PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Pen Swap Giveaway

Pages : 1 [2]

RufflyRustic
31st October 2006, 02:49 PM
Hi Touchwood,

Yes, sorry I forgot who I had pm'd and who I hadn't:o Safe and sound and lots of oohs & ahs about them:)

Sounds like a good plan Neil.

Cheers
Wendy

PS Thanks Stirlo and Toni

lubbing5cherubs
31st October 2006, 03:17 PM
great Job Wendy you are doing well
Toni

RufflyRustic
1st November 2006, 10:17 AM
More Feedback.

The Guys seem to like the Americano pens more than the others.

cheers
Wendy

dai sensei
1st November 2006, 06:47 PM
More Feedback.

The Guys seem to like the Americano pens more than the others.

cheers
Wendy

So charge more for them. After all, the kits do cost more.

Skewpid
2nd November 2006, 10:34 AM
Guys .. Im gonna hand over my four pens to the local school auction who are raising money for the kids there.

The pens can either be sold in a silent auction (not sure if I like that too much) OR .. at the craft stall they are doing...

Thing is, its on THIS SATURDAY .. and just want all yawl to be ok with me doing this I spose.:rolleyes:

Otherwise, I will hang onto them and send em to Rustic, or whoever else is keen to raise money.

Ta heaps

chrisb691
2nd November 2006, 12:43 PM
Okay by me.

RufflyRustic
2nd November 2006, 01:07 PM
Yes, I'm charging more for the pens :)

DJ’s Timber
2nd November 2006, 01:17 PM
Guys .. Im gonna hand over my four pens to the local school auction who are raising money for the kids there.

The pens can either be sold in a silent auction (not sure if I like that too much) OR .. at the craft stall they are doing...

Thing is, its on THIS SATURDAY .. and just want all yawl to be ok with me doing this I spose.:rolleyes:

Otherwise, I will hang onto them and send em to Rustic, or whoever else is keen to raise money.

Ta heaps

Fine by me

RufflyRustic
2nd November 2006, 02:26 PM
Well, so much for the 'big' sale :( , only sold one keyring, a box and no pens!! :mad:

Guess I'll be giving all my family pens this xmas :rolleyes: :) at least they will be getting superb pens :D

cheers
Wendy

ss_11000
2nd November 2006, 04:37 PM
unlucky wendy.

RufflyRustic
2nd November 2006, 04:59 PM
yeah, :( , that happens.

hmm, Might go see what I can sell to my hairdresser :D and there's always Rocker's GTG this weekend:D :D

lubbing5cherubs
2nd November 2006, 06:21 PM
Sorry that you bummed out but don't worry you sold some. Good going. More than I can say I have been lately :(
Toni

Skewpid
6th November 2006, 12:45 PM
Howdy all . .

The four pens I donated to the local school for their fund raising fete has pulled in $100. So, not too uhappy about that:)

RufflyRustic
6th November 2006, 12:53 PM
Nice one Skewpid!!:)

lubbing5cherubs
6th November 2006, 01:16 PM
great job skewpid you did well there mate
Toni

Skewpid
6th November 2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks 'girls' ;)

Would have liked an extra 5-10 bucks a pen, but its the thought that counts:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th November 2006, 07:43 PM
Skewpid, do you know if they sold 'em at different prices or did they just pop a $25- price tag on the lot?

That's a fair price (not good, but fair) for Slimlines... I hope that's what they sold!

Lessee... so far, I believe Ruffly is way out front in the fund-raising dept., you've just stepped into second place... and I'm yet to leave the starting gate. :rolleyes:

Skewpid
7th November 2006, 12:39 AM
Skewpid, do you know if they sold 'em at different prices or did they just pop a $25- price tag on the lot?

That's a fair price (not good, but fair) for Slimlines... I hope that's what they sold!

Lessee... so far, I believe Ruffly is way out front in the fund-raising dept., you've just stepped into second place... and I'm yet to leave the starting gate. :rolleyes:

Im not too sure what they did with the prices ... I had to work:( on Saturday when the fete was on, so didnt get to instruct re prices etc.

