PDA

View Full Version : Coffee table

dan_tom
13th October 2006, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone

We have just finished our new coffee table (we had to retire the old one with the quartz rock feature through the two split logs after friends had visited with their children: we'd find bobby pins and hundreds and thousands and all sorts of fanciful things in the rocks as hidden little surprises!!).

This coffee table is mortice and tenoned with the Domino and the top secured with buttons. I have a "thing" for old combustion stoves and gas stoves (Metters, Crown etc) and found this little oven door on ebay. Tom welded up a few screws to secure it in place. Whilst it's not functional, it's decorative! We glued it down, so those same little kids don't sit there and open and shut it constantly! We had originally designed a closed in section, but decided to change the design as it looked too dark underneath (our lounge room is not very well illuminated).

The legs are slightly tapered and the top is joined together with Dominos rather than biscuits. It's fairly solid and heavy!

Finished with orange oil and waxed/buffed up with Organoil.

Cheers
Dan and Tom

Wood Borer
13th October 2006, 09:27 AM
It is somewhat out of the ordinary and if someone had told me about it I would have been very sceptical.

After seeing the photos I like it. Have a greenie.

Wongo
13th October 2006, 09:58 AM
Dan and Tom

I am a big fan of your work and you have done it once again. Good work.

RufflyRustic
13th October 2006, 09:59 AM
Lovely coffee table Dan & Tom. I think that special touch on the end could be your 'markers' mark you know.....:confused:

Cheers
Wendy

DJ’s Timber
13th October 2006, 10:34 AM
Fantastic, absolutly love it

Bluegum
13th October 2006, 12:23 PM
yep top job there looks great guys.

namtrak
13th October 2006, 01:37 PM
Great stuff, guys.

Are they girl remotes or boy remotes?

Cheers

Tex B
13th October 2006, 01:43 PM
Lovely work Dan & Tom. Beautiful finish. Well done.

Tex

oges
13th October 2006, 06:19 PM
Lovely table and nicely finished off with the oven door.

javali
13th October 2006, 08:37 PM
Beautiful table

We glued it down, so those same little kids don't sit there and open and shut it constantly!
I am sure those kids will find some other methods of wrecking it. :)

Wild Dingo
13th October 2006, 09:09 PM
Well done!! Beautiful timbers and the unusual is always welcome in my book!! :cool:

Jill
13th October 2006, 11:47 PM
Great work, once again, Danielle and Tom! Love the old stove door! Very unique.

Lol - those little kids will probably grow up and have to build their own Dan/Tom inspired furniture, you realise, as they'll find shop bought furniture way too boring after experiencing yours!!!

Cheers,

Jill

Harry72
14th October 2006, 01:03 AM
Dani & Tom last name should be "creative"!
Nice work, nice and chunky.

martrix
14th October 2006, 01:13 AM
yep, another D&T special....really like the design.

I might have missed it, but what timbers did you use?
The figuring in the top is way coolhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

nt900
14th October 2006, 07:46 AM
Nice work Dan and Tom,

I particularly like the tapered legs. Usually I wouldn't, but the proportions of the table and timber thickness work really well and the tapers then seem to just fit in nicely. The thickness of the top, legs and slightly less heavy lower shelf just work for me. :)

The oven door looks great, the colours of the enamel work nicely with the timber. Some other coloured enamel (like the pink ones) might have been icky. Then again, could have also complemented the rich colour of the timber.... as you demonstrate, you just gotta give the materials and your imagination a chance and wacko! :D

Are Metters local (Australian, or QLD)? I have an IXL No. 4A cast iron stove in our kitchen. Useless bloody thing - probably puts out slightly less heat than your coffee table. :eek:

clubbyr8
14th October 2006, 08:30 AM
Love the design - sensational. Greenie sent.

Bob

bitingmidge
14th October 2006, 08:39 AM
Another tick from me! You blokes can send your old stuff up here anytime!

Looks like a Metters #4 too, had one of those in our first house!

Cheers,

P

Shannon
14th October 2006, 05:14 PM
Always look forward to your work, it is very inspiring and well finished.

Well done.