PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Bearers to Posts

Dils
12th October 2006, 03:13 PM
Hi All

I have recently built a deck and have a question. I attached the bearers to the posts via (2) 100 x 10mm Cup Head Bolts. I am thinking that I should have probably notched out the posts and then mounted the bearers on these.

Question is. Are they ok as they are or should I do something more.

Thanks

silentC
12th October 2006, 04:00 PM
Yes you probably should have because you really want the bearer sitting on top of the post, not hanging off the side. Sounds like it's a bit late though. How big is the deck?

Dils
12th October 2006, 04:11 PM
The Deck is not that big. 8m x 1.7m. I was thinking of putting a piece of 100 x 50 angle under each bearer and attaching it with 2 x 50mm x 10mm coach bolts.

What do you think ?

silentC
12th October 2006, 04:32 PM
You'd get just as good results by putting another couple of bolts through the bearer and the post. The sheer strength of those bolts should be enough for a deck of that size. Put it this way, it's not the first deck that has been built that way. I did one like it about 10 years ago and as far as I know, it's still standing. I did use 12mm bolts though...

Sigidi
13th October 2006, 12:30 PM
M12 all the way:)
hex head too - personally I just have a preference for HH and stay away from Cupheads if I can because if they need to come out, cup heads turn:(

Bearers to posts - As silent said - won't be the first or last deck built that way, but it is a bit better if the bearer is notched into the post. Not too far and keep the head of the post 10-15mm lower than top of bearer - this allows for shrinkage of bearer (when I say not too far, on a 100mm post don't notch any deeper than 30mm)

Although having said all this... sometimes construction requires differnet methods. As an example I've just finished the first 3rd of my posts for the house and needed to place bearers ON TOP of the posts. So I guess, it really depends a lot about the situation.

hope this helps.

Oh one last thing - how come you are only going out 1.7m? just a question? thinking along the lines of you are doing the work already, the extra material will be a small price to pay as compared to finding out after the fact that 1.7m is small and may be restrictive once a chair or something has been placed on the deck, just a question?

Pulse
13th October 2006, 06:26 PM
I bolted my bearers to steel posts with M12 cuphead bolts... I think hex will be the go next time. I looked for "shear rings" at th time but I got blank looks everywhere! The bolt is strong in shear, but I was worried about the timber. I welded a bit of 40x40 angle under one where it was close to the end.

Cheers
Pulse

Dils
13th October 2006, 09:57 PM
Sigidi

The reason it is only 1.7 wide is because it is around a pool. It gets to 3m wide at the ends but only for about 500mm. Hope I have explained that well enough. It also only goes half way round the pool.

P.S. Thanks all for your responses. I appreciate it. I think I will put a 100 x 50 angle under each bearer and double coach bolt it in.

Sigidi
13th October 2006, 10:08 PM
cool mate,

all the info helps in trying to offer the best advice any of us can.

The only reason I asked about the 1.7m was a while ago I was working for a builder and around smoko he looked at my 'potential' house plans and in a nice way explained that anything less than about 2.4m ends up being cluttered when you start 'living' on it, just something which has stuck with me that's all.

But what you said makes sense - oh also post pics:)