All were slim jims bar one which was a euro style in the mulberry with the bone laminate. Would have liked to get a bit more for that one, but ... was for charity. If it was money for me? . .. well, that be a different story.:cool:

Sir Stinkalot
7th November 2006, 02:45 PM
Howdy all . .

The four pens I donated to the local school for their fund raising fete has pulled in $100. So, not too uhappy about that:)

Sounds like a good sale to me.

I know that everybody is saying that slimline handturned pens should sit at around $25-$30 however in order to reach this figure you need somebody willing to part with $25-$30.

In my experience I have noticed a sharp decline in pen sales, possibly due to an influx into the market, perhaps I have exhausted all of my avenues of sales or perhaps my pens just dont cut the mustard.

I would have thought that years ago hand made was a term of quality, a step above the store purchased, mass produced rubbish. It seems now however that hand made is a term that is no longer a selling point and has found its place as a somewhat poor comparison to the mass produced product.

The value that we place on our pens knowing full well the expenses involved, including timber, kits, the lathe, the bandsaw, the finish and the time, isn't recognised by the buyer who just sees an expensive pen. I know that selling pens will never match the same earning status of the Monday to Friday job however the perceived value of our craft in the publics eye seems to be diminished below that of our own.

Of the pens that do sell the acrylic is much more popular than the timber. Unfortunately turning the acrylic is about as much fun as running your thumb through the bandsaw but they do sell better.

I am sure that there are plenty of happy news tales out there but perhaps its time for Stinky to turn off the lathe and look for another hobby .... bandsaw box forum here I come :eek:

Skewpid
7th November 2006, 06:38 PM
I am sure that there are plenty of happy news tales out there but perhaps its time for Stinky to turn off the lathe and look for another hobby .... bandsaw box forum here I come :eek:

There there . . . we all question our faith from time to time;)

And ya know that a bandsaw box just dont cutt it! ...

Turning pens are like smoking cigarettes ... ya just gotta turn one, and ya feel so much better for doing so. Im sure spending a week on a bandsaw box just wouldnt feel the same!:o

Just think . .. at the bare minimum, you can sell them for what you paid for the kits suuuuuuurely! .. Thats a self sustaining hobby! How many of those are around eh?:confused: And .. have you ever tried signing your name with a bandsaw box?:mad: Just forget it!

lubbing5cherubs
7th November 2006, 06:51 PM
yea but while you are working on the slimline it cheaper to turn pens then smoking but those bereas and sierras and rose gold and the statesman etc and that makes smoking a cheaper option. hmm I gave up smoking because we could not afford it.. where's logic gone??
bye Toni

Touchwood
8th November 2006, 08:44 PM
Turning pens are like smoking cigarettes ... ya just gotta turn one, and ya feel so much better for doing so. Im sure spending a week on a bandsaw box just wouldnt feel the same!

After doing the cross pens, I gave a trial run one to our school chaplain ... every day for the next week he'd come up to me, grinning from ear to ear, pointing at the pen in his top pocket ....:D thats what makes it all worthwhile for me, not the money chinking in my pocket (helps pay for the hobby, but as I work full time, just a bonus!):rolleyes:

JD

chrisb691
8th November 2006, 10:04 PM

You could make bandsawn pen boxes. :D

lubbing5cherubs
10th November 2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Everybody,
our minister is doing a fundraiser to support our church. Can I give them to him to help with his fundraising?
Toni

chrisb691
10th November 2006, 04:59 PM
Fine by me.

Skewpid
10th November 2006, 05:11 PM
Thou shalt have my blessing:D

Fireman sam
10th November 2006, 05:56 PM
Hi All
just a short note to let you know that I have 5 pens if anyone is interested in them for a charity pm me if you are interested and i will pack them up and send them to you
thanks
Andrew:) :) :)

NewLondon88
26th November 2006, 09:56 AM
And .. have you ever tried signing your name with a bandsaw box?:mad:

Umm .. yes. But the judge said I am not allowed to do that anymore.

