PDA

View Full Version : Scared the livin bejimminies outta the kids today!

Wild Dingo
11th October 2006, 12:50 AM
Yep there I was out in the shed cuttin some Jarrah boards on the table saw... kids outside muckin about... suddenly a small nanosecond of inattention and... BLAM!!

One peice of 18in x 2in Jarrah went soarin with the power of a farnarkaling north korean nuke outta the shed and BAM into the side of the house!! :eek: Scared the shyte out of all and sundry!!... no damage as the house is 50 yards from the shed an the power had gone outta it by then but WOW!!! can that wood SOAR!! :eek:

Tiffany who was on her way to visit me in the shed but had stopped to yak with the missus at the line had seen it exit the shed and followed it till it hit the house... couldnt believe it and rushed over to see if I was alright... and there I was shaking my head cursin an swearin like a demented chook on steroids at bein so bloody stoopid!! :mad: I have several rules in my shed particularily when Im workin around the tools one of them bein ONLY work the tools IF you have it together no distractions mind focused and in gear... I ignored that rule :(

Yes I took the flamin guard off the saw... yes I have it off all the time... yes I usually have no issues having it off... totally stoopid git a small moment of inattention and wham gone... no bloodletting thankfully just flamin phissed off is all... and ergo the reason Ive just gotta get a bloody small door fitted to this shed so I can leave that ruddy roller door behind the table saw closed!... bloody long walk to retrieve the hurtling peice of timber!... mind you if I had the door closed the damned thing woulda shot back and sconed me eh? :eek: Damn Im a lucky buggar! :cool: :D

Oh I take the guard off cause I generally make a lot of 1/4 and less strips and the damned guard tends to bind the wood rather than help... and well I couldnt bring myself to cut the incra fence when I set it up I mean its sooooooooooooo purty be a right shame to have to cut it to fit the guard back on eh? ;)

Anyway!! just a small warning about the dangers of table saw kickback... that chunk of Jarrah would have hurt like hell if it had sconed someone... and therein lies the reason the fambly has been told only to enter from the side roller door... its the other side of the table saw... but ol duuuhwent forgot the other one faces the back of the house eh :o

bsrlee
11th October 2006, 01:27 AM
A couple of big moving blankets or a golf practice net hung in the doorway should stop the errant missile & stop it bouncing back inside. Only really worthwhile if you are going to make a habit of this :D

Stu in Tokyo
11th October 2006, 06:34 AM
Lucky you!

For that small stuff, I like the bandsaw better, less kick back :)

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/wine_shelves/wine_shelves_jig_BB_sliced.jpg
Play safe!

Honorary Bloke
11th October 2006, 08:12 AM
Yikes!! :eek: :eek: Good job you weren't in the line of fire! :D

Gra
11th October 2006, 09:23 AM
hope you were wearing you brown underpants, if not I bet they are now......

scares the living @#$% out of you doesnt it...

RufflyRustic
11th October 2006, 09:27 AM
Geez Shane!! There's teaching the young'uns what to do and well, that is certainly an interesting way to teach 'em what not to do:eek:

Glad you are ok though.

cheers
Wendy

Andy Mac
11th October 2006, 09:37 AM
Scarey stuff WD, lucky no one was hurt. But I can understand your comment about guards getting in the way, especially if its dragging on the wood....and no, I don't wanna start another flurry of righteous indignation!:rolleyes: BTW does the saw have a riving knife fitted to it?
Hey Stu, that's some blade on your bandsaw, not overkill on that job is it!?:D

Cheers,

czk
11th October 2006, 03:50 PM
I had a similar one about a year ago...
I was shaping an arm for a chair on the router table with a template and pattern bit etc. I'd just finished when an 8 year old stuck his head in the door to ask if I was ready for lunch.
Stupidly, I looked up and BAM hit the spinning bit with the piece I was working on. The timber was flung at some ridiculous speed (fortunately away from the kid) and smashed into the wall at about head height for an 8 year old:eek:

Subsequently I had a change of rules, when the door is shut, DON'T OPEN!
and I now always shut the door when I use the machines.

Wild Dingo
11th October 2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah I spotted that blade!! :eek: man thats some serious blade for such tiny strips!

I tend to take 12 or so foot lengths of 6x1 Jarrah or such and cut strips out of it... dont ask :eek: ...Ive got this problem see :p ...and while I love me bandysaw sadly I havent yet set it up so the bandsaw would do it as well as the T/S... which Ive almost perfeckted (see above post :D)

This wasnt my "usual" sort of cuting I guess... sorta making a large mantle clock for number 2 daughter at present so unique timber sizes are needed... so there I was cutting and so it happened :( I coulda just said nothin and gone on but I thought well maybe others are also T/S guard haters and so this is a potential warning for them as well

Riving know IS attached to the ruddy guard! :mad: why they bloody do that I'll never know... I mean how hard would it be to make them 2 separate units eh? then that would make both camps happy wouldnt it?... Im going to look at the guard/riving knife setup later (when the ruddy rain buggars of :mad: rainin in the middle of October?? :rolleyes: ) see if I cant perhaps bodgy that a bit so it can go on without the guard who knows maybe I can nut something out eh! :D

