PDA

View Full Version : Orts Bowls

Gil Jones
8th October 2006, 04:04 PM
Left is Black Cherry:41.275mm hi X 50.8mm wide.
Right is Spalted Live Oak Burl:57.15mm hi X 63.5mm wide.
They are for putting orts in.

ss_11000
8th October 2006, 04:34 PM
very nice peices. the finish looks great. i like the form on both ( cept the base on the left but everyone likes different things:))

Just a question: What is an ort?

tashammer
8th October 2006, 04:39 PM
i bet you could hold a fair few orts in those.

Tell me Gil, are you familiar with the Australian use of the word "ort" which is, i suspect, a corruption of the word nought, as in ring. So when someone invites another person to insert it up their ort it is not necessarily considered a polite request.

Example: "Well, you can jam that right up yer ort!"

The Australian vernacular is full of richness and reflects the myriad ways in which Engrish may be mangled successfully and enhance cultural diversity.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th October 2006, 06:46 PM
The knotty piece looks great, Gil. I've made a few similar pieces and although they're not much use for anything else, the knots aren't exactly water-proof, :rolleyes: I've a soft-spot for that "look." :)

Orts? I gather you mean food-scraps? As in "ya orta shove that ort up yer ort?"

cedar n silky
8th October 2006, 07:43 PM
Nice one Gil. Particularly like the Spalted live oak! Likewise, what is an ORT? Is it an abreviation of "Ought" to put something in there, but I've got so many bowls of all shapes and sizes and timber types lying around, that I havn't anything else to put in!! (Like me!):D

TTIT
9th October 2006, 12:44 AM
Left is Black Cherry:41.275mm hi X 50.8mm wide.
Right is Spalted Live Oak Burl:57.15mm hi X 63.5mm wide.
They are for putting orts in.
Love the spalted oak piece Gil - beautiful bit of wood :D:D:D

Methinks ye might be doing some leg-stretching regarding 'orts' eh! :) Payback I suspect!;):D

OGYT
9th October 2006, 09:55 AM
Methinks ye might be doing some leg-stretching regarding 'orts' eh! :) Payback I suspect!;):D

As Skew says, the word "ort" really means a crumb of food, but is used here in the upover in th' vernacular, for a "scrap" of anything, such as threads, lint, candy wrappers, etc. (learned that on another forum):eek:

Well done, Gil. Both of 'em, but I really like that one on the right, from the spalted oak. Awesome grain in that chunk of wood...:D
I think our problem in my part of the country is that our trees don't ever live long enough to have burls!!:p

Gil Jones
9th October 2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your kind comments, and far reaching philosophical ramblings.
I was not familiar with the word "ort" (in any context) until about 10 days ago. No legs were being pulled, and had I known the Australian meaning of Ort I probably would still have posted the same description, though I might have elucidated on it a bit more. In days gone by, Orts Bowls were used at table for scraps of food, such as gristles and bones. In the case of my little Orts Bowls, when a group of ladies gather to sew quilts, and such, the orts bowls are used as a container for short 'scraps' of thread and yarn. I suppose the little bowls help keep a tidy work place. In Japan, or where ever silk threads are used, the orts bowl is used to save the short scraps of silk thread because they can be recycled back into usable thread. Anyway, these little bowls are fun to turn, and they allow me to make use of otherwise waste orts of wood.:)
Gil