NewLondon88
27th November 2006, 09:51 AM
Just a reminder that I am referring to 1 of the 2 pens that we make each month.

dazzler

I'm sure this wasn't meant to be funny. By 'month' you meant 'hour', right?

lubbing5cherubs
27th November 2006, 10:04 AM
HI Mate the 2 pens that are being spoken of in this thread is the one that done the pen swap for charity. Each month a blank is sent out and you have 2 pens to do. This is the pens that are being talked of
Toni

NewLondon88
30th November 2006, 02:13 PM
HI Mate the 2 pens that are being spoken of in this thread is the one that done the pen swap for charity. Each month a blank is sent out and you have 2 pens to do. This is the pens that are being talked of
Toni

Aaaaahhh .. ok .. Now the "1-2 a month" makes sense.

I could do two pens a month for charity. I just hope the shipping to Aus. isn't TOO bad.. small price to pay for getting good advice here.

lubbing5cherubs
30th November 2006, 02:24 PM
perhaps check with the others but you do the same theme and then donate to a special charity nearer to you
just a thought
Toni

Stuart
30th November 2006, 05:55 PM
Doesn't have to be an Aussie charity - I'm sure there are plenty of charities in need more locally to you!

Finally got to fire up the lathe again this morning - first time in a couple of months - got a bit of a backlog happening :( I reason that if I can do a bit of catchup before Xmas it won't be so bad. Of course, I'm still hoping a mini Jet lathe might appear under the tree, so I might save some stock....just in case!

NewLondon88
4th December 2006, 09:14 AM
Doesn't have to be an Aussie charity - I'm sure there are plenty of charities in need more locally to you!

Sure.. but they're not the ones giving me good penturning advice.:D

LikeI read above, I could make a few and send them. I don't know of anyone here doing pens for charity, and two pens probably wouldn't affect anything. But two pens added to a hundred more might..

RufflyRustic
7th December 2006, 01:09 PM
Good news!!

I have now sold all the pens sent to me.

We raised a total of $250 for the child-related Charity. May I please have some names of charities so I can donate the money raised - it's burning a hole in my pocket :D

One comment received was that a pen cover with each pen would be appreciated. So, I whipped up a few leather ones.

If any penturners are interested in the covers, please let me know as I'd be happy to make more.

cheers
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th December 2006, 06:14 PM
Hmmm... what sort of price are you looking for, Wendy?

I use cheap velveteen pen slips for my sales; I don't particularly like 'em, but they protect the pens, and all of my timber pen boxes (commercially made) are for pen sets. ie. take 2 pens. It wasn't until after I posted the bundle that I thought I should've also thrown in some slips. :o

But some handcrafted slips for handcrafted pens, now that's appropriate! :D

And all kudos to you for your sales effort. 'Twas a job well done. http://www.ubeaut.biz/approval.gif

dai sensei
7th December 2006, 08:14 PM
Well done Wendy.:cool:

The charity auction we were to have at my work seems to have gone by the way side. Our "Fund Raising Committee" is as usefull as tits on a bull:mad: They decided it was too hard being so close to Xmas. Perhaps next year they say - pity half the team, most of the designers, will have gone by then:(

Touchwood
7th December 2006, 09:19 PM
Well done Wendy .. love the covers.

I made covers for the knives and quick un picks I made for my year 12's leaving gift - overlocked heavy plastic onto a bright fabric. Plastic give the visual bit, fabric gave the contrast bit. Another idea for you if you want it.

JD

RufflyRustic
8th December 2006, 10:34 AM
Good idea JD, Thanks.

Price - say 10 covers for one pen i.e. a swap :)

Neil - what a shame - it could have been huge fun :(

Cheers
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th December 2006, 04:55 PM
Price - say 10 covers for one pen i.e. a swap :)

Now, is that a bargain or what! :eek: Put me down for 500!

Just joashing, ;) I'll be in that. Any particular type of pen, timber or style take your fancy?

RufflyRustic
8th December 2006, 05:33 PM
:eek: 500 :confused:

http://www.ubeaut.biz/drop.gif

:D

Something Simple -hmm, any chance of doing one to the shape of Derek's Marking knives? I wonder if a shape can be copyrighted? :confused:

other than that one idea - surprise me :)

cheers
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th December 2006, 06:05 PM
Well... it'd empty my pen rack and give me some space for the next batch. :D

Like Derek's marking knives, eh? Now I wish I'd put my hand up for one... it'd be so much easier to work with one in hand for comparison. Actually I've been kicking myself anyway, this just rubs salt into the wound. :o

Hmmm... should be doable with a bit of creativity. I gather you don't particularly want a ferrule on the end? ;) Perhaps a slimline, but without the clip. I like a challenge!

keju
5th January 2007, 08:48 PM
As usual I'm wayyyyyy late finding this thread, just happened to read it and told Ken about it..... maybe it'll be a good idea for this year......
He said why not send pens to the troops serving in Iraq? A thank you from home, a message telling them they are appreciated?