Anyways the golf net thing is a good idea must investigate that :cool: although not an habitual "chunk of wood chucker" it does happen occasionally although this was a particularily nasty woodchuck :D usually I may let go one 1/4in x 12ft Jarrah spear chuck but that is all in the usual run of things... Im begining to think maybe I might make a bit of a "NO GO ZONE" around the shed? put up a bloody great tennis court fence and line it with golf course nettin an shoot the cockatoos who sit in the tree next to the shed and aim pine cones at me!! :D then I could be like the kookaburras in the other tree who laugh whenever Im around I could sit back an cackle as I watch the spray of black feathers wafting to the ground eh!! :D :D

cheers

Cross posting there mate... closing the doors isnt an option Im afraid... Ive gotta breathe!! the two roller doors are the only access and are situated to create a bit of a breezeway... forward thinking here mate its gonna be a bloody hot summer I reckon and a tin shed gets seriously HOT!! And as yet Ive not whacked a window in (have been havin some serious hessitations since reading a post here about havin ones shed broken into a window makes access for univited theives easy and access to those basturds should never be easy) so Im gonna have to work something out to stop the wood strips and chunks soaring... havent come close to the nippers yet they stick to the rules its only this dopey buggar who occasionally slips up! :rolleyes:

RufflyRustic
11th October 2006, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking that the flashing light that flashes whenever someone comes near or through the shed door could be a goer. Would need to be above the various shed dawgs' heights though.

cheers
Wendy

Tex B
11th October 2006, 04:47 PM
If you're using a shop built zero clearance insert, you can fit a riving knife into the insert, have it sticking up whatever height you want. I'll try and dig up a picture, but I'm sure the Table Saw book I have has a couple of examples.

Tex

John Saxton
11th October 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking that the flashing light that flashes whenever someone comes near or through the shed door could be a goer. Would need to be above the various shed dawgs' heights though.

cheers
Wendy

And don't forget the siren when WD cranks up the saw!:D

Near miss Shane ...glad to hear you & yours are OK

Cheers:)

echnidna
11th October 2006, 07:12 PM
So what's the next model airplane gunna looklike? ;)

Brown Dog
11th October 2006, 08:02 PM
I coulda just said nothin and gone on but I thought well maybe others are also T/S guard haters and so this is a potential warning for them as well

g'day WD, your story reminded me of something that I witnessed in high school as a young fella. A teacher was cutting small strips of pine for me on a TS when one of the strips launched itself backwards out through the machine room door into a courtyard full of students, missing one guy who was walking past by only a couple of feet. This saw definately had its guard attached and was being operated by someone who should have known what he was doing, although very red faced at the time . Just goes to show that even safety gear cant prevent all accidents.

I like to use feather boards, they are easy to adjust and have saved me a couple of times.

cheers Paul

Wild Dingo
11th October 2006, 09:23 PM
Paul I use a few different feather boards and such I just havent as yet worked out how to attach one to the Incra fro downward pressure... must be a way just none of the nuts and bits that came with mine fit in the top slots... but Im workin on something ;)

Tex... yep one of the first things I did was to make a zc insert (sheoak by the by! ;) but will take it off tomorrow and have a gander at how to attach one :cool:

Wendy and John... aahh the wonderous sight of a brilliant ORANGE (gotta match the olange inside the shed eh! ;) ) and the joyous sounds of BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT "oh theres dad at it again just stay INSIDE the house till the siren stops you'll be right" :p

Don51
11th October 2006, 09:57 PM
I had a similar bad experience in May 2005, 600mm * 600mm *16mm MDF back out of triton. I took my eye off the job big time.
Please excuse the belly photo but the colours are interesting. Knocked the stuffing out of me for about 5 minutes.

Stringy
21st October 2006, 01:35 PM
Thank heavens all is ok. Had a similar incident, lost half a chair leg off the spindle moulder, found leg a couple of days later on top of the shed door-the opposite end to where it flew - this was a big wake up call and guarding has since improved.
I also do a lot of trenching/rebating on the saw, which meant the old guard would be taken off :eek: , the riving knife is adjustable, so always stays in place. Dust was also a problem off the top of the blade.
The solution was to build a suva type guard which has an adjustable height stop so the timber can not be carried over the top of the blade.

scooter
21st October 2006, 10:59 PM
http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/wine_shelves/wine_shelves_jig_BB_sliced.jpg

Nice little scrolling blade there Stu... :) :D

Stu in Tokyo
22nd October 2006, 05:28 AM
Nice little scrolling blade there Stu... :) :D

It will cut circles.................... BIG circles :D

Farnk
22nd October 2006, 10:18 AM
Great story mate, I'm sure it's got us all thinking back to similar experiences and also having a look at what we're doing now.
Bad habits have a tendency to keep creeping back in eh?

I've got an ancient Dewalt radial arm saw that I use for trenching and basic mitres, etc. It can be setup at 90deg to cut parallel to the fence.
So, one day I need to cut some long strips, I duly setup the machine and I reckon 3 out of every 5 strips launched out the shed door!

Needless to say I got sick of this and transferred the job to the bs.

Shedhand
22nd October 2006, 11:00 AM
geez Ding..:eek:..but at least you didn't feed your finger into the blade....:(

JDarvall
22nd October 2006, 01:42 PM
Scared the livin bejimminies outta the kids today!

Well, that was bloody clever wasn't it !.....ya crazy redneck.....

yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaar.........woooooooooo......hooooooooooo
OOOOOOOH shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Chris Parks
30th October 2006, 12:03 PM
Have a look at this................

http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/product.asp?pID=384&cID=11&c=29047

It sits on a zero insert.

j.stevens
11th November 2006, 11:25 AM
I recently rearranged my workshop so the table saw, and myself are facing the open doors. I have too many nasty turns with people creeping up on me!