PDA

View Full Version : Any one used these before

Purse
10th October 2006, 03:46 PM
I have access to about 40m2 of terracotta tiles. They are 200x200x15. Being so thin, im not sure what can be done with them.. Would they need a concrete base to able to pave a pergola with them, or would a solid roadbase/sand footing do the job?

Thanks in advance
Purse

woodsprite
10th October 2006, 11:58 PM
I reckon you are going to have to bed them in a cement/concrete mortar, due to the thickness (thinness). They can be a great feature, especially if they are old ones - but same even with newies. Reckon you will need a thin concrete slab first then lay them in a stiff mortar, but a good tile glue would do the job (except outside).

If they are outside, I suspect even a roadbase and sand bed will move enough over time for them to crack.

Let us know how you go with them.
Jeff

bitingmidge
11th October 2006, 07:57 AM
I have access to about 40m2 of terracotta tiles. They are 200x200x15. Being so thin, im not sure what can be done with them.

Errr... I don't understand what I'm missing. They are tiles. Why not tile something?

They certainly aren't designed to be pavers, so unless you are intending to use them as a means of temporarily keeping down dust, they need to be fixed to a solid sub-base.

P
:rolleyes:

Honorary Bloke
11th October 2006, 08:05 AM
They certainly aren't designed to be pavers, so unless you are intending to use them as a means of temporarily keeping down dust, they need to be fixed to a solid sub-base.

What Midge said. Terra Cotta is very sturdy if on a solid, FLAT sub-base, but unforgiving (like most tiles) on anything else. You would soon have shards and pieces. :(