PDA

View Full Version : Goblets, two. Thanks to Skew.

OGYT
9th October 2006, 06:35 AM
Skew's tute gave me inspiration... :eek: uh.. tutorial... Skew's tutorial gave me inspiration. :D :D
The first one is Ash... think I left the stem too fat. :(
The second one is Red Oak. It was dry, and the inclusion goes all the way through. One spot is pretty bad, so I taped it while I was turning the inside.
The eggs and other stuff is just what my Bride has displayed. (I need to find a spot that I can set up and leave my photo tent.)
Thanks for the well-done tutorial, Skew.

chrisb691
9th October 2006, 09:06 AM
Nice work, well done. I hung on every word Skew wrote on his tute, can't wait to get my new lathe, and try one. :)

TTIT
9th October 2006, 09:31 AM
Good start Al :) Correct on the stem of the first one - a bit thick but still looks OK.:D

Hijack begins here - Pic 2 - whats the marbled grey egg and the black one made from???? I've got 56 in my ever-growing collection now - looking for more variance!:D

OGYT
9th October 2006, 09:32 AM
Chris, do you have a lathe on order? If so, I'll wager you're chompin' at the bit. This turning is more fun than anything... well... when you're my age, anyway. :o)

OGYT
9th October 2006, 09:36 AM
TTIT, thanks. The marbled lookin' egg is from wormy, spalted, birch; it wasn't big enough for much else. The black one is from African Ebony. Bought a stick of Ebony to make collars for hollow forms, and decided I'd make an expensive egg. :o)
They're fun to turn, aren't they?

RufflyRustic
9th October 2006, 09:39 AM
The cups look good OGYT! have to agree, the good advice and info available here is worth its weight in gold or maybe our favourite timber ;) :)

cheers
Wendy

Gil Jones
9th October 2006, 04:42 PM
Well-turned goblets, Al.
Smooth finishes too.

ss_11000
9th October 2006, 05:15 PM
very nice mate. that black egg looks awesome and so shiny.

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2006, 06:42 PM
Good stuff! I reckon the Red Oak one would've given you some headaches, with the inclusion running right through like that. But the final result is definitely worth the effort. :)

Yeah, the stem's a wee tad too thick for the form on the Ash one, but it's still a nice piece of work. Better than my first few attempts, which were promptly destroyed before anyone saw 'em. :o

Just as a matter of curiosity, did you also make the bowl stand on the right? Japanned? (Don't tell me it's ebony too...)

OGYT
10th October 2006, 04:05 AM
Thanks, Skew. Words appreciated.
Ebony bowl stand? Nope. Bought that bowl stand on clearance aisle at Wal-mart. Japanned? Does that mean "made in"? I think it is chiwanese! (Little sticker said "china".) Just black lacquered wood. :o)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th October 2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks, Skew. Words appreciated.
Ebony bowl stand? Nope. Bought that bowl stand on clearance aisle at Wal-mart. Japanned? Does that mean "made in"? I think it is chiwanese! (Little sticker said "china".) Just black lacquered wood. :o)

Japanning is a very old finishing technique, (like French Polishing) that lays down that rich, black lacquer most people associate with antique japanese furniture.

Never tried it for myself, but it's in the back of my head to go around the rim and/or base of one of my turnings. One day...

OGYT
11th October 2006, 02:41 PM
Now that you mention that, I have heard of it before. Would like to see some pics when you git r done.