PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange bowl

Grizz
10th October 2006, 06:46 PM
Hi all,

Another Osage Orange bowl. I think I must be getting better, this only took me about 4 hours. Any comments more than welcome.

Grizz.

Auzzie turner
10th October 2006, 07:04 PM
ok, got some pictures coming through now, good

Nice bowl, never tried the timber.

Only 4 hours??:eek:

Joash:cool:

ss_11000
10th October 2006, 07:14 PM
nice bowl mate. i like the form of the outside:cool: you got a pretty good finish to.

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th October 2006, 07:24 PM
Ahhh... ze Bois D'Arc, she is a lovely timber, no?

I like the form and you've put a nice finish on it, although the photos highlight the dreaded rings on the inside bottom. Are you using a rotary sander? If not, I'd suggest you seriously look at getting one... they really help to get rid of this. ;)

I've a few pieces in my racks, while I wait for inspiration. At the moment they're not talking to me... so they can sit there for a bit longer until they tell me what they want to be. :) Have you seen the fruit? :eek: Sometimes called Horse Apples or Monkey Balls... and I can see why!

DJ’s Timber
10th October 2006, 07:28 PM
Looks very nice, love the way the grain stands out

powderpost
10th October 2006, 08:14 PM
Nice bowl grizz. Try wrapping some sand paper around a piece of styrene foam to finish off the inside bottom. Foam is cheap and very plentiful.
Jim

Grizz
10th October 2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks all. Skew, my rotary sander doesn't really fit into a bowl of this size, so couldn't use it. The rings don't look quite so bad in real life though. And I know what you mean about the wood talking to you, this was not the original shape that I had planned :D. Powderpost, I like the foam idea. I'll try that next time.

Grizz.

rowie
10th October 2006, 09:54 PM
4 hours aint bad at all for such a tough wood. The Indians used it for their bows because of it's elasticity.

tashammer
10th October 2006, 11:31 PM
That is a rather nice style of bowl Grizz.

TTIT
10th October 2006, 11:38 PM
Skew, my rotary sander doesn't really fit into a bowl of this size, so couldn't use it.

The bowl looks good Grizz!:D but how big is your rotary sander - - or how small is the bowl????:)

I've got two small rounds of that stuff - seasoned over 20 years - they're harder than my chisels so they'll probably end up as mallet heads!:o

Gil Jones
11th October 2006, 02:17 AM
Good looking bowl from some nice wood.

OGYT
11th October 2006, 02:18 PM
Another Osage Orange bowl. I think I must be getting better, this only took me about 4 hours. Any comments more than welcome.

I like the bowl. I like the rim treatment. I like the finish. I like the lovely brown color. Matter of fact, its a right nice bowl!:D

Did you use Pepsodent on this bowl?:confused: :D You know... "you'll wonder where the yellow went; when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!" :cool:
Osage here in the upover is yellow as a canary when you first cut into it. Takes a few months in UV light to turn this lovely brown.
Was this some really old wood? Just curious. :p

Skew: "Sometimes called Horse Apples or Monkey Balls... and I can see why!" The indians used to dry these "apples", (which are actually balls of seeds) and shred them along a small furrow, planting the seeds. When they came up, they kept them trimmed, inside and out, leaving a fence to grow tall. The thorny limbs entertwined so thick that a chicken couldn't get through. Then, clipping the chicken's wings, they had a good chicken pen. (Never saw one, just read about it.):D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th October 2006, 03:52 PM
Osage here in the upover is yellow as a canary when you first cut into it. Takes a few months in UV light to turn this lovely brown.
Was this some really old wood? Just curious. :p

I recently gave some O/Orange to a young feller for turning into a pen... golden yellow when I gave it to him, a mellow brown when he'd finished. So I suspect that heat may also have something to do with it; the young bloke spent more time sanding than cutting. :rolleyes:

Grizz
11th October 2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks people, your comments are a great encouragement. To Rowie and Skew, out of the 4 hours, there was probably about 1 1/2 hours of sanding. Got some nasty digs that took a long time to get out :mad:. To OGYT, the wood was milled about 70 years ago so, yes, is pretty old. TTIT, hey, horrible thing to do to such a lovely wood :eek:. But I agree, damned hard on your chisels. My sharpening technique got a good workout with this piece. Now I've got orders for another 2 of them :D.

Grizz.