PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood bowl

BrettC
8th October 2006, 09:02 PM
Hi,

Just finished a Blackwood bowl this arvo, will be b'day present for sister. Woiuld have turned the walls a bit thinner but wanted this one to have a bit more weight to it.
Sanded up to 1200 then EEE and Shellawax. First time turning blackwood (only done about 8 or so bowls now all up). Very nice wood and good to turn.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th October 2006, 09:39 PM
Good treatment of the rim, your sister should love it.

Pity the photos don't show the blackwood to it's advantage, but they rarely do. It's one of those woods you need to see the moving play of light over to truly appreciate. :)

gazaly
8th October 2006, 10:35 PM
Very nice Brett, I realy like the colours, and as Skew said, the rim looks great.:)

ss_11000
9th October 2006, 04:52 PM
it looks great. interesting profile and cool finish too.

cheers

Auzzie turner
9th October 2006, 04:55 PM
Nice timber, what "kind" of blackwood is it? ie: Tasmanian blackwood, etc:

Nice finish, although bowls always look best with the undeneath/side going in one simple curvature:--IMO

Good going

Joash

BrettC
9th October 2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for comments all.
Wood is Tassie Blackwood as far as I am aware. Didn't actually know that there was other types but now I do - Have to save up my bikkies for that Bootle book wont I:rolleyes:

The profile is interesting - tend to agree with you Joash wasn't entirely happy with the final profile after some sanding, seems to look like it can't make up it's mind but still at the experimenting stage.

First time I've used the Supernova2 and reckon it's the ducks nuts compared to my old chuck, makes life a lot easier especially since the old one had nearly threaded the tightening allen key thingo - things tended to start going wonky after a few minutes of face work:mad: .

Reckon I'll be givin the new chuck a fwe more workouts over the next few weeks...

Auzzie turner
9th October 2006, 08:52 PM
I don't think it's tassie blackwood

oges
9th October 2006, 09:13 PM
Good looking bowl there Brett, like what you did with the rim.

echnidna
9th October 2006, 09:18 PM

Why?

Cliff Rogers
9th October 2006, 09:28 PM
Blackwood Acacia melanoxylon
Black Wattle Acacia melanoxylon
Blackwood, Black Wattle, Hickory, Sally Wattle, Mudgerabah
Blackwood occurs from northern Queensland to southern Tasmania between latitudes 16-43o S. It is found near sea level to 1500 m. In the tropical part of its distribution it is found only at higher altitudes. (QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC, SA, TAS)

Blackwood Acacia argyrodendron
Black Gidyea Acacia argyrodendron
Occurs in central Qld across the Great Divide from the Torrens Ck area E to the Isaac R. basin, particularly common in the Cape, Suttor and Belyando R. basins. Grows mostly in dark cracking clay, either alone or, on the southern and eastern edge of its range, with Brigalow ( Acacia harpophylla ).

Blackwood is also known as Black wattle & here are a few things known as Black Wattle.
Black Wattle Acacia aulacocarpa
Black Wattle Acacia auriculiformis
Black Wattle Acacia concurrens
Black Wattle Acacia crassicarpa
Black Wattle Acacia decurrens
Black Wattle Acacia hakeoides
Black Wattle Acacia implexa
Black Wattle Acacia leiocalyx
Black Wattle Acacia mangium
Black Wattle Acacia mearnsii
Black Wattle Acacia mollissima
Black Wattle Acacia neriifolia
Black Wattle Acacia plectocarpa
Black Wattle Acacia stenophylla
Black Wattle Callicoma serratifolia

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2006, 11:33 PM

What makes you say that? :confused:

Pic 1 has all the signs of chatoyance down the inner LH side, pic 2 has indicators on the near-verticals and pic 3 show it has the typical grain & colour. Looks like Tas. Blackwood to me!

Cliff Rogers
10th October 2006, 12:02 AM
Into the French now are we Skew? :)

Gil Jones
10th October 2006, 07:05 AM
Fine looking bowl, and that rim treatment is very well done.

Auzzie turner
10th October 2006, 10:45 AM
What makes you say that? :confused:

Pic 1 has all the signs of chatoyance down the inner LH side, pic 2 has indicators on the near-verticals and pic 3 show it has the typical grain & colour. Looks like Tas. Blackwood to me!
All Tasmanian blackwood I have, is black as ebony.

