PDA

View Full Version : Rules of making "very" similar boxes.

JaD
13th October 2006, 08:57 PM
OK...Now I'm getting sucked right into this sort of work:rolleyes: :p ... What, if any, are the written OR "UNwritten" rules for bandsawn box making???? :confused:

I really like the look of this one which was linked to in a previous post, and I'd like to 'aveago at one:eek: :D

http://www.amiigas.com/clock2/clock2.htm

JD

Sculptured Box
13th October 2006, 11:25 PM
JaD

Welcome to the bandsawn box world, yes it is fun and rewarding.

Bandsaw box making is no different to work of any craftsman and women, where the maker achieves recognition for their original work.

Original work always remains the property of it's maker, others (without a licence/permit granted by the maker) may only be inspired by that work to create their own work.

You ask an interesting question, why not ask the same question of the turners and members of other forums?

Hickory
14th October 2006, 04:34 AM
Ward is right, You can make anything you want, copy anyone's design down to the scratches and markings, but you can only sell things that are released to the general public or liscensed to sell. Or your own design.

This holds true with Turnings and flatwares as well.

JaD
15th October 2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the points Tony......:)
I guess I should have thought of that myself before I asked:o :rolleyes:

What now intrigues me is the 90 views of my question and only you and Hickory reply:confused: :rolleyes:

See you at Trend, Tony:D

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th October 2006, 08:55 PM
What now intrigues me is the 90 views of my question and only you and Hickory reply:confused: :rolleyes:

I can't speak for others, but I didn't reply because Ward covered it concisely. What's to add? :)

I'll make a slight amenment to Hickory's post though... it applies to practically everything. ;)

powderpost
15th October 2006, 09:24 PM
I agree with what has been said. Why fill the board up with superflous repititions. I read many posts but don't add anything that has already said when I agree with it.
Jim

Bwillie
16th October 2006, 01:25 AM
A quick question along this threads lines...

What is the best way to enure my original work is not infringed on by others?

ICN,

Bill

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2006, 01:43 AM
ROFL! Need you ask? Don't mention it, don't post pictures or descriptions of it an d most especially don't post a WIP of it. :D

Babytoolman
16th October 2006, 09:17 AM
Hi Bill,
I am a Poet who has published a book and the unfortunate part of being creative and putting your stuff out there is that people will copy you and my publisist tells me that once it is out in the general public it is fair game. Yes, Tony is correct that you should acknowledge the original creator however this is very rarely done.
When i reproduce someones box design i always acknowlege where it came from.

Roger