PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Tassie

Stuart
18th November 2002, 02:27 PM
Hi ya'all,

I'm heading down to Tassie for a week early December (specifically Launceston), and was wondering if there is any wood places in particular worth checking out. I'm flying (unfortunately), so large quantities of wood isn't an option, but I am very interested in getting my hands on some that are lathe 9and finish) friendly. Any suggestions on where to look, and what to look for would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Cliff Rogers
18th November 2002, 03:14 PM
G'day.

Contact Ray Oxford at Tamar House &
ask him to put you in touch with the
local turner's group. http://www.microtech.com.au/tamarhouse/tamar.htm
Ray used to be a committee member but I
don't know if he still is.

------------------
Catchya,
Cliff

Tim the Timber Turner
18th November 2002, 09:49 PM
Wooden Works, 21 Legana Drive, Legana.

Just outside Launceston.

Contact is Jim or Tony Baker.

Tel 03 6330 2522.

Cheers

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

nodrog
11th December 2002, 10:29 PM
A trip to heaven - were off back there in february. Last time the owner of the enchanted forrest in the Huon Valley put us on to her supplier in Gevaston - worth the trip if you can (travel in tassie is easy) plus put us on to the excess baggage with qantas - 20 kilos cost (2000) $10 per leg - check it out.

AlexS
12th December 2002, 07:46 AM
I believe there is a big new timber craft centre in Launceston - only opened in the last year or so, but supposed to be pretty good.

The timber suppliers in Geeveston are probably Phillips Sawmill. They're very helpful & knowledgable. Ph 6297 1116. Fair way from Launceston though.

Stuart
12th December 2002, 09:43 AM
Just got back- dropped into the Wooden Works - really good guys. Bought back a bag of samples to play with.

Next time, I'm going by ferry, and taking the trailer!

They were saying that they will be on the web shortly, with online purchasing etc, so worth looking out for!