It is not a lightish colour like this one

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th October 2006, 05:23 PM
Sorry Joash, but Tas. Blackwood isn't black. I believe the name originated from the bark, not the timber... but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last. :D Check out this cabinet WIP (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=36733) by Auld Bassoon. That is Tas Blackwood and a damned nice piece of furniture! :) Care to post some pix of what you have? Not many Oz woods are black... perhaps we can better ID it for you.

Here's one of the attachments from that thread, which gives a pretty good idea of it's true colour. However, it's a highly chatoyant wood (ie. is full of the "cat's eye" effect) and it changes colour as you walk around it, from drabbish browns to highly glistening golds. Lovely stuff, it's a bit like walking past a hologram. ;)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32022&d=1160381673

Into the French now are we Skew? :)

Qui, je? Seulement quand il vient au vin et aux madamoiselles.

:rolleyes: Or something like that. :D

ss_11000
10th October 2006, 07:37 PM

jenna pal pal francie

( is that how you write it? )

cheers

ps. does any one know what it means?

Cliff Rogers
10th October 2006, 11:20 PM

Bablefish says
"Who, I? Only when it comes to the wine and the madamoiselles ones."

Auzzie turner
10th October 2006, 11:33 PM
Sorry, was thinking of AFRICAN (http://www.exoticwoodgroup.com/images/african_blackwood/AfrBla-Knife.jpg) blackwood

zenwood
11th October 2006, 06:31 PM
jenna pal pal francie

( is that how you write it? )

cheers

ps. does any one know what it means?

No: it's Je ne parle pas le francais, and it means I don't speak French.

That's a very kludgy translation by Babelfish of some very kludgy French.

That bowl looks like a nice piece of tassie blackwood to me.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th October 2006, 07:02 PM
That's a very kludgy translation by Babelfish of some very kludgy French.

Correct on both counts. I love Babel's quirks... it always reminds me of tourists mangling their way through those phrase dictionaries.

ss_11000
11th October 2006, 08:36 PM
No: it's Je ne parle pas le francais, and it means I don't speak French.
cool, so now i know how to write it. i knew what it meant but never knew how to write it ( my friend told me how to say it :) )

cheers

BrettC
11th October 2006, 09:11 PM
There was an article about chatoyance in a recent FWW from memory.
Cliff thanks for the run down on the blackwood - impressive. My form 4 french has suffered - ah zut!

matildasmate
1st October 2007, 08:59 PM
Hi Guys.......There are big variations in blackwood , I have some in me shed that is real chocolate and this lot I cut up a few days ago , this is SA grown blackwood , same breed though , just a diferent strain gene etc. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=57551

matildasmate
1st October 2007, 09:06 PM
Blackwood Acacia melanoxylon
Blackwood, Black Wattle, Hickory, Sally Wattle, Mudgerabah
Blackwood occurs from northern Queensland to southern Tasmania between latitudes 16-43o S. It is found near sea level to 1500 m. In the tropical part of its distribution it is found only at higher altitudes. (QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC, SA, TAS)

Blackwood Acacia argyrodendron
Black Gidyea Acacia argyrodendron
Occurs in central Qld across the Great Divide from the Torrens Ck area E to the Isaac R. basin, particularly common in the Cape, Suttor and Belyando R. basins. Grows mostly in dark cracking clay, either alone or, on the southern and eastern edge of its range, with Brigalow ( Acacia harpophylla ).

Blackwood is also known as Black wattle & here are a few things known as Black Wattle.
Black Wattle Acacia aulacocarpa
Black Wattle Acacia auriculiformis
Black Wattle Acacia concurrens
Black Wattle Acacia crassicarpa
Black Wattle Acacia decurrens
Black Wattle Acacia hakeoides
Black Wattle Acacia implexa
Black Wattle Acacia leiocalyx
Black Wattle Acacia mangium
Black Wattle Acacia mearnsii
Black Wattle Acacia mollissima
Black Wattle Acacia neriifolia
Black Wattle Acacia plectocarpa
Black Wattle Acacia stenophylla
Black Wattle Callicoma serratifolia
Hi Cliff We also get Blackwood growing , almost at sea level around here . We also get Black wattle , also an Acacia but definitely not the same tree , tends to have quite a bit of pink through the timber . Cheers MM

hutch
2nd October 2007, 08:53 AM
hi aussieturner just doing my kitchen up in blackwood very little of it is black i think it depends where in tassie it comes from