place radiates contentment to the street. All is well.

Dean
10th October 2006, 11:45 PM
LOL tas :)

Wild Dingo
10th October 2006, 11:54 PM
:eek: I thought Id gotten rid of those bloody video cameras!! :mad: bloody tasweejan buggar!! :rolleyes: gerroudamehouse yer lout! :p

Man you had us down to a t tas! :cool: nothin like sharein the Aussie kulcha with the rest of the world... no bullshyte friggin ladeda pampered woosie culture for us fellas ruff as flamin dogs knuts us mob! :D

lubbing5cherubs
11th October 2006, 10:05 AM
I gather that setting up your Leda at the foot of the bed had nothing to do with it, Toni? :rolleyes:

You mean I had to put it at the foot of my bed, not in bed with me, awwwww skew??? bugger that not cricket:( :) :p :D
Toni

tashammer
11th October 2006, 01:14 PM
Aw, Toni, Toni, Toni, Toni

I dunno. Listen kid. Yer put yer lathe agin the side of the bed that yer get out of so that when yer sort of surface all you have to do is try to sit up, chuck yer legs outa bed and when yer top half is vertical then yer find yerself sitting at the side of yer lathe. Next yer have 2 options - either limbo out of bed under the lathe or start turnin. If yer got yer head screwed on right last night you will have loaded a pen blank ready to start in the morning.

Then all yer gotta do is knock out a couple of very nice pens which will give yer a boost for the day. THEN yer do the limbo under the lathe which gives yer the stretching exercises to keep you lithe and limber.

See, easy peezy.

What ever yer do don't mistakenly put the lathe on the other side of the bed cos; 1)there might be a wall there; 2) yer may have a partner who might not like bumping into metal objects before they are fully awake (or even if they are fully awake).

Yer can tell if yer partners a keeper if
a) yer put the lathe on the wrong side of the bed and
b) when the night choice sez, "Hey nice lathe!" after barking their shins on the lathe stand.

Well i mean, stands to reason don't it?

Well, i was bein tricky. It's better to have someone moanin and groaning about the "carmine fluid lathe" than having someone using yer tools, lathe, and timber, innit?

Farnk
12th October 2006, 08:24 AM
I had some similar issues with getting proposed critically important home improvement (toy) expenditure past SWMBO until I came upon a brilliant idea.:cool:

I came into a bit of cash from a work bonus, put a bit off the mortgage and left a bit aside for a splurge. At about the same time SWMBO's watch packed it in. I had bought the thing about 10,000 years ago as a gift when we were first going out.

So, glint in the eye, I sent her to the local jewellers to look for a replacement. Mother in law works at same Jeweller's, so a staff discount was in the offing.

Anyhoo, SHMBO picks out a watch and shows it to me, but I see from her body language that it isn't the one her heart desires. I tell her to stop mucking around and we move from the $200-$350 display case to the Rado case.

End result after much "protesting" by SHMBO is that we walk away with $2000+ of timepiece.

I'll pause at this point to allow you all to say "what the H^&*%^ are you doing you fool?" or similar.

This is the part where the cunning part starts in this 'cunning plan'

So, it's been 7-8 years since now, and EVERY TIME we are out at Bunnies, Carbatec or a wood show, etc and the urge for a new toy bites. I go to make a selection and the inevitable 'look' appears from SHMBO, I counter this by asking:

"What's the time Darling?"

Works every time, and the initial investment has been repaid many times, with the shed being the major recipient.:D

RufflyRustic
12th October 2006, 09:38 AM
A very successful Cunning Plan!! I just may use that on HWMBO myself :D

Greenie Launched!!

Cheers
Wendy

tashammer
12th October 2006, 10:19 AM
Farnk that is gloriously, wonderful you devious sod. Talk about a long term investment paying dividends.

OGYT
12th October 2006, 12:47 PM
Sly as a Fox, you are!

ficfac
8th February 2009, 08:48 PM
might have to try similar:D

ElizaLeahy
9th February 2009, 09:34 AM
LOL you are all NUTS!

I did something similar with GOATS!

I had two goats, they had no shed. So I made a little yard for them with an undercover area - on the verandah outside our bedroom.

In very short time hubby had built me a very solid goat shed, and it doubled as a workshed as well.

What he didn't realise was that this meant I could also get more goats...

Anyway - my perfect shed would be made of wood. Cooler then tin! Having learnt a lesson from the goat shed it would also be raised slightly (one or two steps) and around the bottom of the wall there would be a space (about 8 inches) where I could get rid of saw dust! Then I'd have chickens to mulch the sawdust into something I could stick on the garden, where I would grow vegies.

I miss my shed...

Ed Reiss
9th February 2009, 01:08 PM
LOL you are all NUTS!

...congratulations, only took you 3 1/2 weeks to figure that out :o

ElizaLeahy
9th February 2009, 01:13 PM
...congratulations, only took you 3 1/2 weeks to figure that out :o

In my own defense I'd have to say that it took that long because you were all hiding in the woodpile!