Juvy

soundman
6th January 2007, 11:21 AM
If sombody would tell us how many there were and how to get them there it might be an option.

But I think ther might be some....."issues"..... with some members.
Probably best left alone.

cheers

keju
6th January 2007, 06:15 PM
Ok..... but I do have to say something .... if you refer to "issues" as not agreeing with the reasons our troops are there.... I'm with you....

People have to remember tho, it's not the soldier who chooses where he goes ..... he is following orders. He is out there risking his life because his country send him ... usually for little pay too. That's what I thought deserves recognition.

It's just like the program America has, where thousands of people send x-mas cards, letter and gifts to soldier employed overseas to let them know that they are appreciated.

If we don't have a program like that.... we should.

If soldiers are out..... how about all those heroic firefighters?? Everyone thinks of the usual charities and kids.... few remember any of these guys once the fires are out.

Juvy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th January 2007, 09:19 PM
I know that we didn't plan the "after" side of the swap very well... :- and in all honesty, although I'd like to say the swap is all about charity, to me it's more the fun of a bit of gentle, friendly competition. The charity side comes second. (I wonder what Freud would say of that? :rolleyes: )

Still, I believe that many of the swap sales have already gone to various charities. A couple of mine went to the Melb. Royal Children's Hossie and Wendy (Ruffly Rustic) sold a few more of them, although I've no idea what charity she chose. One good thing about every donating to the charity of their choice: no-one can complain that "this charity is more worthy."

Speaking of the Devil(ess): a BIG thank you to Wendy, who I believe has sold the most pens. :clap: :2tsup:

Touchwood
29th January 2007, 11:10 PM
A local girl, aged 17, is currently in Royal Perth Hospital awaiting a lung transplant!!!!:C

This is a synopsis of her illness .....

For those who may not be aware, Aimee has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Hypertension. Aimee is gravely ill.

Unfortunately the mean life expectancy, once diagnosed, is in the order of 2.6 years.

Two weeks ago (N>B this is now a month) she was admitted to Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital for tests at which point the diagnosis was made.

Last night Ian rang me to advise Aimee had been transferred to RPH to join their transplant program.

Please refer to the WEB site below for details on this illness.

www.phassociation.org/Learn/What-is-PH/index.asp

Today I received an email
As some of you may be aware, There was a meeting at the Dardanup Tavern to discuss fundraising for Aimee Blakiston. The decision has been made to set up a fund for Aimee. The first Fundraiser will be on 25th February 4pm to 10pm at the Dardanup Tavern. The Tavern are donating the venue and Some of the tavern staff are donating their time, There will be live entertainment donated and there will be an auction and raffle. If you have any donations please let me know and I will findout where they can be delivered. Tickets are $20 Adults and $10 children and available from the Dardanup General Store. For those that want to assist with fundraising, there is a meeting at the Dardanup Tavern at 6pm on Sunday 4th February.

Does anyone object if I offer the pens I still have on hand (those made after Ruffly Rustics sales) toward this auction? There are 3 months worth.

Jenny

lubbing5cherubs
29th January 2007, 11:16 PM
NO objection here Jenny as far as I am concern go for it. Good cause and I hope they raise her heaps of money
Toni

DJ’s Timber
29th January 2007, 11:16 PM
Go for it, in fact I will post some of mine to you tomorrow so you can include them as well

Touchwood
29th January 2007, 11:27 PM
Go for it, in fact I will post some of mine to you tomorrow so you can include them as well

WOW thanks, :2tsup: do you still have my address?

JD

DJ’s Timber
29th January 2007, 11:32 PM
WOW thanks, :2tsup: do you still have my address?

JD

Yep

soundman
30th January 2007, 10:50 PM
send me a pm or email if you want a couple more pens.
cheers