PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Head Routers

PommiePete
14th October 2006, 06:34 AM
I've been trying to find a fixed head router here in NZ. I already have a Triton TRA001 mostly used on a table and a Bosch POF 500A used in a jig on a lathe (for fluting etc.) but you can never have too many routers. Only fixed head I could find locally is the Makita 3601B with the 'D' handle.
Took a look at Amazon and saw the Bosch 1617EV SPK which is a fixed base with a separate plunger base (two for the price of..!). Only problem is all US 120v.
An email to Bosch US asking if these were available 240v got the response to b....r off and contact the Aus site. Only problem is, Bosch Aus contact site was (is?) down.
Anyone out there know if these are available locally?

bsrlee
15th October 2006, 02:11 AM
If you can get the Makita you are ahead of Australia. For some unknown reason no-one will sell a 'fixed base' style router in Australia - the last one I know of was the GMC - which is not the best design I have found, at least I only paid $39 each for a couple when they were discontinued. No Porter Cable, DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Bosch etc. P.I.T.A :( :( :(

PommiePete
15th October 2006, 06:56 AM
Cheers for that. I won't be going with the Makita - it looks like the handle could be obstructive. I'll keep plugging away at Bosch to see if this new combo is to be released outside the US. If I get any news I'll post it.